Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Feargus talks TVG ear off

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
There is little or no skill in getting connections (you just have to be in the right place at the right time), the skill is in what you do once you got your chance due to your connections.

Old Scratch

Liturgist
Gromnir said:
"Do you think people bought IWD because it was a superb example of the genre? Hell no, they bought it because there are a lot of D&D fiends out there and naive people like me thought it might bear some similarity in quality and scope to Baldur's Gate, Fallout, or PS:T. Yet it ended up being a completely hum-drum, generic feeling, party-based hack & slash. Don't pull some bullshit like saying that's just my opinion either, because it's the general perception of that game and you know it. "

people bought iwd 'cause they were waiting for bg2, and iwd were seeming like a nice snack... but as for your opinion 'bout how it turned out... iwd had better writing and better design than did bg1... better art and music too. so yeah, we thinks your opinion is bullshit. given how little the bis developers had to work with in terms of time and resources, they did a fantastic job with iwd. (the troika clowns coulda' learned a thing or two from the bis folks 'bout making a game on a tight schedule.) some of the best ie locales were in iwd... likes severed hand and upper dorn. the problem is that bis were too succesful with iwd. took so little to make and it were so profitable by comparisson. you thinks fo made iwd kinda money for Interplay?

Oh c'mon Gromnir, the design and writing in IWD were horrendous.

"Please party of adventurers, save my magical tree. Go kill 600 orcs, no wait, go kill 600 GHOST orcs!"

As for the art, a great deal of it was borrowed from BioWare in the first place. The implementation of the combat system--the main thing the game revolved around--was also borrowed from BioWare. Give credit where credit is due. Who gives a shit about the music if it's layed on top of a boring, uninspired game?

IceWind Dale was little more than a minute mess of splattered bug guts on the wall of CRPG history.

talk 'bout bass akwards. obsidian, unlike troika, gots probably a fantastic reputation with publishers. lucas arts gave obsidian X months to complete kotor2... then halfway through development they tells obsidian that they is gonna get X-3 months to complete. unlikes troika, obsidian did not bitch and moan and fail to meet deadlines. obsidian folks made some hard choices and got a product out on schedule and made lucas a bunch o' money in the process. the fact that obsidian were able to gets kotor2 out given the obstacles hurt their reputation with publishers?

If LucasArts is so crazy about Obsidian, why are they even hesitating to give them another shot at the license? Have you completely ignored the complaints that KOTOR 2 felt incomplete? On schedule indeed. With the exception of Bloodlines, Troika created their games from scratch, Obsidian basically only had to make a professional mod of an exsisting game. The fact is, when a company gets in the habit of trying to rush a game, the quality of it is bound to suffer.

you think fergie wants to make games in less than a year? don't be ridiculous. unfortunately, fergieco is a small independent developer with very little leverage with publishers. after a few succesful games maybe he gets leverage, but he ain't dictating policy to publishers. "give us 3 years to make bg3." fergie tried that at bis and he couldn't pull it off when he the weight o' interplay behind him. how likely is he to be able to pull something like that off right now?

He made it sound like if he had a choice, he'd prefer to stick to small, rushed games. Feargus' business philosophy is what we're discussing here Gromnir, not the companies possible, present limitations. Pay attention and stop with the straw man arguments.

start up co. gots all kinds of expenses... forget making profit. for the first couple of years you is typically simply trying to pay rent and workman's comp, etc. lots of sleepless nights. but fergie managed to get kotor2 and nwn2 for obsidian right out of the gate. try to twist that into something negative? insane. if you is one of the handful of folks that fergie convinced to come work for him at obsidian, do you suppose that they is relieved or dissappointed that they can rely on regular paychecks for the forseeable future?

Did I criticize him anywhere for landing the NWN and KOTOR licenses? No. Making a logical move and calling on some old favors does not mean he has a good vision for the companies future past getting off the ground though.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Missed this line:

Gromnir said:
... given how little the bis developers had to work with in terms of time and resources, they did a fantastic job with iwd. (the troika clowns coulda' learned a thing or two from the bis folks 'bout making a game on a tight schedule.)
Why? To accomplish what goal? Since when being able to make an uninspiring game without (m)any strong and memorable qualities (refers to both IWD games and KOTOR2) on a tight schedule is some kind of an accomplishment?

suibhne

Erudite
I'm not going to wade into the rest of this, but I will comment that Fergie's management style (as he describes it) is both admirable and unfortunately all too rare - in any industry. He's described a dev process that invites input from the whole team and encourages everyone to participate in decision-making processes, and he's characterized his own door as always open.

Now, I have no idea if he actually runs his company like that or just likes to mouth platitudes to gaming rags - I've seen plenty of people who talk the talk but remain cripples when it comes to walking. A few years back, tho, I actually sent a Fergie post-wrap diary around to friends doing organizational development work, just because I was impressed with the principles. If done right, that approach is the way to create a positive climate for your staff and get good commitment and contribution to the effort. Contrast it with EA. :roll:

Azarkon

Arcane

"Please party of adventurers, save my magical tree. Go kill 600 orcs, no wait, go kill 600 GHOST orcs!"

You're confusing quest design with writing, I'm afraid.

As for the art, a great deal of it was borrowed from BioWare in the first place. The implementation of the combat system--the main thing the game revolved around--was also borrowed from BioWare. Give credit where credit is due. Who gives a shit about the music if it's layed on top of a boring, uninspired game?

IWD's art was easily superior to both BG and BG II, and outside of some avatar/monster graphics it had little to do with Bioware. It's not in the art or music direction that IWD "failed" (though that, as Gromnir states, is a matter of perspective); give credit where it is due.

Did I criticize him anywhere for landing the NWN and KOTOR licenses? No. Making a logical move and calling on some old favors does not mean he has a good vision for the companies future past getting off the ground though.

You're absolutely right. However, Feargus haven't made a major mistake yet that I can see. Yes, KOTOR 2 was rushed - but that wasn't Feargus, that was Lucas Arts deciding to change the deadline half way through. Yeah, he seems to say all the wrong things in interviews, but it's not like they mean much until we see the final product. Yes, Ferret left the team, but nothing indicates that it was because of anything Feargus did.

So the way I see it, the only thing you can really criticize Feargus about right now is his "philosophy" (which might or might not be just smooth talking) and his decision to pick quick-production cycle sequels to start off the company with. Since the latter decision is a reasonably sensible business choice that's clearly gotten Obsidian off the ground and onto the radar, I really wouldn't call out Feargus just yet.

Some of the things he said in the interview are pretty disheartening, but then again, most game industry interviews are to the demographics of this board.

Old Scratch

Liturgist
Azarkon said:

You're confusing quest design with writing, I'm afraid.

Don't be fucking silly. The quality of the main story, as well as the background behind the things you're tasked to do in a game all reflect on the quality of writing as well as overall design. The writing itself was bland as can be.

IWD's art was easily superior to both BG and BG II, and outside of some avatar/monster graphics it had little to do with Bioware. It's not in the art or music direction that IWD "failed" (though that, as Gromnir states, is a matter of perspective); give credit where it is due.

I disagree about it's graphical superiority to BG2. Outside of avatar and monster graphics, how much was left? The backgrounds? They looked decent enough, thanks in part to BioWares engine and some relatively talented artists. When did decent backgrounds and music alone equal to a good role-playing or even action game? Nice job attempting to be cute and mock what I said, but at least put some fucking thought into it and read more carefully next time please. Unless you'd like to point out where I said the music was bad. Or are you trying to deny that a large percentage of the game was borrowed from BG?

So the way I see it, the only thing you can really criticize Feargus about right now is his "philosophy" (which might or might not be just smooth talking) and his decision to pick quick-production cycle sequels to start off the company with.

Well damn, that's exactly what I thought I was doing, but your permission means a lot to me. I don't think it can be played off as mere "smooth talking", given that he has exercised that philosophy in the past at BIS though.

Since the latter decision is a reasonably sensible business choice that's clearly gotten Obsidian off the ground and onto the radar, I really wouldn't call out Feargus just yet.

Been pointed out several times already, but that decision was a no-brainer.

Some of the things he said in the interview are pretty disheartening, but then again, most game industry interviews are to the demographics of this board.

"Demographics" of this board = people who know what they like, and can spot patterns that end up hindering the overall quality of games? I think anyone who has a remote interest in this hobby and isn't prone to fanboyism is capable of such discernments.

Given that they are one of the few experienced development studios trying to focus on CRPGs, I do hope Obsidian has a successful future ahead of them. They certainly have some proven, talented people associated with this genre working there. But some of the comments Feargus made in this, and other interviews could lead one to believe he's still stuck in Slam Dunk mode, and it would be a fucking shame for those kind of screwy business philosophies be the thing that drives Obsidian into being just another mediocre development studio making shitty, uninspired, half-finished games that no one will remember or care about two years after their release.

Llyranor

Liturgist
I'm not too concerned about NWN2 being rushed this time around, at least story-wise. As pointed out in one of the interviews, the story/writing is done, so it's polishing until Q3. If anything, that at least spells a finished product on that end.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
bryce777 said:
is bryce777 only one hoo find it eye-ron-ic dat weird guy who talk bout self in 3rd person and roleplays character honline call udders child-ish?
As I understand, this style of posting serves Gronmir as some kind of protecting suit against the Codex germs he's terribly afraid of. I've been a rare lurker in Obsidian boards for a while and never noticed such an odd posting from him there.

Seven

Erudite
Gnidrologist said:
bryce777 said:
is bryce777 only one hoo find it eye-ron-ic dat weird guy who talk bout self in 3rd person and roleplays character honline call udders child-ish?
As I understand, this style of posting serves Gronmir as some kind of protecting suit against the Codex germs he's terribly afraid of. I've been a rare lurker in Obsidian boards for a while and never noticed such an odd posting from him there.

No, he does it elsewhere. Apparently, every one thinks he's a great role player if not a great thinker.

Spazmo

Erudite
No way! Gromnir is a total intellectual. Just look! He occasionally cites Jung! That makes him 100% credible, and irresistibly sexy.

Stephen Amber

Novice
Gromnir is his half orc character that he's unleashed on the world of message boards. Bio thought enough of him to give him a BG2 Throne of Bhaal cameo.

Old Scratch

Liturgist
bryce777 said:
Spazmo said:
No way! Gromnir is a total intellectual. Just look! He occasionally cites Jung! That makes him 100% credible, and irresistibly sexy.

People who quote Jung are usually rapist, just like people who cite freud are often pedophiles.

:lol: Not sure about that, but it's a hell of an insinuation.

Azarkon

Arcane
Old Scratch said:
Don't be fucking silly. The quality of the main story, as well as the background behind the things you're tasked to do in a game all reflect on the quality of writing as well as overall design. The writing itself was bland as can be.

Well, there's probably a reason Gromnir said writing and not story, don't you think? You're arguing semantics, and that's always a waste of time. Still, it doesn't take a literature major to see that IWD had excellent writing relative to the gaming scene - it simply lacked quantity.

I disagree about it's graphical superiority to BG2. Outside of avatar and monster graphics, how much was left? The backgrounds? They looked decent enough, thanks in part to BioWares engine and some relatively talented artists. When did decent backgrounds and music alone equal to a good role-playing or even action game? Nice job attempting to be cute and mock what I said, but at least put some fucking thought into it and read more carefully next time please. Unless you'd like to point out where I said the music was bad. Or are you trying to deny that a large percentage of the game was borrowed from BG?

*Some* monster and avatar graphics were borrowed. Not most. And those that were replaced looked alot better (ie the elementals). The portraits had much better art, as did the areas (and not just the backgrounds - also the layout). And where did I say that good graphics and music equaled a good roleplaying or action game? I said give credit where it's due - and that's in the graphics department. Don't downplay what was better, especially when the devs made a conscious decision to ignore the other aspects. Yes, IWD did not have extensive roleplaying choices (but then again, neither did BG); that wasn't what it was about.

"Demographics" of this board = people who know what they like, and can spot patterns that end up hindering the overall quality of games? I think anyone who has a remote interest in this hobby and isn't prone to fanboyism is capable of such discernments.

Roleplaying choice is music to Codex ears, but it ain't music to the ears of the vast majority of gamers in the world. To them, Feargus's focus on newbie friendliness and improved graphics are much more important than any semblance of non-linearity. They also don't care if they were the Chosen One, so long as the story is "tight." Knowing the audience is paramount to knowing whether certain design decisions are right or wrong.

Given that they are one of the few experienced development studios trying to focus on CRPGs, I do hope Obsidian has a successful future ahead of them. They certainly have some proven, talented people associated with this genre working there. But some of the comments Feargus made in this, and other interviews could lead one to believe he's still stuck in Slam Dunk mode, and it would be a fucking shame for those kind of screwy business philosophies be the thing that drives Obsidian into being just another mediocre development studio making shitty, uninspired, half-finished games that no one will remember or care about two years after their release.

And yet, if that's what it takes to pay the bills, that's exactly what's going to happen. Moreover, whether a game is memorable highly depends on the audience. Oblivion will likely go down in history as a memorable game... Just not necessarily to those who frequent this board.

Old Scratch

Liturgist
Azarkon said:
Well, there's probably a reason Gromnir said writing and not story, don't you think?

Are you deliberately trying to sound like a moron, or does it come natural? The actual story and the way it's presented(mainly through dialogue) reflect on the quality of the writing, if you can't grasp that, then I can't help you.

You're arguing semantics, and that's always a waste of time.

Are you replying to yourself? I thought I was pretty clear the first time around. You seem desperate to cling to semantics for some reason though, and you're right that's not important. Lets skip to the chase and assume I know what motherfucking writing is, which you should've done from the start, given that the format we're having this discussion in requires written communication.

Still, it doesn't take a literature major to see that IWD had excellent writing relative to the gaming scene - it simply lacked quantity

Good writing isn't boring, shallow, and cliche. Yeah, there are plenty of games out there with much worse writing in comparison, but the point you seem to be missing, is that ultimately it was completely forgettable.

*Some* monster and avatar graphics were borrowed. Not most. And those that were replaced looked alot better (ie the elementals). The portraits had much better art, as did the areas (and not just the backgrounds - also the layout). And where did I say that good graphics and music equaled a good roleplaying or action game? I said give credit where it's due - and that's in the graphics department. Don't downplay what was better, especially when the devs made a conscious decision to ignore the other aspects.

The graphics were not that good for their time. Not a big deal for me as I don't get hung up too much on graphics in CRPGs, but IWD was really just a party-based action game. Frankly, I thought the graphics were garbage and one of the main obstacles in my enjoyment of the game, but I'm trying to be reasonable here...don't push it.

Yes, IWD did not have extensive roleplaying choices (but then again, neither did BG); that wasn't what it was about.

I know, "it was about" being an action game in the vein of Fallout: Tactics, but it was a piss-poor example of the genre.

Roleplaying choice is music to Codex ears, but it ain't music to the ears of the vast majority of gamers in the world. To them, Feargus's focus on newbie friendliness and improved graphics are much more important than any semblance of non-linearity. They also don't care if they were the Chosen One, so long as the story is "tight." Knowing the audience is paramount to knowing whether certain design decisions are right or wrong.

I'm not part of any perceived hive-mind, so can that shit.

Ease of use for new players and improved graphics over an old game that already looked questionable amounts to very little. CRPG fans--Obsidians target audience--do not like linearity. Hell, even critics and FPS fans like me are starting to look negatively on linearity in those games. The days of being able to have a successful, popular game based simply on a "tight" story are over. You appear to be completely out of touch if you think the things you listed are the driving factors behind a successful game.

Like I stated in my first post, they can get away with certain things while using a popular license, but eventually even that crutch will run out if the development studio isn't careful.

Feargus has never been involved in a game that featured cutting edge graphics at their time of release anyway. Maybe that will change, but with short development cycles like he seems to prefer, it seems unlikely without borrowing someone elses tech heavily. When you rush games, everything is bound to suffer for it.

And yet, if that's what it takes to pay the bills, that's exactly what's going to happen. Moreover, whether a game is memorable highly depends on the audience. Oblivion will likely go down in history as a memorable game... Just not necessarily to those who frequent this board.

To make a successful, high-quality, memorable retail game these days, it requires a significant time investment. 18 months just doesn't cut it unless they plan on ripping off other people's work or heavily recycling their own games. Eventually the good doctors at BioWare are going to get sick of breast-feeding Feargus.

You know, I've been through this same discussion many times with fruit baskets like you as BIS was crumbling. People claimed that IWD 2, Dark Alliance 2, and Fallout: POS were brilliant business moves as quick cash-cow games. Since as you claimed, "the vast majority" of gamers just want decent graphics, noob friendliness, and a story that doesn't suck. Guess how that turned out?

In my first post, I provided examples of successful companies and the contradictory business models they seem to employ, yet you're championing a model that has only shown to be a failure in the long-term, time and again for small development studios. The reality is, games are expensive, and most gamers are not completely retarded. They may get taken in by a fancy license once, but the next time around most people will spend their money elsewhere if not much appears to have changed and you're still offering the same, average, half-baked kinda product.

Time will tell I guess.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Not really. The success of a startup depends on the business ties of the owner. Does it really come as a surprise that Feargus, who had always worked closely with Bio, managed to land two Bio-started franchises? Are we talking about superior business sense or about some people he knew? Does anyone really think that Feargus could have landed those two whales of games without Bio help and a good word?
Say what?

Feargus has clout, and that is good for business. It comes from making the right connections to the right people and maintaining a good relationship to these people in order to benefit oneself and one's business. Feargus is therefore, pretty good business sense. To say otherwise is bullshit.

With the exception of Bloodlines, Troika created their games from scratch, Obsidian basically only had to make a professional mod of an exsisting game. The fact is, when a company gets in the habit of trying to rush a game, the quality of it is bound to suffer.
Temple of Elemental Evil was based on the module of the same name by Gary Gygax and was set within D&D 3.5e. I'd hardly call that creating a game from scratch, especially considering how they followed the module to the letter. They didn't exactly innovate the storyline.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Sol Invictus said:
Not really. The success of a startup depends on the business ties of the owner. Does it really come as a surprise that Feargus, who had always worked closely with Bio, managed to land two Bio-started franchises? Are we talking about superior business sense or about some people he knew? Does anyone really think that Feargus could have landed those two whales of games without Bio help and a good word?
Say what?

Feargus has clout, and that is good for business. It comes from making the right connections to the right people and maintaining a good relationship to these people in order to benefit oneself and one's business. Feargus is therefore, pretty good business sense. To say otherwise is bullshit.
Business sense? Is picking up a penny a good business sense? Is realizing that these guys who run Bioware might be helpful in the future a good business sense? A good business sense would be NOT mismanaging TORN, not focusing on slamdunks, not fucking up the IWD expansion that forced BIS to spend more time on a free mini-expansion, not fucking up IWD2, and not fucking up KOTOR2 in order to get KOTOR3. Did I make my point, Rex?

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Feargus seems like a pretty good dev, a decent businessman and a shitty PR guy. Whenever someone else besides Feargie talks about NWN2, i anticipate it more. We'll get to see if his business skillz are l88t when they release some IPs.

And what's the story with this Gromnir guy? Just some BIS/Obsidian fanboy who likes to talk in the 3rd person?

Azarkon

Arcane
Old Scratch said:
Are you deliberately trying to sound like a moron, or does it come natural? The actual story and the way it's presented(mainly through dialogue) reflect on the quality of the writing, if you can't grasp that, then I can't help you.

If you define writing as such. But surely there's a difference between linguistic virtuosity and a engaging plot/characters. Dan Brown, for instance, has a knack for the latter, but none of the former. Joyce, on the other hand...

Good writing isn't boring, shallow, and cliche.

Are you just throwing out generalizations or do you have proof that IWD's writing is somehow boring, shallow, and cliche relative to the rest of the CRPG genre? Certainly, the game lacks PS:T's flourish, but compared to BG/BG2? You might be surprised if you examine the actual writing, by which I mean the construction of sentences, word use, imagery, and style.

The graphics were not that good for their time. Not a big deal for me as I don't get hung up too much on graphics in CRPGs, but IWD was really just a party-based action game. Frankly, I thought the graphics were garbage and one of the main obstacles in my enjoyment of the game, but I'm trying to be reasonable here...don't push it.

You're far from trying to be reasonable, what with ad hominem attacks every other paragraph. Being reasonable requires a certain degree of class, which anyone who starts off his post calling his opponent "moron" and ends it with "fruit cake" lacks. Ah, see? I can resort to the same posting style, if you prefer.

I know, "it was about" being an action game in the vein of Fallout: Tactics, but it was a piss-poor example of the genre.

It was better than Fallout: Tactics by a long shot.

Ease of use for new players and improved graphics over an old game that already looked questionable amounts to very little. CRPG fans--Obsidians target audience--do not like linearity.

Oh? And how would you know that? Market sampling? Forum analysis? Polls? Unlike you, Bioware and Obsidian have both conducted the aforementioned research. Last I checked, Bioware's conclusion was that the vast majority of people played a game once and never looked back, thus validating their philosophy of making a "tight" single-run plot.

Hell, even critics and FPS fans like me are starting to look negatively on linearity in those games. The days of being able to have a successful, popular game based simply on a "tight" story are over. You appear to be completely out of touch if you think the things you listed are the driving factors behind a successful game.

On the contraire, JRPGs are exactly that, and they are among the best selling RPGs of this day and age (the other consist of MMORPGs). OTOH, the only best-selling non-linear single-player RPG I'm aware of is Oblivion (and Gothic if you count the Euro scene), and I beg to differ if you intend to offer it up as the example of a great game.

Feargus has never been involved in a game that featured cutting edge graphics at their time of release anyway. Maybe that will change, but with short development cycles like he seems to prefer, it seems unlikely without borrowing someone elses tech heavily. When you rush games, everything is bound to suffer for it.

That remains to be seen. NWN 2 is the first Obsidian game that will have had its "full" development cycle under Feargus's philosophy, since KOTOR 2's was cut short by LA. If NWN 2 bombs, we'll know that you're right.

To make a successful, high-quality, memorable retail game these days, it requires a significant time investment. 18 months just doesn't cut it unless they plan on ripping off other people's work or heavily recycling their own games. Eventually the good doctors at BioWare are going to get sick of breast-feeding Feargus.

You seem to have a stigma against re-use of technology. I am of the opposite mind: technology should be re-used whenever possible. Game development is, as you say, expensive - and it will only get more expensive, until the only developers capable of making those successful, high-quality, memorable retail games will be the likes of EA and Blizzard.

As long as consumers are not willing to shell out $100+ dollars for a game, business sense dictates that to develop financially successful, AAA games you must do one of two things: appeal to a massive player base, or reuse existing technology. Personally, I'd prefer the latter if it means that I'd get games tailored to my more eccentric interests. Obsidian, right now, is trying to do both. But I'd really challenge anyone who claims that KOTOR 2 succeeded in mass appeal; the game's style is uniquely BIS, and thus clique.

You know, I've been through this same discussion many times with fruit baskets like you as BIS was crumbling. People claimed that IWD 2, Dark Alliance 2, and Fallout: POS were brilliant business moves as quick cash-cow games. Since as you claimed, "the vast majority" of gamers just want decent graphics, noob friendliness, and a story that doesn't suck. Guess how that turned out?

Like how EA is capable of pushing out the same crap every year and make a killing doing it?

IWD 2, Dark Alliance 2, and Fallout: BOS were subpar games done on outdated engines. At the time IWD was released, the IE was hardly outdated, which is one reason why it was financially successful. Tellingly, NWN 2 is not re-using NWN's engine, which should say something about Obsidian's differences (arguably, KOTOR 2 was IWD 2 done "right" - ie utilizing a popular license, with a fast development cycle, to catch the sequelitis boat before people forgot about the original; if Obsidian made KOTOR 3, I'd fully expect them to use a new engine). Clearly, the BIS folks have learned from their mistakes.

In my first post, I provided examples of successful companies and the contradictory business models they seem to employ, yet you're championing a model that has only shown to be a failure in the long-term, time and again for small development studios. The reality is, games are expensive, and most gamers are not completely retarded. They may get taken in by a fancy license once, but the next time around most people will spend their money elsewhere if not much appears to have changed and you're still offering the same, average, half-baked kinda product.

Feargus's claim that he would've "loved" to make a Fallout MMO makes me think that he is well aware of the benefits accrued from a significant undertaking. At the same time, companies that engage in such undertakings are rather rare and are usually possessed of vast financial resources. I do not believe Obsidian is capable of engaging in such a pursuit, especially given the traditional technical problems this particular team has demonstrated in the past (see: TORN). Without a dramatic expansion of the company, Obsidian *will*, indeed, be a re-use heavy developer. But why is that a bad thing? You're looking at this from the perspective of a gamer looking for the Next Big Thing(tm). Try to see it from the perspective of job security: would Obsidian rather produce relatively "good" games to satisfy a CRPG drought (there's certainly such a demand, given that even ToEE managed to sell reasonably) or risk it all, at this point in the developers' lifetimes (ie Sawyer, MCA, et. all are not "young" anymore), for a title that could bomb and waste 3-4 years of development time/resources?

Remember old RPG games like Ultima and M&M? We complain about sequelitis today, but how many sequels did those games have, ultimately? And how long did they sustain their respective companies?

With that said, I fully expect that Obsidian will change its own design philosophy once the company is reasonably secure in its assets. Feargus is not the sole founder of Obsidian, you know. But even MCA, these days, have expressed the need to cater to gamers' "instant gratification" desires. I don't think he's talking out of his ass.

EDIT: And to be honest, think about a game developer's own interests. Feargus expressed a line that, in my mind, was rather salient: you only learn once per game development cycle. I don't think he's talking about learning in the sense of better writing, better design, or whatnot, but rather a better gauging of *consumer* desires. If you push out a game once every four years, that's the only time when you'll really get feedback as to whether your game matches the market. OTOH, smaller releases over time gives you the opportunity to perfect your craft. This is actually accurate from a software engineering point of view, which stresses the flexibility of an iterative development model.

Old Scratch

Liturgist
Azarkon said:
If you define writing as such. But surely there's a difference between linguistic virtuosity and a engaging plot/characters. Dan Brown, for instance, has a knack for the latter, but none of the former. Joyce, on the other hand...

When I spoke of writing, that encompassed all aspects of it as they're presented in within the game. Dialogue, plot, characters, the history behind locations, as well as the technical proficiency, style, etc.. They all struck me as being unexceptional to bland.

Are you just throwing out generalizations or do you have proof that IWD's writing is somehow boring, shallow, and cliche relative to the rest of the CRPG genre? Certainly, the game lacks PS:T's flourish, but compared to BG/BG2? You might be surprised if you examine the actual writing, by which I mean the construction of sentences, word use, imagery, and style.

Obviously it's an opinion, based on past experience with games in the genre. Even if the technical aspects are adequate, if there's nothing interesting being presented by them, the writing ultimately fails to be interesting. Quantity is also worth noting when you start making comparisons to other games. Diablo 2 may have had exceptional writing, but there wasn't a whole lot there to measure, when you compare it to a game like Baldus Gate 2, Fallout, or even the random Final Fantasy game.

You're far from trying to be reasonable, what with ad hominem attacks every other paragraph. Being reasonable requires a certain degree of class, which anyone who starts off his post calling his opponent "moron" and ends it with "fruit cake" lacks. Ah, see? I can resort to the same posting style, if you prefer.

From the first line in your initial response to me, you insulted my intelligence by suggesting I'm incapable of distinguishing between design elements of a game and writing, where a reasonable person would've assumed I knew the difference and left it alone. You have belabored the same pompous straw man for three posts now, so don't act taken aback when I respond with the same accusation, even though it may have been more direct and to the point than your approach. By the way, it was fruit basket, don't misquote me. :wink:

It was better than Fallout: Tactics by a long shot.

Strongly disagree, but they were both weak games anyway.

Oh? And how would you know that? Market sampling? Forum analysis? Polls? Unlike you, Bioware and Obsidian have both conducted the aforementioned research. Last I checked, Bioware's conclusion was that the vast majority of people played a game once and never looked back, thus validating their philosophy of making a "tight" single-run plot.

Marketing trends. Show me where BioWare concluded and publically stated that. Why would they still allow evil/good paths(however shallow) through their games if that's the case?

On the contraire, JRPGs are exactly that, and they are among the best selling RPGs of this day and age (the other consist of MMORPGs). OTOH, the only best-selling non-linear single-player RPG I'm aware of is Oblivion (and Gothic if you count the Euro scene), and I beg to differ if you intend to offer it up as the example of a great game.

Japanese RPGs sell in droves because they usually have high production values and a great amount of attention to detail in all aspects of them; more quality than you can get in an 18 month development cycle. The main market for them is also in Japan, they haven't been doing so good in the West in recent years. Actually, most JRPGs fall falt on their face in the West, with a few exceptions like the Final Fantasies which is now a recognizable license.

Even if they were setting their sights primarily on the Japanese market by cranking out shoddy, linear console RPGs, Obsidian would be highly unlikely to make an impression with a rushed game and without a significant switch in style.

You seem to have a stigma against re-use of technology. I am of the opposite mind: technology should be re-used whenever possible. Game development is, as you say, expensive - and it will only get more expensive, until the only developers capable of making those successful, high-quality, memorable retail games will be the likes of EA and Blizzard.

I do not mind it for new studios that are trying to get off the ground, but eventually to progress and be successful, developers need to start utilizing their own tech, art resources, combat and rules systems, etc.. If a developer is just going to slap on a story and a few other minor, unique, elements on someone elses game, then the game shouldn't be full price as far as I'm concerned, and most other people will see through that and stop buying those kinds of games at full price as well.

Developers get money from publishers, they often don't fund their own projects.

As long as consumers are not willing to shell out $100+ dollars for a game, business sense dictates that to develop financially successful, AAA games you must do one of two things: appeal to a massive player base, or reuse existing technology. Personally, I'd prefer the latter if it means that I'd get games tailored to my more eccentric interests. Obsidian, right now, is trying to do both. But I'd really challenge anyone who claims that KOTOR 2 succeeded in mass appeal; the game's style is uniquely BIS, and thus clique.

That's true. There's a difference between using another developers engine and borrowing heavily from someone elses game though.

Even though I mildly enjoyed the first one, I still haven't bought KOTOR 2, for the same reasons I've gone into in this thread: I'm done buying rushed, hand-me-downs for full price. It doesn't help that I loathed the combat and many other aspects of the original and don't wanna go through them again. Company loyalty and interest aside, a developer has to do more then rush out a new story onto another developers game if they want my money.

Like how EA is capable of pushing out the same crap every year and make a killing doing it?

Look at the fucking scale of the licenses they employ though. The NBA, NFL, NHL? Those aren't even comparable to regular game licenses like D&D. People with barely a passing interest in video games, especially a nichey genre like RPGs will pick those up. EA does add to each of their releases of those kind of franchises too though. Improved graphics, animations, gameplay features, gameplay modes, rosters, and the like. There's only so much you can do with sports games, but by their nature they're the kind of thing that can sell merely on updates.

IWD 2, Dark Alliance 2, and Fallout: BOS were subpar games done on outdated engines. At the time IWD was released, the IE was hardly outdated, which is one reason why it was financially successful. Tellingly, NWN 2 is not re-using NWN's engine, which should say something about Obsidian's differences (arguably, KOTOR 2 was IWD 2 done "right" - ie utilizing a popular license, with a fast development cycle, to catch the sequelitis boat before people forgot about the original; if Obsidian made KOTOR 3, I'd fully expect them to use a new engine). Clearly, the BIS folks have learned from their mistakes.

Do you not think part of the reason they were sub-par was because they were rushed games? Maybe they have learned their lesson, that's what I'm hoping, but Feargus often implies otherwise in interviews.

Feargus's claim that he would've "loved" to make a Fallout MMO makes me think that he is well aware of the benefits accrued from a significant undertaking. At the same time, companies that engage in such undertakings are rather rare and are usually possessed of vast financial resources. I do not believe Obsidian is capable of engaging in such a pursuit, especially given the traditional technical problems this particular team has demonstrated in the past (see: TORN). Without a dramatic expansion of the company, Obsidian *will*, indeed, be a re-use heavy developer. But why is that a bad thing? You're looking at this from the perspective of a gamer looking for the Next Big Thing(tm). Try to see it from the perspective of job security: would Obsidian rather produce relatively "good" games to satisfy a CRPG drought (there's certainly such a demand, given that even ToEE managed to sell reasonably) or risk it all, at this point in the developers' lifetimes (ie Sawyer, MCA, et. all are not "young" anymore), for a title that could bomb and waste 3-4 years of development time/resources?

They landed sequels to two of the best-selling games in CRPG history, a start-up doesn't get much luckier than that in terms of finances. One would hope they'd take that gift and put it to good use by producing their own, high-quality games.

I do completely understand the issue of job-security, many of Obsidian's employees are from failed studios after all, and that's mainly why I'd like to see them be successful and reach Blizzard or BioWare status. They'll never do that by sticking to the same generic, cash-cow approach that BIS took towards the end though. In fact, I'd argue--as I have been all along in this thread--that they'll be lucky to survive past a few fast releases by sticking to that model. Maybe I'm wrong, but going by history of the industry, I don't think so.

Remember old RPG games like Ultima and M&M? We complain about sequelitis today, but how many sequels did those games have, ultimately? And how long did they sustain their respective companies?

The market is a lot different than it is now. A game can't sell merely a hundred thousand units and keep a company afloat anymore. I'm glad you mentioned those studios though, as they're a perfect example of how churning out half-cocked sequels with fast development cycles will lead to an inevitable demise in todays market. As far as I remember, Ultima IX sold for shit and I don't even remember hearing much about the last non-heroes M&M game, except that it was pretty much the same as it's predecessor, only you character was some gothy lookin' kook.

EDIT: And to be honest, think about a game developer's own interests. Feargus expressed a line that, in my mind, was rather salient: you only learn once per game development cycle. I don't think he's talking about learning in the sense of better writing, better design, or whatnot, but rather a better gauging of *consumer* desires. If you push out a game once every four years, that's the only time when you'll really get feedback as to whether your game matches the market. OTOH, smaller releases over time gives you the opportunity to perfect your craft. This is actually accurate from a software engineering point of view, which stresses the flexibility of an iterative development model.

Best point you have made so far, though I'm not sure that was really his meaning. This is an industry of risks though, I just do not see a small development studio being financially successful by trying to play it so safe, especially when the quality of your products is going to suffer for it.

Voss

Erudite
Llyranor said:
I'm not too concerned about NWN2 being rushed this time around, at least story-wise. As pointed out in one of the interviews, the story/writing is done, so it's polishing until Q3. If anything, that at least spells a finished product on that end.

I hate to pop your naiviete cherry, but 'Done' doesn't imply good, spent a lot of time/resources on, or anything positive. All it means is they aren't working on it anymore. They could have rushed through a short writing cycle and moved resources to graphics and cludging patches for the original engine (as well as trying to tie Electron into it in place of Aurora).

When it gets right to it, nothing Obsidian has done (and little various folks did at the tail end of BIS) inspires me to optism on the quality CRPG front. This industry (and its consumers) have made it very clear that sales and quality are completely disassociated concepts. Sadly, I'm very certain that it won't be another Torment.

tilting_msh

Formerly Judas
Patron
Codex 2012
Sol Invictus said:
With the exception of Bloodlines, Troika created their games from scratch, Obsidian basically only had to make a professional mod of an exsisting game. The fact is, when a company gets in the habit of trying to rush a game, the quality of it is bound to suffer.
Temple of Elemental Evil was based on the module of the same name by Gary Gygax and was set within D&D 3.5e. I'd hardly call that creating a game from scratch, especially considering how they followed the module to the letter. They didn't exactly innovate the storyline.
Not too mention that I'm pretty sure the ToEE engine was built off of the Arcanum engine, so to say ToEE was created "from scratch" is absurd.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"kotor 2 > kotor"

Only an idiot thinks that.

And, Grom, you are wrong one thing though. You really overrate IWD's writing. It was *good* for a dungeon crawl; but that's about it. Certainly not as good as BG's writing (even if BG's writing isn't the best ever).

Anyways, bottom line is, NWN2 is gonna do well; gonna be great because any game that is a sequel to the BEST GAME EVAR has to be!

MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom