Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis V

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Yep, we will got EUV as next paradox game.

Tinto Talks #3 - March 13th, 2024​

Welcome to the third week of Tinto Talks, where we talk about our upcoming game, which has the codename “Project Caesar.” Today we are going to delve into something that some may view as controversial. If we go back to one of the pillars we mentioned in the first development diary, “Believable World,” it has 4 sub pillars, where two of them are important to bring forward to today.

Population
The simulation of the population will be what everything is based upon, economy, politics, and warfare.

Simulation, not Board Game.
Mechanics should feel like they fit together, so that you feel you play in a world, and not abstracted away to give the impression of being a board game.

So what does that mean for Project Caesar?
D4RGBO3N1xr8MhsfaTGT5DNNERZhnjijvnx4KgvFi0c2ZFBuMEvrfiht3yyayH6EloTJWJNKEh1VSCH_LsaJWUASqg1j0thITZivoIM3jtOzKM-IGlJFubDx6UZP-iMTRXmnCWAVsm5uKdmQD5F77i8

Every location that can be settled on the maps can have “pops,” or as we often refer to them in Project Caesar; People. Most of the locations have people already from the start of the game. Today we talk about how people are represented in our game, and hint at a few things they will impact in the game.

A single unit of people in a single location can be any size from one to a billion as long as they share the same three attributes, culture, religion, and social class. This unit of people we tend to refer to as a pop.
  • Culture, ie, if they are Catalan, Andalusi, Swedish, or something else.
  • Religion, ie, Catholic, Lutheran, Sunni etc. Nothing new.
  • Social Class. In Project Caesar we have 5 different social classes.
    • Nobles - These are the people at the top of the pyramid.
    • Clergy - These represent priests, monks, etc.
    • Burghers - These come from the towns and cities of a country.
    • Peasants - This is the bulk of the people.
    • Slaves - Only present in countries where it is legal.
TX1paNgsYnH4SO0ZWP2NOrbtNa8O20QO9w-Ps-VwjSN8uhMZca-pxt0P2kND5gOnejQfklB6AQpb_C3XH2cB9hF_6sd6GSxbsgygmOmvnUbPCfgWS_BvIq7fPQzBYgy0mYwAccRxR-vFvYfL5jptBMs

There are a few other statistics related to a Pop, where we first have their literacy, which impacts the technological advancement of the country they belong to, and it also impacts the Pop’s understanding of their position in life.

Another one is their current satisfaction, which if it becomes too low, will cause problems for someone. Satisfaction is currently affected by the country’s religious tolerance of their religion, their cultural view of the primary culture, the status of their culture, general instability in the country, <several things we can’t talk about just yet>, and of course specially scripted circumstances.

There are also indirect values and impacts from a Pop on the military, economical and political part of the game as well, which we will go into detail in future development diaries.

Populations can grow or decline over time, assimilate to other cultures, convert to religions, or even migrate.

Most importantly here though, while population is the foundation of the game, it is a system that is in the background, and you will only have indirect control over.

What about performance then?

One of the most important aspects of this has been to design this system and code it in a way that it scales nicely over time in the game, and also has no performance impact. Of course now that we talked about how detailed our map is with currently 27,518 unique locations on the map, and with many of them having pops, you may get worried.

14 years ago, we released a game called Victoria 2, that had 1/10th of the amount of locations, but we also had far more social classes (or pop-types) as we called them there. That game also had a deep political system where each pop cared about multiple issues, and much more that we don’t do here. All in a game that for all practical purposes was basically not multi-threaded in the gamelogic, and was still running fast enough at release.

Now we are building a game based on decades of experience, and so far the performance impact of having pops is not even noticeable.

Next week, we will talk about how governments work a bit, but here is a screenshot that some may like:

1710317019801.png

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
They will burn their flagship title to the ground like they did with everything else they've made.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
paradox cycle:

1 pre-release: this looks good, looks like they are learning. I'm optimistic.
2 launch: this is fun and a LOT better than [last game]
3 two weeks post-launch: yeah the more I play it the more I see just how much decline it is
4 two years post-launch: people are still playing this shit, it was already bad but [X] and/or [Y] expansion ruined it even further
5 four years post-launch: I will never buy another paradox strategy game again
6 game announcement: goto 1

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They will burn their flagship title to the ground like they did with everything else they've made.

They actually made the greatest change so far - introducing pops. Quite optimistic about this.
I mean... pops are "okay" in Stellaris.
In Vicky 3 they don't do anything because the game is just "click to make current shortage go away".

I'm not sure if I'd call that a great track record for pop systems.

As long as the game won't become that CK2/3 style of "medieval Sims" that focuses on personal shenanigans instead of actual country gameplay and map painting, I'll give EU5 a go.

I cannot get into EU4 anymore, I tried quite a few times. There are just too many systems stacked on top of each other but not interacting like a card house constantly on the brink of collapse. And after HoI4 I can't with that overly simplistic battle system anymore, either.

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
These "people" are a carbon copy of Victoria 2 pops, but with fewer classes (which makes sense given the time period). Guess Vic 3 reception scared Paradox enough so as to look back at past titles that worked and are still beloved? First sensible thing from them in a decade if that's the case.

Simulation, not Board Game.
Mechanics should feel like they fit together, so that you feel you play in a world, and not abstracted away to give the impression of being a board game.
This runs in complete opposite to the design trends they've subscribed to since at least EU4, so I'm not sure I believe them. After all, marketing dept would've told them that people like it if you tell them it's all simulated and not abstracted, so this might just be buzzwords. I suppose there's hope that Johan suffered a major mental break after Imperator and Vic3 and re-evaluated his whole perspective on game design, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I'd like to remind everyone that when Vic3 released diaries about their new war system, they made it sound so good that majority of the thread was hyped for it and anticipated major incline from the game. Now compare it to the dysfunctional piece of shit that whole thing actually ended up being. Paradox has talent at spinning tales in dev diaries.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:lol:
Looks like a mix of a few shit games in their nu generic engine. It have the map of imperator which was total shit.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Looks like a mix of a few shit games in their nu generic engine. It have the map of imperator which was total shit.
Imperator is widely considered to have the best map.

In any case the pops are also based on Imperator pops, not Vicky 2.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Imperator is widely considered to have the best map.

In any case the pops are also based on Imperator pops, not Vicky 2.

Latter seems reasonable, there's no need for the level of pop breakdown as in Vicky 2 in EU period.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Imperator slave pop juggling was objectively shitastic design. Though anything is better than EU4 mana/development.

It seems like Johan is leaning into Eu2/Eu3 stuff that was generally well received which is a good sign at the very least.

Bruno

Novice
I cannot get into EU4 anymore, I tried quite a few times. There are just too many systems stacked on top of each other but not interacting like a card house constantly on the brink of collapse. And after HoI4 I can't with that overly simplistic battle system anymore, either.
This is the curse of the bestselling Paradox games. They keep publishing DLCs until their games drown under the weight of the stacked systems. It has happened with EUIV and is currently happening with Stellaris.

The true mark of great skill is to create something that is simple yet awesome. To realize that some times a game is improved by cutting away something superflous, not by adding further complexity just for its own sake, adding to micromanagement.

But this is Paradox' business model. An EUV game will inevitably follow the same fate, so it gives me mixed feelings.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Imperator slave pop juggling was objectively shitastic design. Though anything is better than EU4 mana/development.

It seems like Johan is leaning into Eu2/Eu3 stuff that was generally well received which is a good sign at the very least.

The pop as abstract subject via stellaris early system feels like something designed for a cheeto fingers of mobile users. Just move that funny redditor pop with your thumb into that food tile to get that +3 updood. Feel good, and repeat like a cookie clicker tardo game. Imperator was at least step ahead, but it suffered from the same problem of pop being represented as unit instead of percent of population.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom