Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 as Deus Ex? Or Doom RPG (mobile game)?

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I think there is a good chance they will not call it "Fallout 3". Their primary target market knows nothing about the old Fallout CRPGs and if it would it would hate them. They will give the game a title that appeals to the typical adolescent FPS gamer crowd, something like "Fallout: Warriors of the Wasteland".

I think I know the feature list already:

- Bleeding-edge, state-of-the-art graphics

- NextGen Radiant AI: almost as smart as you (and they wouldn't be lying here :lol: )
NPCs follow realistic schedules, trying to survive in an apocalyptic wasteland and you can frag them all! (well except the ones with meaning i.e. quest automatons)

- 100 towns, 40 square miles of wasteland, 1000 quests etc.

Well, and that's about it. Boring old-school RPG mechanics like "stats" will be completely
"innovated away" by that time (Daggerfall -> Morrowind -> Oblivion: don't you see the trend?!).

Will it be a good game? Well if you like first-person action adventures with lots of combat then maybe..

Chefe

Erudite
No Patrick Stewart? No sand erosion? Bleh, that game's going to suck.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Well, since the horror scenarios have been dished out and eaten hot already, here is what I expect:
- The SPECIAL system likely will remain more or less intact. There might be tinkering with some of the skills, but I would expect it to be recognizable with skills, attributes, perks. Pete hinted that much i believe.
- For combat I would expect them to compromise on a "phase based with pause system". Wether that can reach enough depth to please the hardcore fans of Fallout is doubtful of course, but I also doubt that they completely throw tactical combat out of the window. Ideally we get something somewhere between Rainbow six and KOTOR... I even think it is possible they do a turn based system, if they find it can be made to look good enough. After all there ARE plenty turn or phase based console RPG's...
- I assume they will aslo compromise on the camera perspective - maybe something like in Spellforce: zoomable from Birds-eye all the way to 3rd person.
- They will probably have a pretty good representation of the style and visual feel of the Fallout world - although it will undoubtedly have a different effect in 3D.
- I definitely assume they will have a fully explorable terrain, a la TES, instead of Fallout style "location maps".
- I think they will also try to do a non-linear aproach. Wether they do a good job with it, I don't know.

Micmu

Magister
... There might be tinkering with some of the skills,...
No comment. :)
- I think they will also try to do a non-linear aproach. Wether they do a good job with it, I don't know.
I think they won't even try, it's pointless. Console RPGs with straightforward story and hot RT combat sell more.

Micmu

Magister
Cimmerian Nights said:
But it begs the question, why even bother with the FO license then?
Excellent setting which attracts many people who don't even care for the actual genre. Hardcore CRPG? FPS? Linear adventure? Who cares. It has drugs & hookers! Bloody Mess!
I hope I'm wrong. :)

Zomg

Arbiter
Cimmerian Nights said:

1) For every person who has enough emotion about the FO license to punch another man, there are probably several who merely have diffuse good will for the original game, which has reached an exceptional number of players due to its good reputation and extended sales life as a budget title. So, it's for the same reason they make Mario Golf - diffuse good feeling for a well-known brand is saleable.

2) The general setting, continuity (vaults, etc.) and style elements (the Mad Max/Retro-Futuristic '50s jingoist stuff) of FO are excellent. FO2, while damaging to series quality, may be partially salvageable or at least ignorable.

3) To piss off NMA.

Micmu

Magister
stalin_brando said:
Are today's console kids familiar with Mad Max Rokatanski?
Probably no, but that's what hypes are for. Who doesn't like a nuclear radiation symbol?
Btw. "mounted combat" with cars :)

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
The qeustion though is, would you risk all the bad reviews they would undoubtedly get if they deviated too far from the originals qualities. Don't forget that Fallout is every RPG geek's pet. I thinke they will at least try to appeal to both "old fans" and new customers, just as they do with TES. Wether that is possible with the maniacs that call themselves Fallout fans I highly doubt. Certainly not with anyone who set foot in NMA, and not with most of you guys. But there are more Fallout fans than that...

Atrokkus

Erudite
I have always believed that a good RPG remains this way even with battle system changed to action-stat hybrid, and with a different viewport. Gothic proved that, although it surely could do it better. Of course, action and stat elements have better be equal (but not biased towards stats, in this case, or the combat would be boring as in Morrowind). For a Fallout game, Deus Ex's model would be appropriate. Although, with the fact that Fallout centers around firearm combat, the purely-stat-based RT combat *could* be applicable, although I still doubt it... the FP perspective might get things look a bit too weird for my taste. Although, Hellgate:London could prove me wrong, i guess.

Anyways, combat should not be a decisive factor in liking-disliking Fallout. Yes, I really loved FO1/2's combat - it may not have been as complex as ToEE or SS, but it definately was fun and interesting, and the graphics were very cool. But still it was not the combat that made me love Fallout so much.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
So lets turn this around. What WOULD you guys accept (I am talking mainly to all those who think FO is the best RPG ever, and are sure that whatever Bethesda will do will suck, because its first person, real time, whatever). I am not asking what do you WANT it to be, but what would you ACCEPT, and call it a worthwhile Fallout game? Where is your red line?

BbaxterD

Novice
kingcomrade said:
Ok nevermind I guess snarky and repetitious comments are all this is going to get.

God, I hope they don't turn random encounters into death matches. I can't really think of any solution, except getting rid of the random encouters entirely and doing the game like Morrowind (ie, you can walk from city to city without going to a world map). I don't particularly like that idea, but I can't think of any viable alternative.

As for what I will accept at the bare minimum, a form of turned based combat, a top down/isometric view, party members, the SPECIAL system, the background of FO, and a storyline that matches up with FO1 and FO2. Anything else and what you really end up with is a Fallout mod for Oblivion.

Edit - Accidently typed 3rd person instead of top down/isometric

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
BbaxterD said:
kingcomrade said:
Ok nevermind I guess snarky and repetitious comments are all this is going to get.

God, I hope they don't turn random encounters into death matches. I can't really think of any solution, except getting rid of the random encouters entirely and doing the game like Morrowind (ie, you can walk from city to city without going to a world map). I don't particularly like that idea, but I can't think of any viable alternative.

As for what I will accept at the bare minimum, a form of turned based combat, a top down/isometric view, party members, the SPECIAL system, the background of FO, and a storyline that matches up with FO1 and FO2. Anything else and what you really end up with is a Fallout mod for Oblivion.

Edit - Accidently typed 3rd person instead of top down/isometric

Thats not accepting anything. You just listed things that were in Fallout 1 and 2. What changes would you accept. None?

BbaxterD

Novice
GhanBuriGhan said:
Thats not accepting anything. You just listed things that were in Fallout 1 and 2. What changes would you accept. None?

Well, yes, in order for me to say, "Gee, this really is a sequel to FO1 and 2" those are the minimum requirements. I thought that's what you wanted, but I didn't really read into the question, so:

I would accept changes to the world map/random encounter system, the skills system, 3D or 2D, NPC interactions, Party interactions, travel methods (car, fast travel, whatever), encumberance and inventory (number of items, etc . . .), missions system, and character design system (not SPECIAL, but other things like perks).

That's all I can think of, probably other things as well. That the general idea though. I guess I could except pseudo turn based system and a moveable 3rd person camera, but it'd have to be quite good.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
I think bloodlines showed us you can have a solid RPG done through a FPS screen. Though at that point it wasn't a solid FPS. Anyways, here's what I expect from Beth regaurding FO3:

-SPECIAL, there is no reason to drop this system, no matter what perspective the game is done from. And not just SPECIAL, but the classless tagged skills approach of the originals with perks given every few levels.

-Brutal Combat, make fighting a risky business. In Fallout no amount of combat focus or leveling made fighting the Master and other enemies a sure thing, since one critical hit could kill you. This did wonders to de-emphasize killing and make persuasion and pacifist approaches more appealing. Though avoiding all combat in a violent world should remain very difficult to do.

-Dialogue Trees, forget wiki or wiki+ and just go with the classic approach. Fallout had some of the best dailogue trees out there

-Non-linearity, even though Morrowind was hailed for this, the central quest was an overwhelmingly linear composition of Fed-Ex quests. They better plan on doing better.

Those are the points that come to my mind fastest, though I'm sure there are others that could survive a transition to FP RT.

Lumpy

Arcane
micmu said:
Cimmerian Nights said:
Excellent setting which attracts many people who don't even care for the actual genre. Hardcore CRPG? FPS? Linear adventure? Who cares. It has drugs & hookers! Bloody Mess!
I hope I'm wrong. :)
If they didn't care about the old fans, wouldn't they have invented a new post-apocalyptic world? I doubt that's copyrighted.
Wouldn't non-Fallout-fans be as interested in Nuclearo: Teh Apocalypse as they would be in Fallout 3?

Micmu

Magister
Black scenarios aside, I would like...
- SPECIAL, fully intact. Please no universal GUNS skill or anything removed (merged) for the sake of "improving other things". Maybe new/different perks tops.
- Same "alchemy" (drugs/stims) system,
- FO RP values, non-linearity, reactive world, replayability, good balance, dialogue trees (INT dependant), diplomatic approaches, interresting story & quests, special encounters are nice, also please no join-all-see-all for just any type of char,
- View... I would like isometric but since this can easily be an uber 3D whoring game, *sigh* NWN-style rotating/zooming camera would do for me but with some 'lock view' option please. Fuck no 1st or fully 3rd person view.
- Combat... I know it's hard to expect good old FO TB. Just no real time action combat, please. I liked fatal/crippling critical hits and aimed shots. Also interresting to play with hi PER/LCK, melee, or be a victim.
- No forced moron indicators and radars,
- No setting/lore/style raping (FO2 upper limit),
- Size... Big could be good, open map, cars are ok,
- Adequate maturity level,
- Cuddly gecko pets? :)

http://www.ausgamedev.com/fallout_game.html

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
God I hate phase-based/pause systems. If you really want real time so that the retarded xbox kids don't hate your game (cownting is hrad! redding suks lol), then just do that. Don't do a half-assed Fallout Tactics system, because that system sucked.

I'm playing that Doom Roguelike. I'm assuming English isn't this guy's first language.
God! What a bloodshed!

I'm still playing it. Can't get past the second level. I've never played a roguelike before, is there some way to dodge attacks that I'm missing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom