Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 2 is boring

Fallout 2 sucks?

• Yes

Votes: 28 19.3%
  • No

Votes: 117 80.7%

• Total voters

kris

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
;)
Hey, a trip to Ukraine is worth it, whatever the excuse.

I think there would quite a difference between tjernobyl and Kiev ;)

Psilon

Erudite
kris said:
kingcomrade said:
;)
Hey, a trip to Ukraine is worth it, whatever the excuse.

I think there would quite a difference between tjernobyl and Kiev ;)
I don't know. Given what happened to Yushchenko, I'd say that a vacation in Chernobyl is probably better for one's health if running for office.

Revasser

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
It's like THE GLOW! Which isn't in Fallout 2, because Fallout 2 is, to borrow a phrase, a "2 flush corn log."

The Glow fucking rocks. One of the best moments in Fallout, in my opinion.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I've always kinda wondered though. It must've been hit by a pretty puny nuke. Anything bigger than an atomic firecracker and it would be a crater, not a functioning base with a few charred bodies about.

Revasser

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
I've always kinda wondered though. It must've been hit by a pretty puny nuke. Anything bigger than an atomic firecracker and it would be a crater, not a functioning base with a few charred bodies about.

Was it actually a real BOOM-ish nuke that hit the base there? I don't seem to remeber that actually ever being stated. I always assumed it was a neutron bomb or something, which is why the radiation lingered for so long and why the crater was pretty small.

Revasser

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
Still, even a neutron bomb that close would've fried all of the circuitry in that base.

That's true. It was a mega-advanced-and-important military research base, though, so it's possible that they shielded their equipment from any EMP that might result from a nearby nuclear blast (or one that fell on top of them). Or the designers just didn't give it that much thought.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I thought it was a private research facility (WestTek) on a military contract. In the game, where they talk about the military taking over, they move all the junk to Mariposa.

Of course, yeah, the designers probably just didn't worry about it.

Revasser

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
I thought it was a private research facility (WestTek) on a military contract. In the game, where they talk about the military taking over, they move all the junk to Mariposa.

Of course, yeah, the designers probably just didn't worry about it.

Was it? Yeah, I think you're right. It's been a while since I last played Fallout. I think I'll play through it again after I'm done with my current BG1Tutu run through and refresh my memory.

bryce777

Erudite
Nukes dont actually make big craters, and they are not going to penetrate through solid rock either because it will be an airbust detonation at 5 miles in the air to get the maximum killing. Neutron bombs don't leave any fallout whatsoever, either.

The big question is why, since there are like 30k nukes in existence, anyne would survive a nuclear war at all.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
bryce777 said:
Nukes dont actually make big craters, and they are not going to penetrate through solid rock either because it will be an airbust detonation at 5 miles in the air to get the maximum killing. Neutron bombs don't leave any fallout whatsoever, either.

The big question is why, since there are like 30k nukes in existence, anyne would survive a nuclear war at all.

Wrong wrong wrong.
Nukes do make big craters.
Neutron bombs are ALL about radiation. You are definitely going to get fallout, it's just not going to be high atmosphere fallout.

If nobody survived the nuclear war, the game wouldn't be very fun, now would it?

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
TheGreatGodPan said:
Maybe not all the nukes got launched.

I SMELL A SEQUEL!
to quote dilberts boss
"the key to marketing is to do the same thing even if it wont work"

Shagnak

Shagadelic
kingcomrade said:
t radiation. You are definitely going to get fallout, it's just not going to be high atmosphere fallout.
But I thought the idea with neutron bombs was that they were designed to cook people, but the radiation dissipates rapidly.
No hard radiation to be carried by the wind, no fallout.

http://www.manuelsweb.com/neutronbomb.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_bomb

The radiation is "quickly attenuated" by the atmosphere, but can irradiate metals for a short period and also you have to wait for a while (might only be days/weeks) for "short lived isotopes" to disappear.

Perhaps repeated applications will cause long term residual surface radiation, I don't know, but since this is not atmospheric radiation (or resulting from settling radiation particles) I don't think you can technically call even that "fallout".

Section8

Cipher
Still, even a neutron bomb that close would've fried all of the circuitry in that base.

That's true. It was a mega-advanced-and-important military research base, though, so it's possible that they shielded their equipment from any EMP that might result from a nearby nuclear blast (or one that fell on top of them).

Vacuum Tubes anyone?

Or the designers just didn't give it that much thought.

Or maybe they gave it more thought than the players, and that's just one of the reasons why Fallout is so goddamned good. ;)

bryce777

Erudite
The idea of a neutron bomb is to not have fallout at all.

Actually, there are several types they want to make or have made:

1. Heat bomb. Basically all heat and destruction.

2. Nondestructive. Basically super intense low halflife radiation occurs. Not much heat. Kills people but leaves building intact and there is no radioactive leftovers after a few weeks.

3. Directional.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
No, the idea of a neutron bomb is to not have any property damage at all while still killing everything within the radius. It uses radiation to kill all living organisms within the blast radius. Neutron bombs are called neutron bombs because they forcus on, get this, neutronic radiation. There wouldn't be any airborne fallout because there isn't much of a physical blast, it's an energy weapon.
You're mixing various things together. Neutron bombs don't kill with "heat" per se, they kill with intense radiation (energy). It would be like being next to the sun. The sun can't hurt you with "heat" because there's no medium in space, but it can kill you with radiation.

Troops moving into a placed that has been neutron-bombed need to weapon NBC shielding just like they would in a regular nuclear weapon.

yipsl

Scholar
MINIGUNWIELDER said:
to quote dilberts boss
"the key to marketing is to do the same thing even if it wont work"

I guess Pete Hines got a haircut! I didn't notice any pointy hairs in his last interview video.

Seriously, my wife told me her marketing instructor claimed that bad marketing is better than no marketing, I thank God that she changed her major way back when because I think marketing is bunk and if I wanted to know something about marketing, I'd hire a marketer to tell me.

Actually, I'd hire a historian to tell me what marketers have done throughout history, since both marketers and politicians seem to try the same things over and over again.

bryce777

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
No, the idea of a neutron bomb is to not have any property damage at all while still killing everything within the radius. It uses radiation to kill all living organisms within the blast radius. Neutron bombs are called neutron bombs because they forcus on, get this, neutronic radiation. There wouldn't be any airborne fallout because there isn't much of a physical blast, it's an energy weapon.
You're mixing various things together. Neutron bombs don't kill with "heat" per se, they kill with intense radiation (energy). It would be like being next to the sun. The sun can't hurt you with "heat" because there's no medium in space, but it can kill you with radiation.

Troops moving into a placed that has been neutron-bombed need to weapon NBC shielding just like they would in a regular nuclear weapon.

Those are all different things in my point list.

Mr. Van_Buren

Scholar
Bottom line, in my opinion ..

In the FO2 VS FO arena FO comes out the clear winner

In the FO2 VS "ALMOST ANYTHING ELSE" match, FO2 is still better overall ... even if what makes it better is a hold over from FO.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom