Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Eschalon: Book III Released

Awakened_Yeti

Arcane
Developer
IM READY FOR THIS MOTHERFUCKER :bro:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I have high temptation for games with editors.
This time I go with magic, choosing the way of archer in Book II was silly.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Care to explain?
unambitious simplistic mechanics on the level of most jrpgs with little to no feedback on point ranges which was especially annoying in case of the automapping skil. little interaction with the world outside of combat as in straightforward simple dialogues, although that got very marginally improved upon in book 2. kinda feels like somebody without any passion for the genre tried to imitate a vogel game and make it prettier looking but with shittier gameplay and content.

Dokkalfar

Drog-kun~
Village Idiot
Dumbass, JRPGs almost never let you create your own character, they also rarely have traditional WRPG utility stuff like disarming traps, stealth, lockpicking, etc. Not to mention Cartography, gathering alchemy ingredients.

Either way, Eschalons appeal is not so much in the mechanics as the charm and serene feeling of being alone and camping in the wilderness, combined with the beautiful music and ambient sounds, and the prerendered 2d maps. Or rather, the mechanics are fine for the type of game it is. I view it as similar to the early Ultima titles.

The combat is supposed to simulate roguelike combat, the world is mapped in a square grid, which is why you can't click to move somewhere, you instead move in a direction. The complaints over walking speed are about the walking animation that plays when you move.

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
If I am not mistaken, *SPOILERS* the ending of Book II involved aliens (the grey more specifically).
So not buying just yet!

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
This is one of the few companies that made old-school turn-based cRPGs during the time of the deepest decline and I really enjoyed the first two games, so easy D1P from me. :takemymoney:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nice, though I haven't completed Book II yet, so I'll hold with my purchase until I'm done with it.

Tormented Seph

Scholar
Tried for 5 minutes: dead vs the first insects after 15 fucking MISS MISS MISS in succession...

Good Old Bastard RPG School! :incline:

Boxer

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
So. I did not remove Book One from the inventory and dug around a bit. The crawling speed that makes this game less fun than watching paint dry and grass grow is a fucking feature... The retarded dev thinks it creates atmosphere. Disgusting larper scum.

Anyway, Compatibility Mode to XP and Vsync forced off in the Drivers panel and voila, we can actually run now. Thank god the game is turnbased.. roffles

Played a bit around. Game is utter garbage. Combat consists of outranging, kiting and resting of the most vile fucking kind. You can barely take 2 enemies and have to rest for 16 hours gametime to restore mana... Rinse and repeat. Looking at the Wiki, it seems that Fire Dart, your first spell will The Best spell in terms of damage per mana point for the whole fucking game. Cept maybe when you cast Supernova on 10 enemies at once... Enemies drop lotsa XP so you have to kite around them... Quests are fetch'y, though I dont care about larp shit. Combat is idiotic, its like the pathetic Spiderweb gaymes but with only one viable spell... .. .

Waste of my time. Shouldnt even have downloaded this crap.

Xeon

Augur
Book 1, was decent I think. I maybe didn't experience or simply didn't notice the problem with walking speed but the only complaint I have is the too dark dungeons and nights. I had to cheat and give myself a high level Cartography so I get more details on the mini map and follow it. Torches barely helps and the Cat Eye effect doesn't seem to work and the only viable light source is Lanterns and they don't come easy unfortunately.

Book 3, Seems to have fixed that. If you mix Torches and the Cat Eye effect. You can walk comfortably without experiencing eye strains.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom