Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favorite RPG from each decade?

purpleblob

Augur
00s: Baldur's Gate 2, honourable mention: NWN for HotU and user made HoF modules
10s: Pathfinder: Kingmaker
20s: Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, honourable mention: Dragon's Dogma 2

yeye

Augur
91-00: Baldur's Gate 2
01-10: What a dreadful time but FNV technically sneaks in right at the end. Seriously, there are more better RPG's out in the last 3 years than this whole decade.
11-20: Witcher 3
21-present: Baldur's Gate 3

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
01-10: What a dreadful time but FNV technically sneaks in right at the end. Seriously, there are more better RPG's out in the last 3 years than this whole decade.
Idk, all the Troika games, Icewind Dale 2, KOTOR 1&2, Mask of the Betrayer, the aforementioned Fallout: New Vegas, Alpha Protocol and the only good Dragon Age all come from this period. Even Vogel was extra productive then, giving us all his Geneforge saga.

Sure it was all spread out throughout a decade, but still.

baba is you

Educated
1980: Dragon Wars

I'm still waiting for Dragon Wars Remastered. I expected Dragon Wars Remastered to come out right after Bard's Tale Remastered, but there's still no news.

1990: Wizardry 7

I was wondering whether to pick Fallout 1, Ultima 7, or Wizardry 7. Among them, Wizardry 7 was more memorable, so I chose Wizardry 7.

2000: Arcanum

There are many good RPGs in 2000. It's hard to pick just one. However, Arcanum is close to an ideal RPG, except for the combat.

2010: New Vegas

If I were to choose an action RPG, I would choose Dark Souls, but for a more traditional RPG, I would choose New Vegas.

2020 : The Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos

There are some good RPGs in 2020, but it seems hard to find anything better than The Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos.

roguefrog

Liturgist
I don't know why this matters. I said here's a list of great PC RPGs released during the period 1999-2003.

Agreed. In that period of a mere four years there were several good CRPG releases. Not sloppy seconds console ports. After 2003, almost everything is console focused and console first as traditional PC developers shift to support the Xbox.

Adolf Shitler

Novice
1980s: Hellowoon - Das Geheimnis des Zauberstabs
1990s: Das Schwarze Auge - Die Schicksalsklinge
2000s: Gothic
2010s: Blackguards

Dyspaire

Cipher
1970s: Temple of Asphai
1980s: Ultima 5/Wasteland
1990s: Baldur's Gate/Fallout
2000s: Icewind Dale/Arcanum
2010s: Underrail/Deadfire (turn-based,potd)
2020s: tbd

(Fuck me those were some glorious years there right around the turn. It's crazy how much of the very best of this hobby comes down to the work and artistry of just a few dozen dudes.)

huskarls

Scholar
King of dragon pass
Liberal crime squad
Temple of elemental evil with circle of 8 mod
Wrotr

Reality

Learned
80: Pool of Radiance
90:Jagged Alliance 2
00: Wizardry 8
10: Blackguards 1
20: Jupiter Hell

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
80s - demon's winter
90s - lands of lore
00s - morrowind for rpg but knights of the chalice for combat
10s - age of decadence
20s - knights of the chalice 2 or age of fear i'm enamoured with both and the decades not half spent

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom