Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix FF6 Re-balance Mod "FFVI: Is the Best Game Ever"

FinalFantasy35252.png

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/707/

Hey y'all I'mma let you finish but I just gotta say I consider FF6 TO HAVE THE GREATEST STORY OF ALL TIME. And by all time I mean it's actually really deep if you let it grab you. I've been updating my mod for it over the 2 years it's been released and finally uploaded the version I've been playing with.

It looks to me to be the best mod for it out there, but the competition isn't so hot (Pandora's Box excluded).

Just thought you guys should know.

5382147979_b92665cb61.jpg

FinalFantasy3_00021.jpg

Umm, Whisky...just because sprint shoes were removed, doesn't mean other items don't give you their abilities....Sprint shoes were easily one of the dumbest relics ever made.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So, you've turned FF6 into more of a grindfest ?

Well, at least THE GREATEST STORY OF ALL TIME is still intact...

:nocountryforshitposters:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So, time for another "Balance VS Fun" debate war? Should we change the title to "Grape_You_In_the_Mouth WANST TO END FUN です!" ?

Slow/Haste effects have been doubled. Reflect is now much more powerful, and does not go away with time, and hard to remove.

Jesus. It's one thing to rape the game's difficulty, but this...this is just disgusting. The poor thing will walk bow-legged from now on.

Umm, Whisky...just because sprint shoes were removed, doesn't mean other items don't give you their abilities....Sprint shoes were easily one of the dumbest relics ever made.

Yeah. Don't make the player choose between less tedium and useful stuff, just give me the damn run button to begin with.

So, you've turned FF6 into more of a grindfest ?

It wasn't a grindfest to begin with, the game's problem is the opposite - it is too easy because your party is made of overpowered fuckers.

edit: though the hack might have gone too far.

Reviewed By:
Hrith
on 07 Feb 2011
Complete crap. I’m not belittling the amout of WORK that has been put into this, but the result is dreadful.
This hack turns an amazing game into a tedious grindfest.
When regular monsters deal damage equal to four times the amount of HP of your best character, you can always say ‘well, I can flee the battle’. But what about bosses dealing up to ten times this amount, then? And by these, I mean the first bosses of the World of Balance.
This ROM hack does not increase difficulty; having to grind up to ten levels does not increase the difficulty of the game, it just kills any point of playing it.
As much as the people behind this ROM hack have completely overhauled the game system, they also completely forgot to make it fun to play.

TigerKnee

Arcane
If you want a more interesting "Hard Mode" mod for FF6, play Eviltype instead.

Actually TigerKnee, this was made from Eviltype as a base, as stated in the readme. I found EvilType to be a complete miss based on the what was capable, but editing FF6 also became easier over time so maybe it was a time issue.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
:necro:

I was thinking of replaying FF6 and I have a question for people who have played rom hacks for it.

Is there something fairly low-key that would make things slightly more difficult and balanced and preferably fixes some bugs too? I think the game is a a bit too easy but I don't want any typical modder shit that ruins the game by tweaking and changing absolutely everything, "improves" bosses with gimmicks & extreme stat bloat and fills the game with embarrassing new content. I don't mind some tweaking and rebalancing of items and abilities as long as it doesn't go overboard.

The thing is, most people who love romhacks (not my favorite type of people btw) love easy difficulty and bad jokes, so maybe that's why the Brave New World is a huge hit (although the jokes aren't as bad as usual ROMhacks and it genuinely does some impressive code changes). Brave New World is the gold standard for a newbie or someone who loves ChronoTrigger silly-ness. At least 80% of people who want to play FF6 should play that version.

For the other 20% of players, there's eviltype, which has some serious problems with difficulty at the end. And it still doesn't do much with items or spells or anything. Someone also has actually taken my mod and made it better and easier, called Returner Scum's FF6 I believe. It's easy if you know the game and how to choose items and abilities, but for a normal person it's difficult. My version is still probably the hardest and a bit too grindy at some parts (if I remember right...it's been a while).

I'd recommend Returner Scum's FF6, which comes with easy-to-use reference guides---much more elegant than what I had time for.

Returner Scum's mod (You have to "Save Link As):
http://www.bwass.org/bucket/FF6RSv99.rar

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I don't see why the kind of people that think you need to grind to get through a jrpg are playing difficulty hacks to begin with. They're clearly made for people that understand the game well and can handle more restrictions. Don't go bitching about fairness in a game you don't know how to play.

Well the problem is, I didn't consider my version to be that difficult, but when you consider that I made it, and that FF6 is actually quite opaque in it's combat mechanics (entire FAQ's have been made just on the algorithms which are otherwise unknown), then I think it's understandable for a smart person to be displeased. Just consider how negative effects aren't seen on monsters---you only see if it misses, not what's already on a monster or if the monster is succeptible to the effect or not.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Pretty sure the Scan spell revealed what status effects a monster has, and it works even on bosses. Sure, there were some things that were rather esoteric about the combat, like the effect of Vanish on magic, or some of the weird lore/rage/sketch effects, but the basic system was pretty obvious. You don't need to see the algorithms to know how useful various stats are for example- you can just alter those stats with equipment and note the difference or lack thereof. You can easily tell if a status effect worked on an enemy because that's the only other result besides missing or healing it. You don't need a walkthrough to figure out what the float status does or to notice the giant lightsabre ignores armour and gets better with more hp.

You can get away with that in the normal game but not a version that is pushing the limits and trying to expand the trade-offs available to you. Even in the normal game, just think about how evade is out of 128 instead of 100%, and it doesn't even work at all. That's pretty frustrating to a newbie and not at all intuitive. Then think about your fire 2 spell --- how effective is it going to be vs monsters, who might or might not have 64/128/168 defense, weakness or immunity to fire, and you could instead attack them all with a sword that uses both your hands, randomly casts a spell, constantly berserks you, but misses 15% of the time without including monster evasion, which you have no idea of knowing what that is. How effective are those two attack options going to be over time? Different equations are used but the esper level up bonuses are the same. The attack power of spells is also never listed anywhere in the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom