Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Facebook buys Occulus Rift

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
At least Bethesda makes games... albeit mostly shitty ones.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
maxresdefault.jpg

oculus-rift-jimmy-fallon.jpg

carmack.956x538c.jpg

Fuck.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
zucksomething said:
Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face -- just by putting on goggles in your home.

hhNHMis.jpg

Cazzeris

Damn it, technology goes forward so fast that VR industries has ruined before existing.

Anyway...:
:keepmyjewgold:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So in late 2012, guy goes to kickstarter and gets 9k people to give him 2 million so he can start a company. About 15 months later, he sells said company for 2 billion.

Damn, those KS backers must be really happy with the investment they made, when they get their share they will surely- oh wait...

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't see people in mass ever wearing shit on their heads to enjoy their entertainment. It was a niche product and Facebook expects it to be something else. Not sure that was a good bet.

I thought the Wii would fail though so what do I know.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So in late 2012, guy goes to kickstarter and gets 9k people to give him 2 million so he can start a company. About 15 months later, he sells said company for 2 billion.

Damn, those KS backers must be really happy with the investment they made, when they get their share they will surely- oh wait...

Let's ask Dexter. Wonder if he got his check from the sale proceeds?

Xi

Arcane
You don't invest 2 Billion to shut down a project. While facebook is an odd choice, it's also probably the most powerful marketing tool in the entire world. I see Oculus Devkit 2 preorders going through the roof. I was planning to get one myself, but I may wait a bit to see how this plays out. I'm betting that with all the extra money/resources, the devkits could be delayed a bit for further enhancement.

I can see the appeal of movies, communication, etc via Virtual Reality headsets. It does seem like a very interesting emerging market. BY all accounts, the latest version is working quite well too.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I do not and will never have a facebook account, so I guess I'm never going to use this rift thing either.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You don't invest 2 Billion to shut down a project. While facebook is an odd choice, it's also probably the most powerful marketing tool in the entire world. I see Oculus Devkit 2 preorders going through the roof. I was planning to get one myself, but I may wait a bit to see how this plays out. I'm betting that with all the extra money/resources, the devkits could be delayed a bit for further enhancement.

I can see the appeal of movies, communication, etc via Virtual Reality headsets. It does seem like a very interesting emerging market. BY all accounts, the latest version is working quite well too.
Weren't you the guy hyping OnLive?

dbx

Arcane
Patron
Anyway, best comment i read so far on the Oculus VR acquisition:
"Mark needs this technology to let humans pilot his robot army. Google is just going to go with AI."

Dexter

Arcane

It's not only about the money though. See all the opinions and articles stemming from this and possibly large partners backing out already:
ijgj47ux9a6.png

I see large parts of the entire idealistic Indie scene backing out, people will stop asking for Rift support, others might not buy the hardware at all. It's a PR nightmare for the "community-led" KickStarter Startup led by an idealistic 21 year old and many people see Facebook as the cancer they represent. I don't have, nor do I ever want to have a Facebook account for instance.

It also poses questions in regards to requirements they will dictate for software (I doubt it will remain as "Open Source" as before), the whole NSA spying thing etc.

Personally I hope another company (like say even Valve) will take over and lead VR to the promised land. There's afaik not much complicated or anything protected in the sense of patents so far that other companies couldn't emulate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom