Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FFG's Star Wars RPG

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
That's p. nice for playing via internet.

Andhaira

Arcane
The primary reason for the spec dice is indeed to prevent/reduce piracy, I am sorry to inform you. The system used here was initially used by FuckFuckGames with Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd edition, which they totally and utterly fucked up. They discontinued an excellent rpg system, Black Industries wfrp 2e and introduced their abomination of a system. The line failed and closed down (thankfully, hopefully they will move back to the older system eventually or at least a derivative of the one used in WH40k, which also was initially developed by Black Industries btw)

This is what you needed to have on the table to play wfrp 3.0:

wfrpplaysession.jpg

All their lines are cash grabs, and they keep fucking up. Like the WH40k v.2 fiasco. Though I do admit their art is gorgeous, and their rule-books are meaty (though too meaty for me, it's a chore to read them)

Anyhow for SW RPG they used the same system but toned down the accessories quite a bit. Still, the spec. dice are annoying. And no using regular dice with tables does not work as well, and there should be no need for it. Finally the system itself has issues; the dice keep presseruzing the GM and Players to feel they keep having to add complications to their rolls. Fucking hell all I want to do is see if i can spot something, now I have to add in a fuck ton more of additional info I don't give a shit about because my dice gave me more successes/failiures or whatever?

Finally to emulate playing a Jedi you have to start off with a fuckton of experience, and even then it ends up being wonky, from what I read on the FFG forums.

Still I would love a SW rpg by them using the WH40K v1 or 2 ruleset. Though Saga edition revised under Rodney Thompson would be better; at least he will produce a real SW rpg.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Andhaira, you act like I'm an idiot when it comes to FFG. I'm not and I contributed a lot to Warhammer 40K Dark Heresy with a couple of fan supplements. One was written wholly by myself and the other was done with a full team. You're claim about the dice is meritless since FFG gives away a free dice rolling app for Android OS.

You're relying upon the words of people that are biased and have no experience with the system. Hmm maybe I would take your opinion seriously if you had actual experience with the system. I'd rather want a narrativist game since I spent decades playing simulation games. It is a different want that is there. Yes, I have been playing pen and paper RPGs a lot longer than you've been alive and I've played almost all of the major systems, including D&D up till 3.5E. I don't want to play D&D in Space which means no levels and no d20. You see I prefer systems that utilize a bell curve instead of a linear system. The reason why is that a bell curve has more consistency over a linear system because it has more dice. The dice favor the players. A linear system like D20 means that no matter the number the same percentage chance to hit that number is the same. In the case of a D20 it's 5%. On a bell curve like 3D6, it's variable between 16% to 55% roughly on a given number. Numbers like 9-12 are more likely to appear than say a 3 or an 18.

As far as Saga, sorry but it's D&D in Space and the same problems that happen with D&D occurred with SW Saga. The only game that even came close to the full Star Wars experience, that I've played, has been WEG Star Wars. It had zero levels and it was very simple to learn and run, but ran into problems at high level of play.

Last edited:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
With all the arguing out of way, anyone up for running a game of two beginning force users? Frank and I made it easy to run them since they're twin brothers that were adopted by a member of Incom's board of directors. Here's Sneake my character.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Chiss Jedi huh. Damn race traitor.

Chiss had to turn over force sensitives to the Sith way back in the Old Republic days when the Sith ruled the galaxy. However, there is a canon Chiss Jedi in the Clone Wars TV show. He only became a Jedi because he was found floating in space and was adopted.

Fairfax

Arcane
Ran a few Force and Destiny sessions after a 5E campaign and was definitely surprised.
Overall impressions:

+I liked the straightforward combat. 1 of the players was new to PNP and he got the hang of it pretty quickly. It's also really flexible and has plenty of room for context-based actions that can change the battle, and without taking too many turns in the process.
+The custom dice aren't there to rip people off as I'd assumed (conversion table and all that), they're actually very good considering the game's mechanics (advantages, success, failures, etc). There are many apps to roll the dice, so it's not like you have to spend money either.
+Book is very detailed, with a long history section and great art.
+The encounters don't take as long as 3.5E (or 4E lol), so that's great in my book.
- The adventures they included are pretty boring. Not that I like using these in the first place, but the players wanted to give it a shot because it was designed as "learn as you play". In that regard it worked, I guess.
- Poor encounter scaling. In one of the sessions, I picked a stronger enemy from the rulebook to knock them all out and the encounter turned into a stalemate: the players fighting it were much weaker in theory, but they had enough Parry, Heal, Dodge, Strain recovery, etc to sustain its attacks forever. When attacking, however, they could barely hit it. It's fine that players can't do a lot of damage to a much stronger enemy, it's what should be expected, but they shouldn't be able to "tank" it forever either.

Fairfax

Arcane
How are you going to play it, Roll20? I could join as a player, sure.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
How are you going to play it, Roll20? I could join as a player, sure.

We're using Google Hangouts because it has the die roller and the GM is using Obsidian Portal for his notes etc...

We do need a gunner for the YV-560 light freighter lol.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've got a group of 4 who basically have no tabletop experience. I took their character ideas and generated a crew of low lifes for Edge of the Empire. They're picking up the basic mechanics fairly easily as I dole them out a bit at a time so they're not overwhelmed. There are also some nice printable handouts online re: dice and mechanics for the group since we only have one set of books.

I like the ability to interpret die rolls and outcomes as well as treating minions as either individuals or blobs. I'm still figuring out some rule nuances, but it hasn't stopped us from having two short (~3-4 hour) sessions so far where everyone had fun and actual progress has been made. For comparison, I once played Champions at a Con and it took 2 hours to get through one round of combat.

There are certain things I prefer about WEG but I like that wookiees aren't invincible death machines and have been enjoying the system and balance while still being "cinematic" as appropriate.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
The guy that is going to GM for us is one of my players from my Mad Max Atomic Highway game. We showed him our characters and he loved the depth to the character histories since it gives him a lot to work with. He's calling the campaign A Twin's Tale. :lol: He's starting the game shortly after A New Hope and he even agreed to alter the morality system a bit to fit with the Je'daii principle of balance vs unbalance. The paragon of light has become the paragon of balance while the dark side end of the scale represents those that stick with one side of the force. This way Je'daii get the bonuses for falling and for maintaining their inner balance.

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
We're using Google Hangouts because it has the die roller and the GM is using Obsidian Portal for his notes etc...

We do need a gunner for the YV-560 light freighter lol.
PM me the details, I think I'll give it a try (hopefully my accent won't bother the group too much).
I've got a group of 4 who basically have no tabletop experience. I took their character ideas and generated a crew of low lifes for Edge of the Empire. They're picking up the basic mechanics fairly easily as I dole them out a bit at a time so they're not overwhelmed. There are also some nice printable handouts online re: dice and mechanics for the group since we only have one set of books.

I like the ability to interpret die rolls and outcomes as well as treating minions as either individuals or blobs. I'm still figuring out some rule nuances, but it hasn't stopped us from having two short (~3-4 hour) sessions so far where everyone had fun and actual progress has been made. For comparison, I once played Champions at a Con and it took 2 hours to get through one round of combat.

There are certain things I prefer about WEG but I like that wookiees aren't invincible death machines and have been enjoying the system and balance while still being "cinematic" as appropriate.
Yeah, the beginner book actually teaches both GM and players as you go along, and it worked out fine. It doesn't mention all of the rules, of course, but it gives everyone a basic understanding.
Champions is a waste of time IMO, as is any game that takes so long. I guess it works for games where the GM is out to kill the players and people have to be on edge all the time, but I think that approach sucks.

The combat is flexible enough that at one point I ditched the turn-based system almost entirely and it was just one turn for the heroes and one of the enemies (made sense in the context).
It's fairly balanced, but I think the Seeker is a bit OP in the early game. With 15xp you get Dodge and Parry. They use strain, but that's very easy to recover: Cool/Discipline check after every encounter, then a Medicine check by the party's healer/character with more Medicine ranks, and resting recovers all of it.
With 5xp the Seeker also gets Sense - Control, which allows you to commit a Force die to increase the difficulty of one attack against you once per turn.
Example: enemy attempts a melee attack against a Seeker with these upgrades; it'd get 4 difficulty dice at the cost of 1 strain (Dodge rank 1), and even if the Seeker's hit, it can spend 3 strain to reduce the damage by 3.

Next session I'll make sure to knock the rest out and put the Seeker against a tough opponent to see how it holds up against tougher adversaries.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Is there a way to spectate games on Roll20?

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Oh my bad, missed the part where you said you're going to play on Google Hangouts. :oops:

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I was expecting fat transgendered jedi or something. That isn't bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom