Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3, second most overrated game of this gen?

artemis

Novice
Caught this over on nma-fallout.com's boards.

Kind of devolved into an Orange Box bitchfest though. Figured I'd start a discussion on it since there seems to be a lot of hatred for it here too. What do you guys think?

darthdarther

Novice
FO3. When will it end?

Anyway, guy seems to be trolling a fair bit with that list, but he gets points for listing MGS4 as #1. Fucking hated that game and I wish Kojima would pretend it never existed.

Most of the characters animate the same, down to the stiff movement and sloppy posture of the NPCs when they’re in combat mode. Bethesda proves once again that their art department is filled with amateur modelers who have maybe a couple months of 3D-modeling experience under their belt. There are clear seams visible where heads are attached to bodies – heads that look like they’ve been run over by a truck and pieced back together at a funeral home. But that would be insulting the undertakers who work at the funeral home, because I’m sure they could pull off a better job than the hacks Bethesda hired.

This is true.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I thought it was pretty much universally accepted outside of the occasional drooling fanboys that MGS4 sucked giant elephant balls. Kinda hard to be overrated when everyone outside game reviewers and sociopaths think you suck.

artemis

Novice
I don't think they're trolling. I think some of their choices are off, but a lot of these got some pretty heavy criticism by the gaming community. It's just the critics that put all these games way up there in our minds. Giving any of these games a 10, or even a 9 in most cases are overkill. But 7's and 8's just aren't good enough anymore, and god forbid they give a game a six or lower.

darthdarther

Novice
HanoverF said:
I thought it was pretty much universally accepted outside of the occasional drooling fanboys that MGS4 sucked giant elephant balls. Kinda hard to be overrated when everyone outside game reviewers and sociopaths think you suck.

It would be nice if it were indeed "occasional drooling fanboys" and not "masses of drooling fanboys".

artemis

Novice
darthdarther said:
HanoverF said:

It would be nice if it were indeed "occasional drooling fanboys" and not "masses of drooling fanboys".

Too many people will go along with the gaming press. There's typically a vocal minority out there that speaks out against a games shittiness, but they're instantly labeled fanboys and such. Then there's the people who will bash a game and criticize the gaming media, than turn around and use them as an example as to why a game they like rocks. The whole things a mess.

And in all fairness, I think FO3 has some pretty decent visuals. The post apocalyptic vibe is nice.

darthdarther

Novice
artemis said:
darthdarther said:
HanoverF said:

Too many people will go along with the gaming press. There's typically a vocal minority out there that speaks out against a games shittiness, but they're instantly labeled fanboys and such. Then there's the people who will bash a game and criticize the gaming media, than turn around and use them as an example as to why a game they like rocks. The whole things a mess.

And in all fairness, I think FO3 has some pretty decent visuals. The post apocalyptic vibe is nice.

The game looks ugly. The character models are ugly, the environments are boring as all hell. I think FO3 is alright if you try and pretend it isn't a Fallout sequel, but I'm not going to pretend the visuals aren't extremely fucking boring. I had to force myself at some points to carry on playing because everything looked so bland, and I shouldn't have to do that in a Fallout game.

Texas Red

Whiner
The author is an idiot. His complaints boil down to graphical inferiority compared to plain shooters. He didn't play any RPGs aside from jap shit and doesn't understand games at all.

artemis

Novice
Character models are pretty bad, and the lighting is awful, but it's still not too bad once you get into the city. I think you're just too use the visuals of other higher end games. Bethesda has never been known for their great visuals.

uhjghvt

Scholar
I can't really see FO3 as overrated since I had very very low expectations for it and I only read about it here and at NMA so I'm not all that exposed to the gushing that's probably going on on moron forums like gamefaqs and 4chan and SA. it definitely doesn't deserve any of the gushing in the press though because it fails as an RPG even though it's a fun game.

portal was a really fun little game, I couldn't think of any way to make it better for what it was. also you shouldn't judge anything by its fans, if you follow that road you end up being a snobby prick or a goth or something.

Silellak

Cipher
This is nothing more than a blog with a few contributers masquerading as a real website.

I'm not sure why anyone cares what they think about Fallout 3, or any other game for that matter.

darthdarther

Novice
artemis said:
Character models are pretty bad, and the lighting is awful, but it's still not too bad once you get into the city. I think you're just too use the visuals of other higher end games. Bethesda has never been known for their great visuals.

Oblivion looked like a masterpiece compared to Fallout 3 when it comes to visuals, that's how underwhelming I think Fallout 3's graphics are.

Silellak said:
This is nothing more than a blog with a few contributers masquerading as a real website.

I'm not sure why anyone cares what they think about Fallout 3, or any other game for that matter.

When I find reading some blog more fulfilling than crawling through the scores of mainstream circle-jerk reviews that all sound the same, then these are truly sad times for gaming journalism.

Silellak

Cipher
darthdarther said:
darthdarther said:
artemis said:

Oblivion looked like a masterpiece compared to Fallout 3 when it comes to visuals, that's how underwhelming I think Fallout 3's graphics are.

Silellak said:

When I find reading some blog more fulfilling than crawling through the scores of mainstream circle-jerk reviews that all sound the same, then these are truly sad times for gaming journalism.

Oh, no argument, mainstream gaming journalism is horse shit. When it comes to deciding on game purchases, I prefer to read a bunch of gamers' impressions - or the impressions of gamer friends - and go from there.

However, I typically trust Random Noname Blogs even less than I do mainstream gaming journalism, because they will post exaggerated opinions solely designed to bait fanboys. This tricks the small-minded creatures into linking to the site to express their outrage, thus boosting their hit numbers and, presumably, the contributor(s)' ePenis size(s).

artemis

Novice
darthdarther said:
artemis said:

Silellak said:

Oblivion has lush forests and has a lot more creative freedom. There's not much you can do with a burnt out wasteland.

And I agree with your other statement. I avoid mainstream gaming sites and try to find some of the gems scattered on the internet. These type of blogs have no quotas to meet, don't have advertisements from developers (outside of whatever gets shuffled through on Adsense, Adbrite, and whatever else), and aren't pressured into the 8-10 scale that's become so common.

darthdarther

Novice
Silellak said:
Oh, no argument, mainstream gaming journalism is horse shit. When it comes to deciding on game purchases, I prefer to read a bunch of gamers' impressions - or the impressions of gamer friends - and go from there.

However, I typically trust Random Noname Blogs even less than I do mainstream gaming journalism, because they will post exaggerated opinions solely designed to bait fanboys. This tricks the small-minded creatures into linking to the site to express their outrage, thus boosting their hit numbers and, presumably, the contributor(s)' ePenis size(s).

Zero argument there, which is why I said they were trolling to begin with. But I'll still read articles like these for a laugh at how creatively they can insult a game and find them a hundred times more fulfilling than going to GameSpot or IGN. This wouldn't have been the case ten years ago, which is just depressing. Mainstream gaming journalism has become so sedated the trolls are being allowed to flourish.

artemis said:
Oblivion has lush forests and has a lot more creative freedom. There's not much you can do with a burnt out wasteland.

Never say never. I think it's possible to make a burned-out wasteland (that's supposed to be over two hundred years old) more interesting than this. It's just that Bethesda failed utterly at it and it's painfully absurd how the mainstream is praising FO3's graphics. You'd think if there was anything they'd be able to objectively critique, it's graphics at the very least.

Silellak

Cipher
darthdarther said:
Zero argument there, which is why I said they were trolling to begin with. But I'll still read articles like these for a laugh at how creatively they can insult a game and find them a hundred times more fulfilling than going to GameSpot or IGN. This wouldn't have been the case ten years ago, which is just depressing. Mainstream gaming journalism has become so sedated the trolls are being allowed to flourish.

I'm fairly sure we aren't allowed to agree on the Codex, so I guess I'll just tell you to go fuck yourself.

darthdarther

Novice
Silellak said:
darthdarther said:

I'm fairly sure we aren't allowed to agree on the Codex, so I guess I'll just tell you to go fuck yourself.

I don't know what I was thinking. But fuck you too, of course.

uhjghvt

Scholar
what the hell is a "gen" anyway fuck off with your console bullshit

artemis

Novice
uhjghvt said:
what the hell is a "gen" anyway fuck off with your console bullshit

A gen for PC gamers lasts the better part of a month until Nvidia and ATI releases their latest overpriced card so you can get two more frames per second out of the one good game that releases every year and then create numerous compatibility issues with old games.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
artemis said:
Bethesda has never been known for their great visuals.

Funny, because everybody sucking up to Morrowind's screen shots, and the hype resulting from the news of a first person RPG that didn't look like shit, is precisely what plunged Bethesda into fame and glory. Christ i remember my friends raving incessantly about the water effects, and barely even playing the game. Xbox faggots who didn't know much better to begin with were also instrumental in creating this monster of a company. Once the hype machine got rolling it never stopped.

darthdarther

Novice
Lyric Suite said:
artemis said:
Bethesda has never been known for their great visuals.

Funny, because everybody sucking up to Morrowind's screen shots, and the hype resulting from the news of a first person RPG that didn't look like shit, is precisely what plunged Bethesda into fame and glory. Christ i remember my friends raving incessantly about the water effects, and barely even playing the game. Xbox faggots who didn't know much better to begin with were also instrumental in creating this monster of a company. Once the hype machine got rolling it never stopped.

Morrowind really did look good, except for the character models which were like 40% of the visuals. Bethesda just cannot do character models for shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom