Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Dustin542

Liturgist
Wacky theory: Fallout Tactics 2, nuXCOM-style Turn-Based Squad Tactics.

The craziest idea I’ve heard is that they might remake the originals as FPS-RPG hybrids in the F4 engine. On the one hand, it would be an act of desecration. On the other hand, by remaking the originals Bethesda would finally release a game with decent content.
They could also rerelease F:BOS on newer consoles. Though with the trouble Interplay had with Snowblind, the rights for that game might be still be in limbo like the pc port of Blood Omen.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
220px-Master_of_Magic_boxcover.jpg

My calculator and dect phone are probably the only computational devices in my house that don't have mom installed.

But I'm thinking about even smaller scale - individual figures instead of units, every one with complete set of stats and skills, which would determine their roles in a settlement. High INT - lab worker, combat stats/skills and high CHA - exporing party leader, etc. Thea the Awakening style. Research system based on finding the pieces of pre-ITZ tech, not just research trees. And combat should be a better version of F:T turn-based mode, with individual figures using items, wasting ammo and so on. So, all the RPG elements of original fallouts, but wrapped in a 4x.

Edited: I mean, you do not buy soldiers, workers and scientists, you encounter people in the wastelands, maybe sometimes a kid is born in your settlement, all with randomized stats. And later you develop them in to the productive members of your post-apocalyptic society. Equip them and level them up.
I think one of the major problems with this is that the data handling becomes very cumbersome very quickly when you have a hundred+ characters, each with their own stats, skills and inventory, running around.

Citizen

My calculator and dect phone are probably the only computational devices in my house that don't have mom installed.

But I'm thinking about even smaller scale - individual figures instead of units, every one with complete set of stats and skills, which would determine their roles in a settlement. High INT - lab worker, combat stats/skills and high CHA - exporing party leader, etc. Thea the Awakening style. Research system based on finding the pieces of pre-ITZ tech, not just research trees. And combat should be a better version of F:T turn-based mode, with individual figures using items, wasting ammo and so on. So, all the RPG elements of original fallouts, but wrapped in a 4x.

Edited: I mean, you do not buy soldiers, workers and scientists, you encounter people in the wastelands, maybe sometimes a kid is born in your settlement, all with randomized stats. And later you develop them in to the productive members of your post-apocalyptic society. Equip them and level them up.
I think one of the major problems with this is that the data handling becomes very cumbersome very quickly when you have a hundred+ characters, each with their own stats, skills and inventory, running around.

Smaller scale, man. It's post-apocalyptic, so I'm thinking about ~50 chars maximum. And most of them would do automated work - researching, building and manufacturing. So you don't really bother with their inventory after you equipped them for basic self-defense. Also I really love the idea of programmable character development - you assign the skillpoints and perks for future lvlups before you got them, like Arcanum's schemes for companions, but fully customized. So you get a char, decide for him to become a explosive + lockpick expert for scouting, make a lvlup scheme and only change it if you really changed your mind about his role. So as cumbersome as equipping squads in UFO, but that's why we people like it.

Cael

Arcane
Smaller scale, man. It's post-apocalyptic, so I'm thinking about ~50 chars maximum. And most of them would do automated work - researching, building and manufacturing. So you don't really bother with their inventory after you equipped them for basic self-defense. Also I really love the idea of programmable character development - you assign the skillpoints and perks for future lvlups before you got them, like Arcanum's schemes for companions, but fully customized. So you get a char, decide for him to become a explosive + lockpick expert for scouting, make a lvlup scheme and only change it if you really changed your mind about his role. So as cumbersome as equipping squads in UFO, but that's why we people like it.
What is your challenge? What is the goal?

It seems to me that you have what amounts to a single civ 4x type game, which is supremely boring.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Either this is a Fallout spin-off like New Vegas or F3 remaster.... Bethesda is working on this starfield or whatever so this is done by other company

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
New Vegas came out two years after 3, so if history is any guide we're about due for a spinoff. I doubt they would do this kind of promotion for a remaster; would be too stupid for words.

I hate to admit it, but I'm a little excited about the possibility that they may have given this to a halfway decent studio. Hope springs eternal...

Yet the "Please stand by" gif was posted by Bethesda Games Studio twitter account. Why would they do that if it's made by another studio?

Because Zenimax owns other internal studios like Arcane, Id, Avalanche, Bethesda is the main studio so like other dude said, to not spoil it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lol, poor Makabb has to play the skeptic after his bullshit speculation actually got preempted by something even more unexpected

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
lol, poor Makabb has to play the skeptic after his bullshit speculation actually got preempted by something even more unexpected

Starfield is still coming, it's just the biggest news for this E3, they are playing the smaller cards earlier.

Trashos

Arcane
Today, we are proud to announce Fallout Indiana. The franchise returns to the exploration of the harsh realities and morals a post-apocalyptic world, and aims to offer the truest RPG experience ever accomplished. Hint hint: People loved FO4's gunplay and New Vegas' world building and choice & consequence, and we have taken notice. To this end, we have teamed up with our old pals Obsidian, as well as many other colleagues who have worked on the franchise over the years.

Project Director: Tim "I made this thing" Cain
Narrative Director: Chris "the stealth approach needs more work" Avellone
Art Director: Leonard "it looks good but let's make it a masterpiece" Boyarsky
Systems Director: Josh "is survival a useful skill yet" Sawyer

Stay tuned for more exciting information.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
But another new Fallout is coming, New California will be soon released. I am already sure it will be better than anything Bethesda makes.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Meanwhile, listen to the Boston Radio!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom