Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Everquest 2

Ortchel

Liturgist
Has anyone around here played it yet? Or for that matter know anything about it other than that it sucks based on title alone?

I only glanced at the website briefly but found the Troll race and the sheer amount of 'stealth' classes (I counted ten in total) to be enticing.

They appear to be packing a lot of content into the game, though I suppose that wouldn't matter if all the content blows.

Just curious.

DarkSign

Erudite
EQ2 has definitely surpassed my expectations.

What they have essentially done is make an MMO that plays like a single player game.
There are literally thousands of quests with voice-overs, backstory and interesting themes. While I must admit they arent super interactive, they are engaging and fun.

The downside is that things are hard to find. I happen to be an explorer/killer so I dont mind searching for things, but the /ooc channels are spammed with people too lazy to find things themselves.

While Im not saying its perfect, they definitely re-thought the perspective of the game's direction.

/tips cap

Ortchel

Liturgist
That sounds awesome. I'm a self described 'explorer', myself. I routinely spend hours finding all the mundane secrets for pitiful reward, just for the sake of completion.

How much is it per month? I can't find any specific numbers on the website, I'm pretty interested now, but a little uh .. broke.

DarkSign

Erudite
Admittedly its expensive...15$ a month, plus 50$ for the box. Thats the main reason why most people on this board hate MMOs.

But if you are an explorer or adventurer...they've done a good job at making it into the world's largest quest engine.

Anyone who plays...Im in a guild on the Unrest Server which could always use more good people. Send a tell to Strigoi.

Ortchel

Liturgist
Well, it costs as much as SWG, which openly blows, so it seems fair for a game that actually delivers. Though, having said that, I doubt I'll be getting it any time soon, I just don't have the money for it now. And it can't hurt to wait a few months for the kinks to get worked out as well.

xemous

Arcane
I was actually thinking about getting it myself. It's just been recently released so I'll wait a while until the bugs get sorted and 6600GT with another 512DDR and ill give it a go.

The trolls look awsome, smellly evil bastards.

Limorkil

Liturgist
DarkSign said:
What they have essentially done is make an MMO that plays like a single player game.
There are literally thousands of quests with voice-overs, backstory and interesting themes. While I must admit they arent super interactive, they are engaging and fun.

I am a bit cynical about MMORPGs so you must forgive me, but is this the usual "make it easy to solo at first to get people hooked and then turn it into a level grind once they are attached to their characters" tactic? I've played a bunch of MMORPGs in my time, including EQ, and the one thing I hate is how just when they sort out most of the bugs they introduce massive nerfs and forced grouping.

I'd actually be interested in reading a review of it from an unbiased source. We've been kept up to date with developments in games like WOW, but I haven't heard anything about EQ2.

xemous

Arcane
The review said you are forced to group, and that it took the bloke an hour to find a group, at the start of the game when most people were probably doing the same quest.
Rubbish.

fnordcircle

Liturgist
Frowning at my monitor as I read your dumb post.
I'm tempted to try it since I haven't tried any 'next gen' MMOs yet and finding a group isn't a problem since I got friends in a clan already. MMOs just are, uh, so repetitive it becomes monotonous. That and I'm already playing Eve which, while it is monotonous, lets you train skills offline.

Kortalh

Liturgist
Despite Exitium's obvious disdain for MMORPGs and (presumably) baseless hatred for EQ2, the game really is quite fun. It's obviously not a deep, involving storyline, nor is the combat system the X-Com/JaggedAlliance/SilentStorm type that I love.

I'm not gonna write a huge review here (my free time can be better spent playing it than talking about it :wink:), but here's a few good points to it:

- Combat includes "Heroic Opportunities". Rather than just turning on auto-attack and reading a book until the fight's over, you can start a sort of combo attack. They can be executed solo or with a group, but obviously a group with one of each archetype would do the best HOs. After initiating and triggering an HO, a wheel pops up with attacks required to complete the move. If the players successfully complete the HO before the timer runs out, a bonus feat will be activated (such as a powerful attack, or a temporary buff).

- Downtime is virtually non-existent. As long as you have a supply of food and drink on you (your character consumes it every 45? minutes automatically provided you've designated it for consumption), the most you have to wait is about 30 seconds. The better the food/drink, the faster the regen it provides.

- Soloing is possible from level 1 to level 50 (the highest). Yes, you need to group in order to do the really fun stuff (deep dungeon crawls, raids, ect), but it's very possible to solo the entire time you play -- particularly due to the lack of downtime.

- Some really great quest design. I won't lie and say that all the quests are unique. Most quests that I've seen are the traditional "Kill 5 gnolls" or "Take this book to Doolie Jones". But there are also some more inventive quests. Of particular note are the class archetype branch quests. Once you select the class you wish to become, you're given a mission related to that class. For example, my would-be Assassin in the evil city Freeport was assigned the task of sneaking into a house past a bunch of sailors and roaming guard dogs to assassinate their captain. If they spotted me, I would likely die.

Anyway, whether you like the game or not is your personal opinion. But I would advise you to put aside personal bias to at least see what the game's about before so thoroughly trashing it. :wink:

Ortchel

Liturgist
So? You have to pay a monthly fee for all MMOs, might as well pay it for a good one that lets loners like me (us?) do our thing unhindered.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I played the original EQ for a bit, but I never really got into it. I just kinda played it cause there was nothing else to do. I never really liked the combat aspect of the original. Not like I'll get EQ2, but I want to know honestly how is the combat compared to the first? when soloing is it completely automatic? Or do you actually have to make moves.

Kortalh

Liturgist
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'automatic'. If you mean "turn on auto-attack and go grab a soda", then definately not. If you want to kill anything worth killing while soloing, then you need to use every trick in the book to make sure that your enemy's health is lower than your own.

Combat while soloing isn't particularly deep, but there is a bit of strategy to it. A common situation is something along the lines of "should I use my special attack and hope for a good hit, or should I wait and hope I live long enough to pull off a Heroic Opportunity?"

If nothing else, it would be very difficult -- if not impossible -- for a person to 2-box in this game. Whether that makes it better or not is up for debate (and a matter of opinion, really), but at the very least, you'll never find yourself reading a book while your character is swinging his sword blindly.

geminito

Liturgist
Whether you prefer EQ2 or WoW (or hate them both equally) is a matter of personal preference. If you think games should feel more like work (and thus more rewarding when you get something new), then EQ2 is for you. If you don't want a game to feel like work, then WoW is for you. Blizzard always knows how to focus on fun factor, and WoW is no exception. For casual gamers, WoW is the one to play. People who play games 8 or more hours a day will probably prefer EQ2.

And if you're looking for a good single-player experience, why not try Vampire Bloodlines?!? Isn't it available TODAY?

Ortchel

Liturgist
Yes, it is, and I've got it. I just posted my first impressions in that thread, actually.

You play both EQ2 and WoW? How do you afford it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom