Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EverQuest in detail.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Wow was a very vocal groups answer to the hardships EQ had. Death and getting your corpse was one of the obvious changes.

"raiding" was one of the worst things in EQ and a last minute addition, btw
It's an experience. Catering to raiders beyond all else was the worst thing they did, going so far as to remove RP features like racial abilities and starting cities to streamline it all for raiding. The original game is the best of them all, my favorite windows desktop game over a phone line.

I find EQ unplayable after starting cities and racial abilities are removed. Call me crazy but I like the "RP" part of this MMORPG, I want to start in my native city. I want to mess with the faction system to turn friends to enemies and enemies to friends. I am not looking for the fastest path to the end-game treadmill.

Also do we have any idea what unique lewt the first Vox slayers got? I'm a sucker for MMO's that let players shape the worlds history. Think Kerafyrm was one of the best examples of such.

Mortmal

Arcane
That drop off in Kaesora though.. classic dungeon design (Kunark era, 1st expansion).

Could see stuff like that in VR again on quest2, first time i played everquest it was with a 3DFx card, even a phone is doing better now. Instead we get wow like mmos of course.

Magnum

Novice
That drop off in Kaesora though.. classic dungeon design (Kunark era, 1st expansion).

Could see stuff like that in VR again on quest2, first time i played everquest it was with a 3DFx card, even a phone is doing better now. Instead we get wow like mmos of course.

There is a guy on the p99 forums who has transfered some zones over to VR. I won't knock on those devices, if its your thing. I will just say that VR requires its own thing, EQ doesn't translate over to it. Swinging your arms around to move a sword in-game just doesn't make any sense, it becomes something all together different. Using your thumb-controls to move up to a Orc Warrior and click a thumb-button to Auto-Attack for a 2-3 minute fight while you basically stand there in real life doesn't make any sense either.

VR is not a direct evolution of the desktop (windows) computer.

Poseidon00

Arcane

There is a guy on the p99 forums who has transfered some zones over to VR. I won't knock on those devices, if its your thing. I will just say that VR requires its own thing, EQ doesn't translate over to it. Swinging your arms around to move a sword in-game just doesn't make any sense, it becomes something all together different. Using your thumb-controls to move up to a Orc Warrior and click a thumb-button to Auto-Attack for a 2-3 minute fight while you basically stand there in real life doesn't make any sense either.

Fully half my gaming time is in VR nowadays, but yeah, EQ is definitely not suited to the platform. At most I would do tourism things like in some other games; if I wanted to walk around Queynos and look around like I was really there or something, maybe i'd check it out.

EQ2, although I don't play it, seems much better designed to be VR compatible.

Mortmal

Arcane

Of course not a direct translation, but keep the level design, the level of graphics similar or just a bit better. Then less combat but more intense with hand movements to cast spells and strike with swords, that would be great. Much less grind cause the human body would not handle it.

Magnum

Novice

Of course not a direct translation, but keep the level design, the level of graphics similar or just a bit better. Then less combat but more intense with hand movements to cast spells and strike with swords, that would be great. Much less grind cause the human body would not handle it.

There would be no damage/delay on weaponry or bows. Fundamental change, visually only resembles EQ as you mentioned but isn't anything like it at all. Just a cool little VR trip for that niche-tech interest. Item value, trading and the economic side would have to be reworked or not included at all because you swing as fast your arm can.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane

There would be no damage/delay on weaponry or bows. Fundamental change, visually only resembles EQ as you mentioned but isn't anything like it at all. Just a cool little VR trip for that niche-tech interest. Item value, trading and the economic side would have to be reworked or not included at all because you swing as fast your arm can.

In spirit i mean, the same aesthetics , keith parkison like art, the same atmosphere the feeling of exploring a new world . Tough and hard dungeon delving you need to cooperate with people to complete . Of course every mechanics had to be reworked and balanced around real movements.

Magnum

Novice

In spirit i mean, the same aesthetics , keith parkison like art, the same atmosphere the feeling of exploring a new world . Tough and hard dungeon delving you need to cooperate with people to complete . Of course every mechanics had to be reworked and balanced around real movements.

Yeah, it's a hack n' slash mechanic. I get what you are saying, its a VR experience inspired by EQ with the things you mentioned. It's just something I have no intellectual interest in pursuing.

There was a console version of Everquest. This was during the PS2 era when Sony scared the bejeezus out of Microsoft by including a DVD-drive, this was before the Vista/360 standards were imposed. Everquest would have been a multiplatform controller experience like Bioshock with a STEAM logo on the disc-less box, read: a forgettable experience easily discarded. Hell, it even works on Android and iOS.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Champions of norrath, i remember too that it was somewhat popular. Nothing going to happen ayway its a license dead and buried.

Magnum

Novice
Champions of norrath, i remember too that it was somewhat popular. Nothing going to happen ayway its a license dead and buried.
Thank goodness, after the downgrade of witnessing EQ: Landmark & wow-inspired EQ: NEXT.. really glad they finally stopped watering the whiskey down and let it go.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
You could get levitate and invis and float down.

I tried it but the invsibibility drops after I loot my corpse and I can't use /corpse there...
At that point you gotta do /corpse and drag it to somewhere safe that you can loot up. But you gotta con stuff as you go so you don't run into see invis stuff. Or yea just pay a higher lvl to summon it. Although a higher level Nec could just jump down and grab it and run back up lol.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Thank goodness, after the downgrade of witnessing EQ: Landmark & wow-inspired EQ: NEXT.. really glad they finally stopped watering the whiskey down and let it go.

They already attempted to copy wow in EQ2... I played a bit of EQ2, liked that necros have way more pets to chose from but really disliked the graphics, railroad, UI and other things.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I thought EQ2 was okay. I liked how races weren't bound to classes anymore. Doing the betrayal quest is fun the first time if you have someone to help you. If you don't, well, sucks to be you. I had a Froglok necromancer, but I can't remember which server, way too long ago. I went back when Sarnak's become playable, but I didn't last long due to time constraints.
My dear, sweet mum is still a Senior Guide in EQ2, forever immortalized with a collectable doll.

Codex Year of the Donut
EQ2 crafting was great.
Also the mercenary system, forgot the name for it. Came later but i liked it. You collect them from around the entire game, some from very long quest chains, others that are rare spawns etc.,.
Really good class diversity too. Some classes could even switch between the good/evil versions of their class.

Main thing that killed EQ2 was performance. The game still runs like shit.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
A lot of people were stopped right from the get go because of just how much of a pig the game was. Also, have fun if you're installing from CDs.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Main thing that killed EQ2 was performance. The game still runs like shit.
64bit has helped a bit. One of my rigs is up to 4.3ghz cpu and it runs pretty ok. I have had a love / hate with EQ2 over the years with the hate side of it being almost entirely performance related.

My dear, sweet mum is still a Senior Guide in EQ2, forever immortalized with a collectable doll.

Thats so damn cool. Does she do guide quests on AB?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
After a very long pause, I think that I will move back to p99. Is Velious an good place to farm? I'm farming in Kunark at lv 31 at moment.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
25 years ago today, Everquest launched.

qeynos2-entrance.jpg

Supermedo

Augur
Threads like this make me regret not being able to experience the golden age of MMOs, especially since the only multiplayer game my real-life friends knew was Fifa. Now that I'm older and have tried getting into MMOs like ESO/EQ2, I find that people ignore me when I try to talk to them, and guilds require you to have a meta build with an optimized rotation if you want to join their guild and do any kind of raids.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Threads like this make me regret not being able to experience the golden age of MMOs, especially since the only multiplayer game my real-life friends knew was Fifa. Now that I'm older and have tried getting into MMOs like ESO/EQ2, I find that people ignore me when I try to talk to them, and guilds require you to have a meta build with an optimized rotation if you want to join their guild and do any kind of raids.

You can play Project 1999

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom