Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Feargus Urquhart talks about Obsidian's plans, says next Kickstarter delayed to early fall

dukeofwhales

Cipher
Did they [Telltale] ever actually have the adventure game elements in the first place though? They seem to have always targeted a story-heavy gameplay style.
the bone and sam and max games were traditional point and click games that were mediocre at best as evidenced by the fact that you don't even know about them.

Nah I knew about them. Didn't play them though but have played several others which were all pretty much identical games with a substituted milieu

My point was more that they keep a set style and pick up fans over time meaning each release sells more, rather than going full mainstream to get more sales. Admittedly I don't know exactly how you'd go more mainstream than Telltale and stay within the point and click genre.
your point is bullshit. as athelas pointed out telltale are the very embodiment of steamlining for mass appeal. i can even hazard a guess that you will find evidence of streamlining for more appeal in their own brand of interactive qte movies if you compare walking dead season 1 to wolf among us and season 2, but i'd have to play that shit to know for sure.

fair enough, can't argue with that

Nik_man

Barely Literate
Good choice to delay a new kickstart.
Because NO MORE MONEY for them until they prove they can deliver what they have been already payed for.
And of course, i don't meen the way WL2 is delivered.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Nah, that's all Fergie.
Of course, because Feargie wants to make some big bucks. Sykrim truly is a shitty game, but it sold well.

I just like to blame Sawyer.

:balance: Sawyer really is a Skyrim fag though.:hearnoevil:
So is Urquhart, he spent over 40 hours playing it.

Why would they, months before the actual KS?

Well, it's not too early to start searching for registered trademarks! Roguey
This wouldn't help. Project Eternity wasn't trademarked until 2013 (and it was abandoned a few months ago) and PoE still isn't trademarked.

imweasel

Nah, that's all Fergie.
Of course, because Feargie wants to make some big bucks. Sykrim truly is a shitty game, but it sold well.

I just like to blame Sawyer.

:balance: Sawyer really is a Skyrim fag though.:hearnoevil:
So is Urquhart, he spent over 40 hours playing it.
Naw, he was just playing it to see what all the fuss is about. I'm sure he knows that Skyrim is a shit game.

And now you're gonna post a link to prove me wrong...

imweasel

If you want to look at the RPGS he played just to try them out, look at the ones with just single-digit hours.
Skyrim (42 hrs on record)

aaaand *drum roll please*

Fallout: New Vegas (0 hrs on record)

:lol:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
A lot of developers find it difficult to play their own games after playtesting them during development. He has no hours in DS3, NWN2, South Park, or kotor2 either.

imweasel

*shrug*

Maybe he needs inspiration for the elaborate stealth mechanics in PoE.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How... do you play Hitman for so long?
I replayed Blood Money recently and I still found it fantastic. It's one of the finest stealth games ever crafted. Too bad it took those ridiculous Danes three games to get there and they threw it all away with 5hitman, but that's Europeans for you.

Shevek

Arcane
I'd like to see Obsidian make a deal with a smaller tabletop RPG property rather than Star Wars for a space themed rpg. They would probably have more creative freedom while still having a strong foundation to work from. For example, the Savage Worlds ruleset has plenty of cool space settings. A pulpy setting like Slipstream or something like MARS might be cool.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd like to see Obsidian make a deal with a smaller tabletop RPG property rather than Star Wars for a space themed rpg. They would probably have more creative freedom while still having a strong foundation to work from. For example, the Savage Worlds ruleset has plenty of cool space settings. A pulpy setting like Slipstream or something like MARS might be cool.
I don't necessarily disagree with you (even though I still enjoy the SW universe) but those properties would just not come near the amount of PR and exposure that working on a new KotOR would generate. Feargus is way to much a business guy to not want the excitement/ hype/ press/ etc. that Star Wars would bring for free.

Shevek

Arcane
Ya, but how much of a piece of the pie would they get when working with a property like SW?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And now you're gonna post a link to prove me wrong...
Of course.
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197970532356/games?tab=all
42 hours, his most-played RPG. :M

If you want to look at the RPGS he played just to try them out, look at the ones with just single-digit hours.
How does one get 61 hours in Portal 2?

Multiplayer. Or leaving the game on for a long time without actually playing it.

Keep in mind that Feargus has children so it could be that he's not the only one using that account.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have $1000 ready. We'll see how much of that I actually decide to back with. Also, by the time the next kickstarter campaign launches, we should have seen more Eternity footage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom