Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Exclusive first look at the future of Total War" - July 6/7th

• Thread starter A horse of course
  • Start date

Captain Shrek

Have you tried Napoleon? I heard its great. I own it, but I haven't had an opportunity to play it, because if its good it will be a time sink which I am trying to avoid right now.

It's not bad. With mods it's pretty solid, even. Its main problem is its much smaller scale and less playable nations (although mods let you play as all nations, so no problem there) and the fact that it's standalone without imrpoving Empire caused some (understandable) butthurt. The engine is much improved from Empire, battles are much smoother (square formation works a lot better for example), it's more atmospheric than Empire, it's got a bit better AI than Empire, it's basically what Empire should've been from the start - only that it has a rather small map.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1432

Do try some of these mods to check out which plays best for you. They're all major improvements on vanilla. I'm currently on DarthMod with Austria, and it's even slightly challenging (I even lost a battle with almost equal forces once or twice, and lost provinces to the AI which even threatened my capital more than once).

:bro:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Have you tried Napoleon? I heard its great. I own it, but I haven't had an opportunity to play it, because if its good it will be a time sink which I am trying to avoid right now.

I tried Empire 1.6. BB Edition. It was quite nice, thought the main focus was mostly on canons. 20 minutes per land battle solved the problem.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
As a Total War fan more than an RPG fan I'm quite excited for ROME 2. I find the Total War series far superior than Most other strategy games due to the tactical nature of battles and less pressure for overland strategy like say, Crusader Kings. Formulating grand strategies against terrible AI (you have to treat the entire map as enemies, you can't even make solid alliances no matter how hard you try, and I have tried and tried) is rather burdensome. :smug:

I've never played Shogun 2 so I don't know if they've improved the AI since the abysmal Medieval 2.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The best Total War is Medieval 1, because you could marry your daughters to you sons and keep it all in family, and it didnt have tedious strategic map movement.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
The best Total War is Medieval 1, because you could marry your daughters to you sons and keep it all in family, and it didnt have tedious strategic map movement.

I've never played anything before Rome. If what you say is true, why did they make a game that's apparently solid on grand battles and tactics tedious with overland "strategy" that's sluggish and with terrible AI??
:killit:

Now I need to try to find a way to play Medieval 1 or Shogun 1 if possible.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I've never played Shogun 2 so I don't know if they've improved the AI since the abysmal Medieval 2.
Not as much as they should have. Some people swear the AI is better but from playing the game I can tell you that it's still stupid and the majority of difficulty at higher levels comes from the AI cheating like a bitch.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There are so many eras that would be interesting and that they still haven't tried, a return to Rome would be kinda lame. Esepcially since Rome was the most historically incorrect of all their titles, so Rome 2 will probably be just as facepalm-worthy.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There are so many eras that would be interesting and that they still haven't tried, a return to Rome would be kinda lame. Esepcially since Rome was the most historically incorrect of all their titles, so Rome 2 will probably be just as facepalm-worthy.

The real advantage of Rome 2 - possibility for "Antiquity Total War"/Ancient Near East expansion pack (they already did the Barbarian Invasion period in RTW1)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
True, they also did an Alexander expansion for Rome. Early antiquity might very well be possible in an expansion pack.

But then, I shudder to think what it would look like. Hollywood Trojans. Tower of Babel based on well-known renaissance paintings. YEAAAAH

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera

Oh, but I liked setting pigs on fire to scare elephants while my Roman ninjas ambush their light infantry.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I had written off CA because of their constant decline and barrage of lies and deception towards their customers and fans. Shogun 2 has been some shocking improvement on that though. Let's hope Rome 2 will continue the path towards incline.

And inside me there still is that little part of me cheering that absolutely adored the first Rome and poured countless hours into it and its expansions. Fuck historical accuracy. This shit was fun.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
If it is Rome 2, they can make it entirely about unifying the Italian peninsula. Instead of the tiring rise of Rome scenario.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
If it is Rome 2, they can make it entirely about unifying the Italian peninsula. Instead of the tiring rise of Rome scenario.

It's not "Rome" if it doesn't involve fighting off barbarians or Carthaginians.
There ware Gallic invasions of Italy and a conflict with Carthage can be included in an expansion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom