Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game

Camrin

Novice
Azael said:
The best CRPG I've had the pleasure of playing to date, but not the best game all categories, that would probably belong to either Civilization 2 or Pirates!.

Well, I have to say Pirates! (and later P!Gold) were 1st on my list together with Daggerfall for a long time... That is, until Fallout came. Civilization 2? Aww, c'mon mate :wink:

I've only recently got Fallout Tactics mod -> AWAKEN, which kinda turns FOT:BoS into rpg. Just started to play this and must say it's not as bad substitute for Fallout 3 as one could think. It's been thought out and made mainly by one guy (from Poland), which makes it an impressive effort. The mod has it's flaws, but I think it's worth a try for a Fallout-desperados with fast internet connection (and don't worry, it's been translated to English). Just don't expect too much, and perhaps you'll be rewarded :)

Jed

Cipher
Fallout is definitely the cRPG I've ever played. Fallout 3 will be a pile of "next gen" shit, no doubt.

By the way... NECROMANCERS!

Now that I've gotten that out of my system, it was nice to see posts by some of the old timers that are no longer here that I forgot about, but miss now that I remember they were even here in the first place. A digital 40 on the curb for my dead homiez, Country_Gravy, Taoreich, Ortchel, and Azael.

User was nabbed fit

Fallout is definitely my favorite RPG of all time...

Fallout 3 will at best be a good game, but a shit Fallout game (in comparison).

User was nabbed fit

Sylvanus said:
The only thing I didn't like about Fallout? Too Short. That's it. I wanted more. I'm sad realizing that will never happen...(FO2 doesn't count...I played it first)

You and everyone else wanted more. Well, everyone that counts. I'm just pissed off the I don't see F3 bringing that 'more'.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Volourn said:
One of the best games ever indeed. :cool:

Fallout is DEAD DEAD DEAD. Get it through your thick fucking skull already. Fucking idiot.

Ladonna

Arcane
I have posted in this thread.

Question: How many Penii did the Master 'Consume'?

Gwendo

Augur
Hum... Now that this game is mentioned, I realized I've only played Fallout 2.

Hum... [Installing Fallout and playing for the first time!]

:D

SuAside

Novice
MaxiMegalon Institute of Slowly and Painfully Work
Gwendo said:
it's been my observation that people who play FO1 after FO2 usually are disappointed and tend to think FO2 is better. however people who played FO1 first usually say FO1 is better (like me).

let us know if this observation is correct ;)

PS: Fallout is one of the best games ever, but i guess you already knew that.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
let us know if this observation is correct
It wasn't for me. I played FO2 and never got far before quitting. I tried the first one at a later time and fell in love with it and was disappointed with the sequel.

Gwendo

Augur
I'm playing and enjoying it. I just had to get used to the interface (less ergonomic than F2 and FT's).

I won't say yet if it's better or worse that the sequel.

Right now I'm rich. I've found out that my companions don't have an inventory/weight limit, so I just give all armors, duplicate weapons and etc to my party member Ian. Then the only problem is to find people with money enough to buy my stock. :)

OsirisGod

Liturgist
FO1>FO2 , had the pleasure to experience this game arround 2002, because it didn't get any reviewes in local magazines or i wasn't reading computer game magazines when it came out (i don't know wich), someone though recomended it to me and it blew me away instantlly.

Why i loved FO1 more then 2? Lone wolf feeling, i still crave a cRPG that has no party, that's why Gothic was my next choice. :)

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
SuAside said:
Gwendo said:
it's been my observation that people who play FO1 after FO2 usually are disappointed and tend to think FO2 is better. however people who played FO1 first usually say FO1 is better (like me).

let us know if this observation is correct ;)

PS: Fallout is one of the best games ever, but i guess you already knew that.

No, it doesn't depend on what u've played first. It depends on taste. If u like stupid scientology, pop-culture references, tribals, temple of trials(omg) then you'll love second. If you like thought-out game world -first.

Julio

Scholar
<KreideBein> Haha
<Julio> only way to make John Rambo more bad ass is to have him Spine-Punch the gooks
<Chinese_Jetpilot> I had 4 expos at the time though
<Julio> wearing a Pepsi beret
<KreideBein> I thought that it was just three. :S

kris

Arcane
Julio said:
<KreideBein> Haha
<Julio> only way to make John Rambo more bad ass is to have him Spine-Punch the gooks
<Chinese_Jetpilot> I had 4 expos at the time though
<Julio> wearing a Pepsi beret
<KreideBein> I thought that it was just three. :S

He should hit them in the eye instead.

Keldryn

Arcane
I'm replaying Fallout now... um, mainly because I felt the urge to play it again and I haven't installed the original game in a good 6 or 7 years. I've considered it one of my favourite games of all time since I first played it, and I was curious if that still held true today.

The intro (along with Fallout 2's) is still one of the best intros in any game, ever made, on any platform. It sets the tone for the game perfectly, and still sends a chill down my spine.

The gameplay has aged very well, for the most part. The cliche giant rats in the cave outside the vault was instantly tedious, but thankfully didn't take too long to clear out. I couldn't remember where the various settlements were, as it had been so long since I last played it. I also couldn't remember if certain towns were in this game or in Fallout 2. The sense of freedom was still alive and well. I stumbled into the raiders' camp and got myself into a situation where I either had to whack the leader's cowering slave girls, or get killed myself. I ended up killing his girls, which gave me enough XP to level up, so I pumped everything into my guns skill and then took out the raiders and claimed their HQ for my own. :) More games need to let you do this stuff.

On the down side, the inventory system is still atrocious. I don't know how this was ever considered a usable interface. The graphics are still decent enough, but the utter repetitiveness is getting to me. All of the buildings in one town look way too similar, but the worst part is the lack of variety in character sprites. Depending on the armour that you are wearing, sometimes raiders or guards will look almost identical to you. That's annoying.

Also had some problems in Junktown with NPCs being ignorant of the world state and with quests that I had accomplished. That's irritating too, and I thought it had been fixed by one of the patches. When talking with the mayor of Junktown, I pissed him off by insulting his town, but all I had to do to get him friendly again was exit the conversation and start again.

The SPECIAL system is still probably my favourite CRPG system to date. A couple of the skills are mostly useless and not worth spending points on (Traps, Doctor, Barter), but it still stands out as one of the best.

Haven't finished yet, but I remember it only took me about 20-22 hours to finish the first time anyway. Having a blast with it though. The graphics get a bit wonky sometimes in Vista, with black squares on the screen or neon colour palettes.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
See, now I never had a problem with Fallout's inventory system. I quite liked re-organising my stack by simply dragging stuff off and back on so it would re-sort, then get all ym caps and stims up the top, useful weapons below and crap at the bottom.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom