Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 2 is boring

Fallout 2 sucks?

• Yes

Votes: 28 19.3%
  • No

Votes: 117 80.7%

• Total voters

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
mEtaLL1x said:
If you think that wanamingos/floaters are aliens, then you surely don't really have a clue about Fallout setting. Read the Bible first.

Well, you're an idiot if you think Chris Avellone's Bible is anything remotely special. All the bit in the bible was about was re-writing Fallout 2 history because MCA finally figured out that yeah, aliens in Fallout 2 were stupid. So, he just said, "Those aliens aren't aliens after all! w00t! score!" I'm sure he could have done the same with the silly ass Yakuza outside New Reno if there were more people saying those were stupid as well. "Hey, those weren't Yakuza! They were tribals in suits! You only THINK they're Yakuza!"

San-francisco is not lame either. It's pretty logical. The chinese tanker/sub were there, remember? Of course, the kung-fu thing is a bit abused. Not that it couldn't be there, no. But yes, it still felt pretty poppy... Other than that, the city was fine.

San Franscisco makes no sense at all. Where is the Enclave's tanker programmed to run to and from? San Franscisco. The Enclave is the remaining part of the United States government who fought the Chinese to a nuclear war. Hopping on that tanker and wound up in the one town in the game that's loaded with Chinese people, I seriously doubt there would be any Chinese people there by the time the player got there.

Revasser

Scholar
Who says the aliens are the 'from outer space' kind of aliens? It <i>is</i> California. They're probably just Mexicans without Green Cards who think you're from Immigration, hence their hostility.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
What? I thought wakizashis and ninja stars were standard issue in the California area. Isn't the governor foreign or something?

Revasser said:
Who says the aliens are the 'from outer space' kind of aliens? It <i>is</i> California. They're probably just Mexicans without Green Cards who think you're from Immigration, hence their hostility.

lolz
that explains why they're in the mines and on the tanker

Zomg

Arbiter
mEtaLL1x said:
San-francisco is not lame either. It's pretty logical. The chinese tanker/sub were there, remember? Of course, the kung-fu thing is a bit abused. Not that it couldn't be there, no. But yes, it still felt pretty poppy... Other than that, the city was fine.

San Francisco was an utter abortion and the worst static location in either Fallout game by a mile. The Chinese gang thing might as well have been a bunch of black guys fighting over a fried chicken leg and the Hubologists were equivalent to a page of the word "lol" written out in a book. There is no defense for San Francisco.

bryce777

Erudite
It's just a game, and you guys should really relax a little bit.

I can see getting riled up about games where your involvement in the playing is minimal compared to the cutscenes and all you do is hop around and do combo maneuvers, but really there are other good games out there besides fallout. It is a good game, but it is hardly the best game made by any stretch of the imagination, or even the best rpg.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Zomg said:
San Francisco was an utter abortion and the worst static location in either Fallout game by a mile. The Chinese gang thing might as well have been a bunch of black guys fighting over a fried chicken leg and the Hubologists were equivalent to a page of the word "lol" written out in a book. There is no defense for San Francisco.

You are awesome. Make fun of New Reno and the tribal areas.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Where is the Enclave's tanker programmed to run to and from? San Franscisco. The Enclave is the remaining part of the United States government who fought the Chinese to a nuclear war. Hopping on that tanker and wound up in the one town in the game that's loaded with Chinese people, I seriously doubt there would be any Chinese people there by the time the player got there.
As far as I can remember, the tanker was *NOT* Enclave's. It was Poseidon Oil's, a pre-war corporation that owned the current Enclave's oil rig. Enclave built neither the rig nor the tanker, so it wasn't automatically aware of the tanker's whereabouts and functionality. Probably, they really did not know about that old tanker and had no idea that it could actually set sail to their rig. The Chinese did not know it either, even the scientists, but they hoped to get it fixed and sail somewhere else somday. It all makes sense.

corvax

Augur
Fallout 2 may be overdone, inconsistent with the Fallout universe, immature, etc. but it defenitely is not boring. In terms of things to do Fallout 2 fucking rocks, it's a simple as that. Play the freakin' game...see just how many things you can do in New Reno alone. The only thing that brings down F2 is that its predecessor posed a slightly different vison of post-apocalyptic universe. If there was no original Fallout to judge Fallout 2 by then the game would be almost flawless (disregard the bugs). Finding Fallout 2 boring is a heresy, you should be burned alive!

RGE

Liturgist
mEtaLL1x said:
As far as I can remember, the tanker was *NOT* Enclave's. It was Poseidon Oil's, a pre-war corporation that owned the current Enclave's oil rig. Enclave built neither the rig nor the tanker, so it wasn't automatically aware of the tanker's whereabouts and functionality. Probably, they really did not know about that old tanker and had no idea that it could actually set sail to their rig. The Chinese did not know it either, even the scientists, but they hoped to get it fixed and sail somewhere else somday. It all makes sense.
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I think that Enclave computers contained something about the tanker, and how it was disabled and robbed of that FOB-thing to prevent it from being used to access the oil rig. And didn't that tanker drift into town, so to speak? I got the impression that all those people who lived on it were drifters, and that they travelled around on the tanker. I believe that the ending slide mentions how they left San Fransisco, because they don't stay in one place.

And Fallout 1 was too short compared to Wasteland, so there. At least Fallout 2 had a decent size, even though both Fallouts had late game areas that felt rushed (Boneyard and San Fransisco).

Jinxed

Liturgist
There were random encounters in Fallout 2 with aliens. I think that Fallout 1 had that too, but it was extremely rare.

Ausir

Arcane
There was only a special encounter with an alien spaceship with grey aliens, but you're wrong, the aliens/wanamingos appeared only in Fallout 2.

almondblight

Arcane
Yeah, I thought Fallout 2 was garbage. I played through the original perhaps 4-5 times (rare for me), but I couldn't even finish 2 (got to San Fran and stopped). Goes to show that good writing, design, and polish is more important than being turnbased and isometric.

Oh yeah, and Fallout 2 had a ghost in is...what the hell? And every second person talking about the wanderer or making some lame reference to the first game just reminded me of how much better the first game was.

Jinxed

Liturgist
Ausir said:
There was only a special encounter with an alien spaceship with grey aliens, but you're wrong, the aliens/wanamingos appeared only in Fallout 2.

Making a seperate model just for one special encounter? Weird.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
!HyPeRbOy! said:
I just dont understand how anyone can bitch about there being "too much sex" in a game. Where's the harm in that. Really.

sexx iz hot!
Because, it was a good example of the childishness that went into a lot of the design.

Kuato

Liturgist
kingcomrade said:
Anyone else thing Fallout 2 is boring? I can play Fallout over and over, but Fallout 2 is boring.

Usually I wouldn't complain about too much content, but a lot of the content was pointless.

I cant wait to see the amazing content of Fallout III, We know bethesda will send their top men to the desert to study sand so that they can procedurally generate 400 square miles of simulated empty desert, because everyone knows desert hiking sims are fun:) When they figure out they can potentially sell more copies with a teen rating thats when content is really going to start to shine.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
teen rating? :(
I was looking forward to realistic semen pathing
Fallout isn't Fallout without tons of sex because sex is gritty!!! (immershun)

Do you want to see fear in the eye of the orc as you swing your sword at him?! Do you want to see the hooker grimace with disgust as you splurge your radioactive goo all over her face?! WELL NOW YOU CAN

BbaxterD

Novice
I do not think Fallout 2 sucked. I've never played Fallout, I've been meaning to, but it's a bitch to find classic PC games.

Anywho, Fallout 3 will probably have Mel Gibson as talent, feature hyper-realistic grains of sand, teen rating (otherwise the leet speakers wouldn't be able to buy it), and be a first person shooter. Well, that's maybe a bit extreme, but I hope Bethesda knows that the people that will buy the next Fallout will be the same people that played Fallout 1 and 2. It doesn't have the hype from 10 year olds that other RPGs have.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Why in the world do people play Fallout 2 before Fallout 1? Is it because omg seequals r bettar, even though there's hardly a piece of media in existance that supports this?

roguefrog

Liturgist
believe it or not I know people who've played Fallout 2 but will not play Fallout 1. They need to get shithoused.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom