Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Rome - the final Expeditions game from Logic Artists

Drakron

Arcane
That's actually a valid point. It's not entirely impossible to imagine female battle leaders in Viking culture or in late Renaissance, whatever the manlets here say, but in Rome where they weren't even given personal names? Gonna be harder to spin. Unless of course the game is the fall of Rome and you're playing for the Germanic tribes.

Well Roman law restricted women rights, even if they were citizens they could neither vote or hold public office.

They likely going for the Republic Era back when Rome was expanding into Iberia and Gaulia or even Britannia if they go into the Empire and that leaves the plently of ... liberties with the tribes and use Boudica as a template (despite she was very much the exception and she had her reasons to rebel), to me its not a question of if cannot be done since it can but there is a very bad habit of writing history as if it was the modern times. They dont have to go so father up to the Fall of Rome and can set it back when Julius was campaigning in Gaulia and Hispana and still have expeditions.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
All of these wemen in my historical setting feels like all of you didn't play the first game.

The first game has set the fact that the devs don't really go for muh historically accurate setting including woman roles. Debating it is kinda moot for the 3rd game.

On the next game theme I would like to see Deutch conquest of South East Asia region as a topic. Might be very similar to Conquistador but SEA setting is a bit under utilized so it might be nice for uniqueness.

Drakron

Arcane
The first game has set the fact that the devs don't really go for muh historically accurate setting including woman roles.

Except what they said about Vikings were they said they picked that because historically they were open, the question is not about being historical accurate but claims of being such and having anachronism.
Its not just about women but also Roman society in general, for example being Infamis meant you were striped from legal protections awarded to Roman Citizens, in fact did you know all men of senatorial class were forbidden from participation in Gladiatorial Games under the penalty of Infamia? and that 40 years after that law that was extended to include Equites and women of Citizen rank? Yes, technically a you could had a Gladiatrix that remained a Citizen until Tiberius.

hivemind

srsly tho I dont think roman empire really fits into the whole small private army going on adventures abroad theme of expeditions to be HONEST, like werent most roman expeditions straight up conquests with hueg legions

they really should have done crusades, not only is it more interesting but any controversy either from rightoids or liberals will just serve to drive publicity and get the other side to buy the game more

getter77

Augur
Kind of a surprisingly safe venture given how the games have gone up to now---but it should have a fair chance. Broadly, this backdrop is a bit cursed though as it makes me remember the excellent Gladius and lament how it never got a PC port and failed to kindle into a series unto itself.

Barbarian

Arcane
I would buy and most likely enjoy the game a lot(as I did the other two), but I say from a marketing POV this would be a bad move.

I believe Viking failed commercially in part because such settings are saturated in the market(there are two very popular major TV shows running around with the viking era setting, for instance). Needless to say ancient Rome has also been milked dry in the last couple of decades, with major motion pictures, tv shows and video games coming around every single year. This is not the kind of setting that gets most people excited(or even interested) because of that.

In contrast if they did Crusaders, Macedonians or Portuguese it would be something novel, just as Conquistador was.

hivemind

poortugal and memecodians are on the other hand too literally who? for the broader mainstream to care, the crusades have literally the best possible ratio of being well known to not being done to death

Barbarian

Arcane
The Portuguese explorers are just like the Spanish Conquistadores in that they are immensely historically relevant, very well-known(I suppose every person even moderatelly literate is aware of them) and yet for some reason they are mostly ignored in modern popular fiction.

I think there would be interest, yes. Like I said, it would be novel. As opposed to "Ancient Rome game #12 in the year 2019".

And yes, I agree anything set in the crusades period has the potential to be huge. Look at the popularity of CK2(which was immensely popular before the focus shifted and pagans and muslims became playable). It is a setting with much appeal atm(ie: Deus Vult memes) and not explored enough.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Cant wait to burn churces like I did in Viking if they are going for Crusade for next Expeditions :smug:

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I think Crusades are unlikely and not a good fit. Expeditions so far has been about making your way to unknown lands and having to figure out your way from there, by word or by sword. The issue with having the crusades as your setting would be that you have no option but sword, and the game would practically be purely combat if they wanted to stick to any sort of historicity at all. I just don't think it would work well with the type of game that Expeditions is.

Barbarian

Arcane
I think Crusades are unlikely and not a good fit. Expeditions so far has been about making your way to unknown lands and having to figure out your way from there, by word or by sword. The issue with having the crusades as your setting would be that you have no option but sword, and the game would practically be purely combat if they wanted to stick to any sort of historicity at all. I just don't think it would work well with the type of game that Expeditions is.

Not true at all, the first crusade and its aftermath had all manner of diplomacy and intrigue. Look at the way Baldwin I conquered edessa(adopted by a local lord in exchange for military support, and he likely killed the guy or ordered him killed afterwards). There was an uneasy alliance with armenians and byzantines that more often than not broke into conflict. Bohemond was all but Alexios Kommenos' archnemesis for a while.

It is a perfect fit for an expedition games, specially if they choose to depict the small "independent" crusades that came after the 1st and before the second(oathbreakers and adventurers mostly). Crusaders crossed eastern europe and hostile seljuq dominated anatolia by foot/horse in these first expeditions and had a hard time making it. The crusaders also had 4 independent states(Kingdom of Jerusalem itself, tripoli, edessa and antioch) and these often got into conflict among themselves, with muslim neighbors and with armenians and byzantines. It was utter chaos at times.

Also, it wasn't all killing. Many muslim lords did submit to Godfrey once he was king. And unlike popular depictions, the crusaders were unusually tolerant of their non-christian subjects. So much that a muslim chronicler complained that muslim peasants lived better under crusader rule than they lived under the fatimids and seljuks(I can find the quote later). They had to - franks were a minority in their own territory. The only place where they expelled non-christians from was Jerusalem itself.

Off course, if they do choose to for some reason go for later crusades there were actual alliances with muslim rulers and even many attempts at alliances with mongols - that is not to mention frequent civil war and the usual cycle of alliance/conflict with the byzantines and armenians.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Why not a scifi setting? Youre a small space colony landing on a habitable planet. You find out youre not alone there. Kind of like Mass Effect Andromeda in not retarded.

Barbarian

Arcane
It is not often mentioned, but the most perfect fit is probably the norman conquest of sicily. Robert Guiscard literally arrived with nothing more than a band(a few dozen knights) and eventually conquered most of the territory with much guile, and many alliances and betrayals with the lombards. I have no idea how well known that conquest is or how much interest it would entice, though.

Something with mercenaries would also be great. Catalans fighting in greece after the fourth crusade or norman mercenaries seriving the byzantines during the turkish invasion for instance. Maybe something with italian mercenary companies or even landsknechts. These occasionally conquered territories and had their leaders become lords(though it almost never lasted for long).

I don't see how ancient Rome would work anyway, unless they do something with "remnants of defeated legion lost behind enemy lines" or something of the sort. Roman legions had thousands of men, and none of their conquests was characterized by having small groups of men journeying into unknown territory.

Barbarian

Arcane
Merchant republics maybe? Venetian/Genoan expeditions into the east, or maybe even the very early Hansa(before actually being called so) and its dealings with pagan slavs and pirates?

ArchAngel

Arcane
I would buy and most likely enjoy the game a lot(as I did the other two), but I say from a marketing POV this would be a bad move.

I believe Viking failed commercially in part because such settings are saturated in the market(there are two very popular major TV shows running around with the viking era setting, for instance). Needless to say ancient Rome has also been milked dry in the last couple of decades, with major motion pictures, tv shows and video games coming around every single year. This is not the kind of setting that gets most people excited(or even interested) because of that.

In contrast if they did Crusaders, Macedonians or Portuguese it would be something novel, just as Conquistador was.
It failed because they are a small studio that cannot afford marketing. Their first game released at a time where Steam was not oversaturated with games.

There being multiple TV shows featuring Vikings only promotes a game in same setting. People loving the TV shows will want to play a Viking themed game more, not less.

It has the least to do with setting how their next game will do. Actually more obscure they go, less chance they have of selling it well.

Barbarian

Arcane

It failed because they are a small studio that cannot afford marketing. Their first game released at a time where Steam was not oversaturated with games.

There being multiple TV shows featuring Vikings only promotes a game in same setting. People loving the TV shows will want to play a Viking themed game more, not less.

It has the least to do with setting how their next game will do. Actually more obscure they go, less chance they have of selling it well.

My own example disproves your argument. I don't like viking settings(unless off course the protagonists are those opposing the snowniggers). I played the game because I liked Conquistador a lot. I doubt I would have even checked it out otherwise. I also assume the common retard watching "Vikings" or "Lost Kingdom" has no interest in niche rpgs or TB combat. The fedoras who worship the raiding norse are not known for their intelligence - and as we all know most of them are teenagers.

Did Varg Vikerness play this game?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Expedition: Australia

Do notable shit happened when European came to Australia?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom