Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternal Strands - fantasy action-adventure game from former Dragon Age director Mike Laidlaw

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

NOT published by Private Division. Details on April 2nd.

Last edited:

Odoryuk

Educated
Why is everyone and their mom doubling down on this artstyle?
This is the artstyle today's kids will remember as nostalgic and will try emulate dated and primitive shaders of yesteryears in Unity 7 and Unreal Engine 12 fiften years from now.

Old Hans

Arcane
I love these types of game teasers where you know there are no game systems implemented yet and its just some fly-by shots of test levels

Hellraiser

Arcane
This is the artstyle today's kids will remember as nostalgic and will try emulate dated and primitive shaders of yesteryears in Unity 7 and Unreal Engine 12 fiften years from now.
I blame WoW.
Yeah, it looks like WoW with better lighting (raytracing?). And as mentioned the saturated cartoony style has replaced the everything is brown of the late 00s/early 10s quite some time ago.

Also it's easier to do, I guess.

ropetight

Savant
I blame WoW.
Yeah, it looks like WoW with better lighting (raytracing?). And as mentioned the saturated cartoony style has replaced the everything is brown of the late 00s/early 10s quite some time ago.

Also it's easier to do, I guess.
It became CalArts cartoon style of the video games, everyone is so fed up with it.

It has one great upside - characters and animations are much more believable and less uncanny valley than in realistic, shiny style with sharp textures.
Paradox of muppets being your best friends and robots with realistic face being your worst nightmare.

Gargaune

Magister
Dunno, man, it's bizarre. Whatever the reason, it feels like we've got an entire generation of artists whose brains just default to it. You'd imagine with this degree of saturation, some of 'em would start getting fed up of it too, maybe try and stand out from the crowd with something different, but nope, it keeps on coming.

Machocruz

Arcane
Relatively simple geometry and don't have to spend time working out a more original style.. Considering how many of these games come out and how quickly, it's just easy and fast to do.

Old Hans

Arcane
I blame WoW.
at least WoW had the excuse that it was based on the Warcraft III engine, so it already had that low poly cartoon look. It certaintluy aged MUCH better than its competitor Everquest II which looked like someones bad bryce 3d art

La vie sexuelle

Learned
wow.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Mike Laidlaw said:
Woah woah woahhhh there.

I will not have my love of RPGs called into question without retort. As I type this I am looking at my displayed original boxes of Wasteland, Ultima 4, 5, 6, and 7 and the original Phantasie for the C64.

I like RPGs. I like them a lot. So much so that I will fight tooth and nail to keep party-based mechanics and gameplay viable in todays market, when it would have been infinitely easier for me to move Dragon Age to a single-character RPG or action game.

Now, as to this thread, which I find illuminating, let me quite clear: I am absolutely, positively, all about expanding the audience for party-based RPGs. I am shameless in wanting the entire planet to enjoy a genre I am passionate about. It is not an easy task, and I do not think we made a perfect move to do so in DAII; I have said as much already.

Baldur's Gate 3 really showed this asshole how it's done. And now he's doing a single-character action RPG, figures.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Why is there a thread for 20 seconds of Unity assets?
Because Infinitron. Because eat goyslop, goy. Because: be open-minded, click on link, let Jew eat your brain. Because bury good games being made with mountains of WOKE shit. You still think Jews wish you well and want you to play good RPGs?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Why is there a thread for 20 seconds of Unity assets?
Because Infinitron. Because eat goyslop, goy. Because: be open-minded, click on link, let Jew eat your brain. Because bury good games being made with mountains of WOKE shit. You still think Jews wish you well and want you to play good RPGs?
And he's going to push this despite the immediate reactions all being negative.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom