Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Expeditions: Conquistador, Turn-based Tactical RPG Now on Kickstarter

The_scorpion

Liturgist
dese guys know all the right Buzzwords to make the 'Dex drool

G Ziets

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
Great concept. It has three of my favorite things: historical setting, turn-based combat, and choices & consequences. Also, it reminds me of the classic Seven Cities of Gold, which I still regard as brilliant. (And I'm wondering if that was a source of inspiration?)

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Backed. One of the people involved was behind The Nameless Mod for Deus Ex and that's all the credentials i need. I might consider upping the pledge down the line, but i'll probably be a bit short on cash in a month to go for physical rewards this time.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
Will the player encounter Cortes in the game? How will the spread of smallpox effect things?

Santander02

Arcane
Do we know their position on atrocities towards the natives?
We are very aware of the atrocities committed by the Conquistadors. The Conquistadors were not what we consider good people, or righteous as they saw themselves and who saw the natives as sub-human.
This game will be chock-full of the assholes you'd imagine went there. You'll be presented with lots of scenarios where you'll have the option of being as ruthless as history was, but it wont be a lecture and neither will it be completely black and white.
The game wont force you to be a tyrant, but you'll be surrounded by them and it's up to you as a player to decide how you want to act.

Sounds cool, though I hope you're also taking into account the fact the Aztecs themeselves were not exactly peaceful and non-expansionist either...

300px-Codex_Magliabechiano_%28141_cropped%29.jpg
HST%20351.jpg
awar2.gif

Also considering the big role the church had during this time period, is religion going to be an important element in the game?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The Church dominated ALL thinking at the time during this particular episode in History. That is like asking if sunlight allowed people to see in the daytime.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
It would be nice if your Conquistador protagonist would be able to convert to the native religion. Don't focus too much on the Aztec human sacrifice thing either. They were hardly alone in this cultural practice and Spanish propaganda has deceived people into believing ridiculous numbers.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It would be nice if your Conquistador protagonist would be able to convert to the native religion. Don't focus too much on the Aztec human sacrifice thing either. They were hardly alone in this cultural practice and Spanish propaganda has deceived people into believing ridiculous numbers.

None of that mattered at ALL to the Conquistador's.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
TBH, i don't see how playing the Aztec side would work, considering they most likely could have stopped the spanish at the beginning... but didn't for inexplicable cultural reasons. Not at all like the indian nations of north-america, that only united into a confederation far too late, this was a empire.
I guess the Aztecs had the problem of being esclavagists too, like Sparta.

I'm really glad portugal didn't get into that mess, that still stinks 500 years later, probably because we hadn't the land armies to play at empire too much at the time - though the country did get absorbed momentarily by spain a few decades after probably for the same reason. Glass half-full shit.

Morkar Left

Some of them wear spacesuits, that's pretty cool. Maybe everything is true with aliens landing on earth? On the other hand some are wearing asylum dresses...

I don't think that's realistic. Maybe as a lip service to gain some benefit from the natives. I think the best outcome that could happen would be a general religious tolerance.

Totally unrelated: Lip service? Really, that's what "Lippenbekenntnis" is in English? Sounds more like a elegant version of blow job.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Uhh... On the one hand you're going for 'realism', with a non 'black and white' approach to the issue, but on the other hand you're putting in female Conquistadores..?

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Uhh... On the one hand you're going for 'realism', with a non 'black and white' approach to the issue, but on the other hand you're putting in female Conquistadores..?

We've never claimed to be going for realism, but we do try to keep everything down to earth. We're inspired by historical events, but that's not to say we're based on them. As for female conquistadors, the intention was to provide the player with some interesting roleplaying opportunities.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Those are rare exceptions.

The player character may be female, like those examples you're showing me, but the dev is talking about a party full of females, i.e., the regular grunts.

Morkar Left

I guess you are not going to play commoners but exceptional, outstanding people. At least they will develop into ones who aren't already (exceptionals is not the same as hero).

Santander02

Arcane
The Church dominated ALL thinking at the time during this particular episode in History. That is like asking if sunlight allowed people to see in the daytime.

I know that, what I am asking is how involved will it be, like is it going to be just window dressing or is the church going to be some sort faction on its own that you can do quest for (if so what sort of quest?) or even oppose?.

Marsal

Arcane

We've never claimed to be going for realism, but we do try to keep everything down to earth. We're inspired by historical events, but that's not to say we're based on them. As for female conquistadors, the intention was to provide the player with some interesting roleplaying opportunities.
Tasteful rape confirmed!!!

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Those are rare exceptions.

The player character may be female, like those examples you're showing me, but the dev is talking about a party full of females, i.e., the regular grunts.

Yeah I pretty much lost interest when I found out he was putting in a full party's worth.

It's a sign the historical atmosphere won't be very good.

Didn't Castillian law ban Spanish women from traveling to the New World unless they were married and accompanied by a husband?

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
We indeed have all the humanity in its both genius and madness on this boards. Don't mind few womyn conquiscadors when they're unique and exceptional characters, heck throw some jewish converso to the mix. AoD was not realistic portrait of Roman Empire at all and it's still great game.

almondblight

Arcane
Looks great. Just make sure you have plenty of interviews, reddit chats, gameplay vids, etc., to get enough exposure.

kaizoku

Arcane
TBH, i don't see how playing the Aztec side would work, considering they most likely could have stopped the spanish at the beginning... but didn't for inexplicable cultural reasons. Not at all like the indian nations of north-america, that only united into a confederation far too late, this was a empire.
I guess the Aztecs had the problem of being esclavagists too, like Sparta.
You said it yourself. That is exactly the thing they can pick up and go from there.

I'm really glad portugal didn't get into that mess, that still stinks 500 years later, probably because we hadn't the land armies to play at empire too much at the time - though the country did get absorbed momentarily by spain a few decades after probably for the same reason. Glass half-full shit.
you from portugal?

romances? tasteful rape? :smug:

I was also wondering on how common were female sailors in the xiv and xv centuries. I guess we all have the idea that their number was either slim or none at all, mostly by influence of what we see on movies.
But was that really the case?
http://www.amazon.com/Women-Sailors-Untold-Maritime-History/dp/0375500413 (not relative to the XV, but I haven't found any useful reference yet)
Did men really wanted to spend months in the sea without getting any?

Morkar Left

We indeed have all the humanity in its both genius and madness on this boards. Don't mind few womyn conquiscadors when they're unique and exceptional characters, heck throw some jewish converso to the mix. AoD was not realistic portrait of Roman Empire at all and it's still great game.

And Darklands wasn't either.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist

None of that mattered at ALL to the Conquistador's.
What I mean is that not every bloody conversation or mention of the Aztecs should mention human sacrifice constantly. Neither should it be portrayed as the most EVILLLL! thing ever and have that fact hammered into the players brains. The religion thing would get more trust from the natives affecting and change the nature of the storyline in a significant way.
Wow, Aztlan fanatics on the Codex. We truly have it all.
I have no shame, only pride!

oscar

Arcane
You mentioned the battles will mainly be 6 v 6 affairs, but will there be any larger set-piece battles? Could be fun to take part in the occasional large battle or having to fend off a large (30? 40?) native raiding party with your hardy band of Spaniards, or helping one faction of natives against the other.

The 6 v 6 thing is also pretty interesting. Wouldn't a sword and plate-armour equipped conquistador be worth many loincloth and club-wielding natives in a straight fight?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom