Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Fallout 3: It's for the fans!

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
DarkUnderlord said:
That was my reaction. Plus VATS looks annoying. Todd says "that never gets old" but it looked old there and that's pretty much the first time I've seen it.
Heh, that was exactly my reaction. "I've seen it once and it got old already."

Claw

Erudite
Patron
By the way, has someone mentioned the "Perfect Life" Trailer yet? It's also on gametrailers. It's a Vault-Tec ad featuring Mr. Handy in the kitchen of an All-American family, followed by some gameplay footage.
I didn't find it bad overall - I liked how the robot apparently considered using a saw on the husband - but it confirmed my fear that they redesigned Mr. Handy.

Also, in an ongoing trend of making positive remarks on Bethout, I'll admit that the laser vaporization effect looks kinda cool when seen in a good quality video.
I wish to balance this statment with the observation that the squatting female raider looks ridiculous. Why couldn't she just kneel like any normal person?
Also, when you see the player holding a grenade in third person view I got the impression they reused Oblivion animations.

Last and maybe least, did I spot a Tactics-style Power Armor on an Enclave soldier? What a coincidence they got those, too.

Chefe

Erudite
The Perfect Life trailer was pretty good, but I couldn't help feeling that it felt a bit too "forced."

Seboss

Liturgist
Looks like a very *very* bad shooter.
Hype and gore will ensure pretty nice sales anyway.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Some toughts:
http://www.gamespot.com/video/918428/61940...ameplay-movie-1
AI is stupid as shit, but you already know about that.
http://www.gamespot.com/video/918428/61942...ameplay-movie-2
Why the hell do I see 3 mushrooms? Are those cars?
http://www.gamespot.com/video/918428/61942...ameplay-movie-3
The sniper rifle looks like shit. While in VATS when the time is frozen the propaganda music plays nonstop.
http://www.gamespot.com/video/918428/61942...ameplay-movie-4
VD 101 is one tough son-of-a-bitch by taking a shot in the head and not taking any significant damage.

Zomg

Arbiter
Claw said:
By the way, has someone mentioned the "Perfect Life" Trailer yet? It's also on gametrailers. It's a Vault-Tec ad featuring Mr. Handy in the kitchen of an All-American family, followed by some gameplay footage.

Huh, that was a distressingly acceptable showing of Bob Dobbs humor. I was kind of hoping they'd drive it into a ditch.

The core combat doesn't look that bad. FO's core combat mechanics are pretty nothing - it's mostly the encounter design that makes it fun (because it's about 50% meaningful set pieces compared to 99% trash as in every other RPG, ever). Now, if you have to kill another mook every 20 virtual feet with that awkwardness, as in Morrowind, then there will be something to really complain about. I also assume there will be zero balance parity between RT and pausefitan', but being Beth it's probably not balanced either way in the first place.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
WhiskeyWolf said:
Some toughts:
http://www.gamespot.com/video/918428/61942...ameplay-movie-2
Why the hell do I see 3 mushrooms? Are those cars?

I already pointed it out in some other post. It seems VATS plays fatality animation for each object in effect: i.e 3 people got hit by 1 Fatman shot - 3 Mushrooms, for each object one.

You also see in the very 1. video like Raider gets hit by 1 laser shot and then we see "second" shot while gore plays. Kind of seeing the hit and then flash back to it to see gore.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
I like the scene where the player vaporizes a distant raider using VATS.
The laser looks like utter crap in FP mode, though. I've played enough Unreal Tournament to know that energy beams can look cool in FP. Bethesda just failed at achieving this.

Also, how ridiculous is it to get a "Raider left arm crippled" message when you blow someone to smithereens?
I realize Fallout had similar situations where you scored a crippling hit and then the target died, but it just seems more ridiculous because a) the message is displayed more prominently and b) the taget was actually blown to pieces. I'm pretty sure Fallout had special messages for that case.

Oh, and critical strike? It's not a bloody strike. It's a ctitical hit. Seriously, does Bethesda have to get every little thing wrong?

Shoelip

Arbiter
jagged-jimmy said:
Suchy said:
queued shots maybe?
Hmm, might be. But there are still some technical issues with VATS-animations IMHO. 3 Muchrooms are just wrong.

It's the cars. The cars explode in mushroom clouds when you damage them enough.

Hm, that gamespot interview was actually pretty informative, and the interviewers were allot less annoying.

DarkUnderlord said:
... and if you haven't seen it already, <a href="http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36197.html">check the Fallout 3 gameplay video on gametrailers</a>.
Ha, ha, he said nookyular.

Bradylama

Arcane
It's a good thing there won't be any cartoony stuff like people being killed by 20mph teddy bears.

ushdugery

Scholar
all the weapons skills now dump skill along with perception it's two separate things one an average shooter and the other a selection of stupid minigames.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
"the glowing ones aren't only capable of healing other ghouls but also of shooting shockwaves of radioactivity"

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Futile Rhetoric said:
DarkUnderlord said:
... and if you haven't seen it already, <a href="http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36197.html">check the Fallout 3 gameplay video on gametrailers</a>.
Ha, ha, he said nookyular.
We need to change terms like molecular to moleclear so that people don't get confused

Seboss

Liturgist
Laughed out loud.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom