Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Rome - the final Expeditions game from Logic Artists

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
But in RPGs? How many role-playing games set in historical, late
Age of Decadence
Dungeon Rats
Titan Quest
Jason and the Argonauts
Invictus in the Shadow of Olympus
A legionary's life
Nethergate
Et cetera.
I know you said historical.

Ok, I accept Legionary's Life. And maybe Nethergate, although the setting is not very historical.

The rest? Most of them are closer to some fantasy version of ancient Greece.

Actually, ancient Greece (In more "realistic" and "fantastic" versions) was represented in more numerous RPGs:

Alexander: The Heroes Hour
Rise of the Argonauts
Numen: Contest of Heroes
Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
Theseus: Journey to Athens

Still not much, but more.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Age of Decadence
Dungeon Rats
role-playing games set in historical, late Republican/early Imperial Rome
No.
Eh I don't think any game other than Legionary's Life comes close to matching his criteria anyway.

Ryse: Son of Rome is set in a bizarre version of early Roman Empire (in which rebellious Brits use war elephants to storm the city of Rome). But I heard it's not really RPG, despite gathering experience and gaining levels.

Haven't played it yet, so can't really comment on the genre issue.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Age of Decadence
Dungeon Rats
No.
Eh I don't think any game other than Legionary's Life comes close to matching his criteria anyway.
Yeah, but Age of Decadence and Dungeon Rats don't even pretend to be somewhat historical.
Those games just have Roman aesthetics and similar sounding names on characters.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Age of Decadence
Dungeon Rats
No.
Yeah, but Age of Decadence and Dungeon Rats don't even pretend to be somewhat historical.
Those games just have Roman aesthetics and similar sounding names on characters.
I know, I just threw them in for alphabetical order.

Men, dis gunna be gud.

Vikings was awesome, one of the most underrated games here, and now with hopefully more funding from THQ, and lessons learned from the previous two games, they might roll out a real masterpiece.

deuxhero

Arcane
On the lack of time limit, going by the screenshots on Steam, there's a strategic layer for gameplay. it's possible there's no "hard" timelimit, but waiting around and rest spamming gives the enemy time to reinforce.

Vatnik Wumao
On the lack of time limit, going by the screenshots on Steam, there's a strategic layer for gameplay. it's possible there's no "hard" timelimit, but waiting around and rest spamming gives the enemy time to reinforce.
Timing within encounters is alright. Adds to the strategic depth without detracting from a relaxed playthrough.

ColCol

Arcane
I've enjoyed all of the series so far and the fact that they are continuing the series shows that there is at least some incline still out there. I would prefer if the gameplay was a bit closer to the first, exploration-wise. I also have to say I don't like that they are moving away from open character creation (to my understanding).

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Age of Decadence
Dungeon Rats
No.

How far our civilization has fallen, that we forget the glory days of Rome: Pathway to Power.

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/rome-pathway-to-power-1ma

rome-pathway-to-power_4.gif

Also, this new expeditions is day 1 purchase for me

Edit: another suggestion, Teudogar and the Alliance of Rome. Definitely a solid game, one of my favourites.

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
Thought the studio was dead/on life-support after the demise of that Divinity spin-off, glad to see they are back for another round.

Seems THQN spared no efforts, eh? Shiny graphics and full voice acting, hadn't expected it. Hopefully Logic Artists' newfound funding will also translate into improved gameplay and deeper c&c.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Age of Decadence
Dungeon Rats
No.

How far our civilization has fallen, that we forget the glory days of Rome: Pathway to Power.

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/rome-pathway-to-power-1ma

rome-pathway-to-power_4.gif

Also, this new expeditions is day 1 purchase for me

Edit: another suggestion, Teudogar and the Alliance of Rome. Definitely a solid game, one of my favourites.

Indeed how could I forget about Teudogar, a game I greatly enjoyed and about which I even wrote a mini-review!

However I heard Pathway to Power is more of an adventure game.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Pathway to Power is weird. It starts as an adventure game, then it becomes a very, very bad strategy game once you get to Egypt.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Will be interesting to see how the weapon dynamics change between Rome and Viking - in Viking, Shields and bows were definitely stronger than the other types.
I just hope we will be able to do some mini phalanx formations.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Teudogar and the Alliance of Rome.
Set in the time of Rome, but in Germanic areas right?

Yes. Imagine the Ultima 7 engine but combat isn't a chaotic mess, and the main character is a German tribesman during the time of the Roman Empire. You don't visit Rome (or any major urban area at all), but you do get to interact with some Romans who have wandered into Germania.

It's available for free now if anyone wants to check it out.

Vatnik Wumao
You could play a female conquistador and viking too, so this was to be expected.

Nothing wrong with it, I like playing female characters

Yeah I can totally see you larping a female nazi general.

For the rest of us tho this is another puddle of piss on the polished floor of historical immersion.
Eh, at least you're not forced to play with an ahistorical female PC. Ahistorical NPCs on the other hand...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
To all people who state the Roman setting is not "fresh" enough and was "overused" in the past I have a question: where and when?

Perhaps in the strategy genre, true. But in RPGs? How many role-playing games set in historical, late Republican/early Imperial Rome can you count?

I bet the same people who call this overused are happily lapping up the next generic orcs-and-elves fantasy RPG.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Eh, at least you're not forced to play with an ahistorical female PC. Ahistorical NPCs on the other hand...

Inb4 "female legatus is canon", transgender Caesar (can you prove he wasn't?...oh you can...well, historical accuracy is not a reason for exclusion!) and NPCs lecturing us to "do better".

Btw if you haven't noticed one of your party members, the Roman archer ripped straight out of AssCreed, is a woman.

Beowulf

Arcane
Didn't they let you go with all male party as historically correct option in Conquistador, or am I misremembering things?
Don't remember why exactly, but Vikings didn't grip me enough to warrant finishing. Hope this one is more in line with their first title.

And yeah, that Announcement trailer is really retarded. I mean, I kinda like what they are trying to tell, but the execution with all those action sequences and trying to match the lyrics literally with visuals is, well, plain bad. Good think you gents linked some previews in this thread and they were sane enough to show some gameplay.

Seems like there will be some big battles in the form of decisions you make, that can influence the outcome I guess.
Other than that it will still be small party skirmishes for whatever reason.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom