Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Facebook buys Occulus Rift

deuxhero

Arcane
zucksomething said:
Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face -- just by putting on goggles in your home.

hhNHMis.jpg

It's funny. "Classroom of students and teachers" has been repeatedly shown to be one of the worsts methods of learning ANYTHING compared to alternatives given by modern technology (like charter school or self study with resources that are often, legally, free).

Cazzeris

zucksomething said:
Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face -- just by putting on goggles in your home.

hhNHMis.jpg

It's funny. "Classroom of students and teachers" has been repeatedly shown to be one of the worsts methods of learning ANYTHING compared to alternatives given by modern technology (character school, self study).
Yes, it seems that we're advancing in old life aspects which are now more modern.
But on a different and expensive way.

Durwyn

Prophet
In few years you will be able to meet your friends in your virtual Facebook customized place (furniture and design powered by microtransactions) with the help of Oculus Rift, the only nuisance being advertisements constantly flashing before your eyes. The Future is near Gentlemen...

Oh God please no...

Whiner

Savant
Zimersomething said:
As for exactly how Facebook will monetize Oculus, CEO Mark Zuckerberg said on the call to investors, "We're clearly not a hardware company. We're not going to try to make a profit off of the hardware long-term...but if it we can make this a network where people are communicating, and buying virtual goods, and there might be ads down the line...that’s where the business could come from."

Too good to be true.Is this early April the 1st?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Maybe they'll subsidize the initial cost?

Something good might come out of it.
They'll subsidize by sodomizing the users with ads and the developers with paywalls. Fucking disgrace of an SDK facebook has, and I expect worse coming from Rift.

set

Cipher
if all returns to unity
i just keep letting me down letting me down

Oh god. Zuckerburg trolling everyone. 9/10 not bad. -1 for not waiting a week.

John Carmack now works for Facebook. Imagine that shit for a second.

Last edited:

Durwyn

Prophet
Isn't there another company working on VR? There's still hope, right?

...right?
Yep, Sony and possibly Valve (rumors)

Sony will most likely fuck something up like they did with their kinect rival technology (casual crap) and Valve will be late for the ride this time, Facebook Jewmaster will pump all the geld he can into his new wondertoy.

set

Cipher
Yeah, if Steam is Neutral Evil, Facebook is Lawful Evil - and there's nothing worse than that. Lawful Evils are untouchable by the laws of society.

I wouldn't be surprised if Facebook started doing more of this - buying up promising tech. They do need to diversify afterall.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Steam is obnoxious to those who have limited internet downloads. I won't forgive them for the shit they put me through the few times I tried to activate with Steam.

set

Cipher
Steam is obnoxious to those who have limited internet downloads. I won't forgive them for the shit they put me through the few times I tried to activate with Steam.
It's your fault for living in Australia. If you want to use the 'net go move to a real country. You know, the ones which haven't outlawed female ejaculation and breasts.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
It's your fault for living in Australia. If you want to use the 'net go move to a real country. You know, the ones which haven't outlawed female ejaculation and breasts.

GOG understands me. Steam has made it clear they only want to deal with me when I'm equipped to do business the way they want to.

Fuck em I say.

set

Cipher
You can play any non-MP steam game in offline mode. Not that I like the DRM Steam offers, Valve is alteast forward-thinking enough to offer services in exchange for the burden of DRM, unlike other companies like EA or Ubisoft, who often provide anti-features with their DRM schemes.

sser

Arcane
Developer
So in late 2012, guy goes to kickstarter and gets 9k people to give him 2 million so he can start a company. About 15 months later, he sells said company for 2 billion.

Damn, those KS backers must be really happy with the investment they made, when they get their share they will surely- oh wait...

Kickstarter. The loophole of all loopholes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom