Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 as Deus Ex? Or Doom RPG (mobile game)?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I was agreeing with you, but Black Isle didn't do so well in the humor department either. The original Fallout, on the other hand, was pretty funny without overdoing it. Black Isle didn't make the original, in case that's what you thought.

kingcomrade said:
So,
The Codex has mostly decided that Fallout 3 will be a first person real time game. So, what if it were in the same pattern as Deus Ex or System Shock? Yeah, it's not Fallout, but it could be enjoyable.

I don't know how well Fallout would translate into first person, though. There's so much that you would have to change.

The problem here isn't that bethesda is going FP/RT with Fallout 3. The problem is their design style and the low quality of their writers. Todd Howard makes action games, not RPGs, and his writers/designers suck.

Fallout first person, real time could be great if someone like Troika did it (take VtM:B for instance). But we're talking about bethesda here, and comparing Todd Howard and Ken Ralston to Warren Specter is absurd.

Gwendo

Augur
Honestly, I'm quite curious about Fallout 3. Imagine Fallout's environment fully in 3D, in 1st person. Must be quite immersive.

Sure I would love a turn-based game, but to tell the truth, I didn't play any good 3D AND turn-based game. Someone cares to show me I'm wrong?

Anyway, I just hope it won't be a 3rd person 3D game.

Kuato

Liturgist
Gwendo said:
Honestly, I'm quite curious about Fallout 3. Imagine Fallout's environment fully in 3D, in 1st person. Must be quite immersive.

Immursion and simulation are two separate things. if you were to take Fallout's desert wastes and make them into a Simulated first person non linear 3d game its actually going to be very Bland and Boring , an empty nothingness for miles - hardly fun!, but I think this kind of flawed reasoning that total simulation is total game immersion would be just up Bethesda's alley, and since it would be very easy to create and design from a production standpoint:), Im sure they would be happy to procedurally generate 300 square miles of empty desert for players to spend 90% of the game just wandering around aimlessly . Exploration is one thing but I just dont have the time for the waste of time run around that these jogging sim games are.

Micmu

Magister
You graphics whores!
I want The Chosen Vault Dweller Reincarnate voiced by Silvester Stallone. Vin Diesel will do just as fine. More immersion never hurts.

Deacdo

Liturgist
Mech said:
Jaesun said:
I would not mind a Fallout FPS that was somewhat like Deus Ex.

As long as it is not called Fallout 3.

The name is that sacred eh?

Yes. Because a spin-off is just that, a spin-off. It's *supposed* to be different than the main series. They're essentially calling a spin-off "Fallout 3"...which means they are changing the entire direction (practically the genre) of the main series. After that there is no chance of another Fallout game similar to Fallout 1 or Fallout 2.

Gwendo

Augur
Kuato said:
Gwendo said:

Immursion and simulation are two separate things. if you were to take Fallout's desert wastes and make them into a Simulated first person non linear 3d game its actually going to be very Bland and Boring , an empty nothingness for miles - hardly fun!, but I think this kind of flawed reasoning that total simulation is total game immersion would be just up Bethesda's alley, and since it would be very easy to create and design from a production standpoint:), Im sure they would be happy to procedurally generate 300 square miles of empty desert for players to spend 90% of the game just wandering around aimlessly . Exploration is one thing but I just dont have the time for the waste of time run around that these jogging sim games are.

And who said you would have to wander around aimlessly? I don't see why a 3D game can't be divided in zones, just like the previous Fallouts were.And have a traveling system like Fallout (and Daggerfall & Oblivion) have.

I've only talked about first person 3D environment. Not simulation, like you said.

Gwendo

Augur
Deacdo said:
After that there is no chance of another Fallout game similar to Fallout 1 or Fallout 2.

Why not?

Look at the Final Fantasy games' example: FF11 is an odd game in the series, FF12 will be more like the predecessors.

And people talk about graphic's whores... How about names' whores? What matters? Gameplay, graphics or the name? :P

Kuato

Liturgist
Gwendo said:
And who said you would have to wander around aimlessly? I don't see why a 3D game can't be divided in zones, just like the previous Fallouts were.And have a traveling system like Fallout (and Daggerfall & Oblivion) have.

I've only talked about first person 3D environment. Not simulation, like you said.

Good game design,system,story and characters will do more for making the game more immursive than any amount of next gen graphics in 1st person. case closed!

Gwendo

Augur
Kuato said:
Gwendo said:

Good game design,system,story and characters will do more for making the game more immursive than any amount of next gen graphics in 1st person. case closed!

*sigh*

And why do you think that's not possible in a good 3D environment?

Kuato

Liturgist
Gwendo said:
Deacdo said:
After that there is no chance of another Fallout game similar to Fallout 1 or Fallout 2.

Why not?

Look at the Final Fantasy games' example: FF11 is an odd game in the series, FF12 will be more like the predecessors.

And people talk about graphic's whores... How about names' whores? What matters? Gameplay, graphics or the name? :P

If you had played the FF12 demo that came with Dragonquest VIII then you would see FF12 is at the moment shaping up to be more like a single player version of FF11

Drakron

Arcane
There were many radical moves in Final Fantasy line, FF X was a great departure from the previous FF games (voice acting,full 3d, no world map walking, very linear path, turn based) so the move from FF X to XII is not as radical as from IX to X since the biggest move on FF XII is the end of the "pop up combat" but I wonder since Square lost its edge as someone that leads the market to follow trends.

I wonder how many people will be transfered with FF XII ... I think Square sould know the days of FF VII sales are over.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom