Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FIELD OF GLORY: KINGDOMS!!

Beowulf

Arcane
How are sieges and chevauchées (ie, lare raiding operations) handled? I suppose you can't play them in FOG2:Medieval, right?

You can only play field battles. Which is a pity, as there are more complex scenarios available in FoG2. But I guess getting the balance right when transporting the game state wasn't that easy. Or FoG2 wasn't flexible enough to easily generated other scenarios than field battles.

thesecret1

Arcane
How are sieges and chevauchées (ie, lare raiding operations) handled? I suppose you can't play them in FOG2:Medieval, right?
I'm not sure how raiding works, I've only been the target, never the raider, in which case there was no battle – instead the game rolled a dice against the local defenses in the raided region and used the result for whether the raid succeeded or failed. Successful defense against a raid gives you 2 authority, by the way, and I made sure to exploit that fact to the fullest.

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I played around 60 turns hoping to stop crumbling, manage to get total authority over 50 and was hit by a "sedition from nobility" modifier, that made me gain only 0.3 authority per turn. My nobility is pissed off that we are doing better? You can't win lol. I'm still in the red and keep getting those bad tokkens with no hope of raising it, while my economy is excellent. Also as a vassal you can't declare war on other vassalas, which makes zero sense and other countries claims on your land reduce your authority. :MEven devs themselves now admitting it's too much lol:

1718226419888.png

sser

Arcane
Developer
Anti-snowballing design has to be walked like a tightrope. I think he'll figure it out. Empires had the best iteration of that stuff I've ever seen; I think only Old World comes close, though it's more in the 4x territory.

thesecret1

Arcane
I played around 60 turns hoping to stop crumbling, manage to get total authority over 50 and was hit by a "sedition from nobility" modifier, that made me gain only 0.3 authority per turn. My nobility is pissed off that we are doing better? You can't win lol. I'm still in the red and keep getting those bad tokkens with no hope of raising it, while my economy is excellent. Also as a vassal you can't declare war on other vassalas, which makes zero sense and other countries claims on your land reduce your authority. :MEven devs themselves now admitting it's too much lol:

View attachment 50928
You only get a chance to get progress tokens once you hit 60 authority, not before. Sedition from nobility is tied to your authority level – the higher it gets (above 50) the higher the mallus. The way to beat the system (and sit at stable 100 authority) is to build authority-raising buildings. Late game it's not a problem to get +7 authority each turn just from buildings. To prevent neighbors from raising claims on you, send them gifts to make them like you more. Also pro tip: if you're in deep shit in the tokens, just let it happen and let it fall all the way to the bottom. It'll spark a civil war, which is unfortunate, but also reset you back to stable and with 0 tokens. It's much faster to win a civil war than to revert all the decline.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Chevauchees are a long running series of raids aren't they? You can't represent that in one battle or turn really.

Beowulf

Arcane
Chevauchees are a long running series of raids aren't they? You can't represent that in one battle or turn really.
But you can issue Raid orders to your stacks, that will, well, raid an enemy region

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Right, it is very hard to represent (and I don't know of any board game that managed to do so. Maybe the Levy and Campaign series?). The whole chevauchée of Gaunt was Gaunt trying to plunder France (from Norht to South West) while the French army shadowed him and occasilonnally engaged small groups in skirmishes to whittle it down and deny its raiding opportunities, but something simple like Raiding/counter raiding and trying to force a large battle would do.

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The more I play it, the more I don't like it. Feels like the devs were so transfixed implementing antiblobing, that they forgot to develop the rest of the game. The entire game seems to revolve around authority. Nothing else matters. Resources don't matter and neither money, since they are so easy to obtain even playing for some shitty tiny nation. Playing as a vassal is kinda pointless as you can't declare war on other vassals. In general the diplomatic options are very limited. They are no better, than in Empires. Not sure why all those characters were included in the game. The interaction seems to be limited to appoint someone as a governor and arrange royal marriage. Maybe in the future they will improve this, but so far there is very little value here, at least for me. If you want to play for POP mechanics and resources, just play Victoria 2, for characters CK2, for battles FOG Medieval. :M

To prevent neighbors from raising claims on you, send them gifts to make them like you more.
Makes zero sense, that neighbours having claims reduce your authority. It would only make sense if it was previously owned by this neighbour, so you could argue, that there is still some loyal nobility left. But if it's a complete foreigner? Why would anyone care?

Harthwain

Magister
Makes zero sense, that neighbours having claims reduce your authority. It would only make sense if it was previously owned by this neighbour, so you could argue, that there is still some loyal nobility left. But if it's a complete foreigner? Why would anyone care?
There is no authority cost if neighbours with claims are allies, vassals or you have positive relations with them. My guess this is supposed to model frictions between potentially rival states and encourages you to build relationships with them.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Are naval powers worth playing? I had the most fun playing Athens in FoG:E. I'm launching my first game, and it is weird to have the HRE as a single faction, but it would be hard to make it work as a collection of semi-unified principalties.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Anyone want a -33% coupon from Fanatical for this?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom