Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Feargus Urquhart feargs out at Red Bull Games, reveals Obsidian turned down Game of Thrones RPG

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Ideals and pipe dreams are all well and good

It wasn't "ideals and dreams" that got them close to bankruptcy though. Dungeon Siege and South Trash aren't quite targeted at the hardcore RPG audience, are they? and then a cancelled Alienfag game whose alpha footage reminds me a bit too much of the horribly shitty AP combat.

Obsidian always played it safe and this the the reason why they are still in business, unlike Troika.

Troika was mismanaged and died for fucking good reasons. Arcanum was a reasonable, while highly flawed, attempt at doing something ambitious, and people would have had a point bringing up Troika in these debates if all their games were like that, but the other two games? ToEE is literally a case of "no one asked for this" (a straight out port of a boring and super old p&p module? oh, great. It might have the best d&d3 engine but an engine doesn't make a game.) and thus no one bought this, while they made the batshit insane decision of picking an unfinished engine for bloodlines and ended up having to release the game before the engine was even truly finished and battle tested by its original developer, Valve. Bloodlines had some ambition in itself but their design decisions really took the cake.
They were a small studio and suddenly decided to work on a fully 3D, voice acted, lip synced game with a ton of unique 3d models while using an untested, unfinished engine. None of these things are what the core audience of Troika was really asking for but it sure did end up ruining them while they were building up their last game, being told to rush the fucker after 3 years of intense development. The wishes of the RPG audience aren't what killed Troika, Troika just did seppuku by themselves.

Remember, they did a full voice acted game with bloodlines just two years after the release of Morrowind, a highly successful game that had almost no VA. They blew their budget on irrelevant crap and paid for it. The idea that Troika died only because it catered to more niche RPG audiences is just one potential part of the story. They were so badly managed that even if they had tried very hard to cater to the largest audience possible they would have still crashed and burned, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
I would sell my soul for a Dune or Hyboria rpg.

The only original setting that surprised me recently was sunless sea, shit game, but damn, the vague writing and exploring that world is great, its the perfect week tea game before bed. A quick expedition to iron republic...

Also how the hell do I brofist? Sorry for being new.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Troika didn't go out of business because their games didn't make money. Any speculation on the codex for why a company did is likely wrong

Weasel
I was reading this 2005 thread recently, where Tim Cain posts here about Troika closing:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/troika-games-no-longer-exists.10525/

Couldn't help chuckling at this (prophetic?) comment:

just dont join Obsidian

Obsidian is like a cRPG cancer or something, absorbs all the good thats left in the genre and turns it into shit.

I'm sure they'd have you doing 'lite designing' in no time.

Does the PoE stronghold count as "lite designing" though?

:martini:

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
He did worse than joining obsidian after Troika closed. He joined a MMO studio. As bad as obsidian games are, they're still not quite on that level of degeneracy. The only way he could've done worse is doing mobile shit like quite a few RPG veterans did. MMOs and mobile games are where veteran souls go to die.

Suicidal

Arcane
I feel Bioware is more suited for making a GoT rpg since edgy writing and tasteless sex scenes have been their specialty as of late. Dragon Age might have as well be named "I want to be Game of Thrones".

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I feel Bioware is more suited for making a GoT rpg since edgy writing and tasteless sex scenes have been their specialty as of late. Dragon Age might have as well be named "I want to be Game of Thrones".
It pretty much was. They said in marketing it was huge inspiration and the whole Grey Warden thing was obviously ripped straight out the books.

Johannes

Arcane
Skimmed through the interview, and in the GoT game part it says they were talking about it eight years ago. P. huge difference to consider a game in that setting before the show came out, compared to now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom