Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Fallout 3 interview at Shacknews

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I know that; but my ego I've been told forces me to make everything about me. :D

Someone posts about VD's game, and I'll make that about me too. :twisted:

The Walkin' Dude said:
Dementia Praecox said:
Volourn said:
Hey, JarlFrank started it with a personal attack on me comapring to that gaseous odor that came marching in with super uber orangish horrid hostility. *puke*

I just returned the favor to JarlFrank.
Actually, I think this one was directed at me. :)

Yes, that was directed at *you*. Not Volourn.
I replied to you as well, was it too much to handle?

Dictionary said:
mas·och·ism Pronunciation (ms-kzm)
n.
1. The deriving of sexual gratification, or the tendency to derive sexual gratification, from being physically or emotionally abused.
2. The deriving of pleasure, or the tendency to derive pleasure, from being humiliated or mistreated, either by another or by oneself.
3. A willingness or tendency to subject oneself to unpleasant or trying experiences.
Quoted for your convenience, dear. Just if you were uncertain of the meaning. See, I'm not always such a prick.

Edit:
Volourn said:
I know that; but my ego I've been told forces me to make everything about me. :D
That's why you are our princess. :honour:

elander_

Arbiter
Saint_Proverbius said:
It has nothing to do with AI thinking. It has everything to do with the player not getting ass mobbed by everything on the map the first time he makes a noise, thus the map being finished in two minutes(with the player dying). In turn based, you can wake up the entire map because things take a bit longer to move from point A to Point B and the player gets to think more. If everything on the map rushed the player in FOT at once in RT, the player would be toast.

Yes i see what you are trying to say and i agree that it's important that all actors in the map get a chance to decide what to even if they aren't inside an artificial AI limit. I don't think they had to use this limit in FOT, but that was more of an excuse for them not to be able to handle AI / game balance like they should have. Modern real-time strategy games can easily handle hundreds of units without any slowdown in average computers.

However in sandbox games this limit must exist for regions like the world wilderness for example that covers a great amount of space and is constantly streamed from the disk. The Oblivion engine supports something similar to Arcanum where cities are placed in their own "map" to cull AI. I never made any tests to see if AI is culled by radius when inside a city but i know that Radiant AI is not as bad in theory as it is in pratice. If actors have something to do for a quest they will live and operate outside the players current world following their own agenda and kill other npcs if they have to, all outside the players world. The AI they have is powerful but they wasted it in Oblivion the way they did their npcs.

The problem the way i see it is using SPECIAL with a real-time system. It's like patching something that was not made for that purpose and Fallout 3 will be all about combat, graphics, whores, crazy shock gay moments like Volourn and Dementia and epic endings like Oblivion had.

Texas Red

Whiner
Demented, I dont understand what youre talking about. Why am I supposed to be a masochist?

Fez

Erudite
You need to spell out the bigger words phonetically.

OsirisGod

Liturgist
elander_ said:
Saint_Proverbius said:
It has nothing to do with AI thinking. It has everything to do with the player not getting ass mobbed by everything on the map the first time he makes a noise, thus the map being finished in two minutes(with the player dying). In turn based, you can wake up the entire map because things take a bit longer to move from point A to Point B and the player gets to think more. If everything on the map rushed the player in FOT at once in RT, the player would be toast.

Yes i see what you are trying to say and i agree that it's important that all actors in the map get a chance to decide what to even if they aren't inside an artificial AI limit. I don't think they had to use this limit in FOT, but that was more of an excuse for them not to be able to handle AI / game balance like they should have. Modern real-time strategy games can easily handle hundreds of units without any slowdown in average computers.

However in sandbox games this limit must exist for regions like the world wilderness for example that covers a great amount of space and is constantly streamed from the disk. The Oblivion engine supports something similar to Arcanum where cities are placed in their own "map" to cull AI. I never made any tests to see if AI is culled by radius when inside a city but i know that Radiant AI is not as bad in theory as it is in pratice. If actors have something to do for a quest they will live and operate outside the players current world following their own agenda and kill other npcs if they have to, all outside the players world. The AI they have is powerful but they wasted it in Oblivion the way they did their npcs.

The problem the way i see it is using SPECIAL with a real-time system. It's like patching something that was not made for that purpose and Fallout 3 will be all about combat, graphics, whores, crazy shock gay moments like Volourn and Dementia and epic endings like Oblivion had.

Doesn't that just make you sad ? :roll:

Veracity

Liturgist
Briosafreak said:
Children were removed in the UK because of the Dunblane massacre
I see. Thanks - I assume that's the version I had, then, but I'd never made the mental connection. Played Fallout when it was vaguely new, but didn't get the sequel until quite a while later on some budget label re-release of 1 and 2 together.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
Veracity said:
Briosafreak said:
Children were removed in the UK because of the Dunblane massacre
I see. Thanks - I assume that's the version I had, then, but I'd never made the mental connection. Played Fallout when it was vaguely new, but didn't get the sequel until quite a while later on some budget label re-release of 1 and 2 together.

I'm not sure what version I have... I got it on eBay, and you get the option in Vault City to say "Oh, I thought there were no children because I was playing the European version of Fallout 2. Bye!"... but there are still children running about.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
If you saw children inside Vault City you were either hallucinating, or encountered a bug. There is a child in the courtyard though (in the NA version), and since you say there are children in your version of Fallout 2, you can be pretty certain that it's not the European release.

Atrokkus

Erudite
And put shiny, new, easier-to-handle morons in key positions (Toddy).
A bit belated but...
you're pretty wrong here. Todd participated in all projects, including Daggerfall (he was one of the designers, albeit not lead).
Your numerical analysis of the "creators" affair is a bit weak, in its core. It's pretty dumb to compare pure numbers. Te only group of devs you should compare when evaluating creative background of the game is the DESIGN section, not ALL the devs. It doesn't matter that most of Oblivion devs didnt participate in Morrowind because there's a huge increase in ARt/programming/Q&A department in Oblivion, and they don't really influence the gameplay core and roelplaying elements.

EDIT: did some more analysis.
Lefay, Peterson, Kuhlmann, Nesmith and Howard worked on Daggerfall, as part of the design team. Everyone took part in Oblivion/Morrowind development, except Lefay, the actual project lead of Daggerfall, who only assisted on Morrowind (listed in Special thanks section) and didnt' take part in Oblivion at all.

Even this more thorough analysis, however, cannot possibly lead to the actual "root" of the problem. Maybe it was the abscence of Lefay's bright mind that let others drag the series down, but I still think it's more or less a fully acknowledged desicion of the whole team, to direct the series the way it's flowing now. They just wanted to make it this way, and it wasn't the way we, hardcore roleplayers, liked. So what. I don't care.

bobo_monkey

Novice
Ok again its happening

I am not an alt! I have very valid concerns (vis read up about the bagless/fries debacle) and you will see I am not messing around or trolling.

This thread is a work of art I compare reading it to the feeling you get after having to hold a fart in all night in bed, so as not to embarass yourself in front of your new girlfriend.
Then actually waking up knowing you held it in until morning, and now she's left so you can go lift the toilet seat and guide ships to port in the worst fog storm in history with your monumental gas movement.

FUCK SETI no need to spend cash anymore looking for aliens!!!
the money can be saved and used to power up these forums with more leet icons and smily emoticons :D
the Aliens will know we exist because of that hyperwarp fart tapping into the lower alpha and beta posibilty matrixs and collapsing wavefronts and leading them right to our doorstep viz a vi following the "breadcrumb trail" of sheer smelly mindless blorting noisiness.

Yours "off to watch another Golden Girls" Episode
Bobo

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom