Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Expeditions: Viking October Newsletter: Northmen Raid Gameplay Video, Itemization Details

agris

Arcane
Patron
Combat looks interesting, though the dialogue window art is lacking. Why do we need comment bubbles next to each text response?

hpstg

Savant
Why romance when rape (with flesh or steel) abounds?

20428.jpg

Jonas

Campfire Cabal
Developer
Combat looks interesting, though the dialogue window art is lacking. Why do we need comment bubbles next to each text response?
The icon gives an indication of what each option will do. The bubbles are your typical "pick this to branch the conversation" options. There's an ellipsis icon that shows you when you'll enter a loop, so it'll come back and you can try the other options as well. Then there's stat check icons, a combat icon, give resource icon, trade icon, end dialogue icon, etc.

anywya is the composter still the same?
Leo was great for Conquistador being that he is Chilean so he was very much based in the culture we were dealing with then. On Viking we're using Knut Haugen, the multiple-award-winning composer behind eg. the Age of Conan soundtrack.

Cynicus

Augur
Looking good. Can't wait.

It's a minor thing, but I sort of agree with Bumvelcrow regarding the idle combat animations, though it's only when characters in close proximity are synchronized that it becomes distracting to me. See circa 1:33 in the video. I think they're fine otherwise.
dancingsuperheroes.gif~c200

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Looking good. Can't wait.

It's a minor thing, but I sort of agree with Bumvelcrow regarding the idle combat animations, though it's only when characters in close proximity are synchronized that it becomes distracting to me. See circa 1:33 in the video. I think they're fine otherwise.
dancingsuperheroes.gif~c200
We should be able to address that before release :)

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Looks like there's a few clipping issues with the 3D models as well - shields clipping into their bodies when they're holding them and when units are standing over a corpse they're standing in it rather than the pixels being sorted.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
I'm not sure what you mean with the pixels being sorted. We'll definitely try to fix most of the clipping issues, but we won't be able to get everything.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
For instance when a character is standing over a body, their foot might be going through the body rather than being sorted in front of it.

I don't know what the technical term is for it. In a lot games I've played that use a fixed camera have some system where 3D models are sorted to prevent clipping, like a sword swing doesn't clip through someone when it is swung it either goes in front of the model, behind the model or next to the model.

I can only guess that they use some kind of system to sort the models against the camera viewpoint.

Because E:V uses a dynamic camera, I don't know if that makes it more difficult (or more cpu intensive) to do it.

Last edited:

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
It's technically possible to do, but with a dynamic camera it would definitely look very weird and unnatural. Because no matter how you turn or zoom they'll appear on top, it'll make it look as if the characters aren't really in the world.

The better solution would be foot IK i think, but I'm not sure we'll have time for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom