Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info First Aliens RPG Leaked Footage

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Waiting for my BRO'S opinion.

Kron

Arcane
God, that looked awful. A true RPG.

What was Obsidian thinking about?
Mass Effect one might think.

Thank the gods this game will never see the light of day.

sheek

Arbiter
Hoaxmetal said:
First time I actually see/read about Aliens RPG. I don't see what the fuss was about it being canceled, looks meh. Alien movie fanboys?
Yes. Aliens is a stupid 'universe'/sci-fi film, and this looks like a stupid game.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
What makes me laugh, is people judging a very very early Alpha build of a game and calling it shit.

Let's judge Age of Decadence (Which will be the greatest RPG OF ALL TEIM!) on it's alpha builds. Shit, banal, boring!

r00fles!

kris

Arcane
Mortmal said:
Sounds really like mass effect, but we have not seen much. Looks another shooter survival horror game with as much rpg in it than water in my whisky. i would have buy it still its unpolished and look a bit bland but the the very last seconds of the video show potential.

It is more than 99% water in your whisky, bro.

sheek

Arbiter
Jaesun said:
What makes me laugh, is people judging a very very early Alpha build of a game and calling it shit.

Let's judge Age of Decadence (Which will be the greatest RPG OF ALL TEIM!) on it's alpha builds. Shit, banal, boring!

r00fles!
We have precedence to go on. Ie, 10+ previous Bioware/Obsidian games.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
sheek said:
Jaesun said:

r00fles!
We have precedence to go on. Ie, 10+ previous Bioware/Obsidian games.

Now that's at least a little more logical, ie:
"I don't trust Obsidian because I haven't liked their games in the past"

What's not logical is:
"See, see, see I told you it was gonna be shit and that minute and a half clip definitely proves it beyond any shadow of a doubt, because it's obviously reasonable to assume from that, that it was totally linear, its writing was banal, its system shit, and its characters boring"

sheek

Arbiter
I just don't see how the Aliens setting could be interesting in an RPG. Aliens is mostly about average people running away screaming and sometimes shooting things (when you're trapped).

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
I can, in principle at least. If you total the amount of time, in the first two alien films, that is spent with people actively being attacked by the alien(s), and compare it to the total amount of time in which the surviving humans all argue about what is the best way to proceed to ensure best chance of survival, your answer is pretty much there. In a similar way to the principals that seem to sit behind Doublebear's ZombieRPG, the aliens are simply a force of nature that drives the humans into an extreme situation, and generates interparty conflict.

Of course, that's a very long way from a successful modern, big-budget AAA RPG, with such expectations as tons of loot, tons of combat, stating out a useless and ending a god, romance, bromance, and a huge array of bad guys ranging in strength from rat to dragon. I was certainly sceptical they could pull it off, but I could really see the potential for an interesting, if untraditional, RPG.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Jaesun said:

YOU CAN'T CALL IT SHIT IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED IT/ PLAYED IT FOR 10 HOURS/ FINISHED IT / BOUGHT IT, IN WHICH CASE YOU CAN'T CALL IT SHIT BECAUSE YOU OBVIOUSLY LIKED IT!!!

Besides, Age of Decadence is shit.

Bluebottle said:
What's not logical is:
"See, see, see I told you it was gonna be shit and that minute and a half clip definitely proves it beyond any shadow of a doubt, because it's obviously reasonable to assume from that, that it was totally linear, its writing was banal, its system shit, and its characters boring"

If it's reasonable to draw conclusions about a game based on a full play-through, it's reasonable to assume that somebody out there is able to draw equally accurate conclusions from 5 hours of in-game experience. If it's reasonable to draw conclusions about a game based on 5 hours of in-game experience, it's reasonable to assume that somebody out there is able to draw equally accurate conclusions from 1 hour of in-game experience. If it's reasonable to draw conclusions about a game based on 1 hour of in-game experience, it's reasonable to assume that somebody out there is able to draw equally accurate conclusions from watching some in-depth game footage. If it's reasonable to draw conclusions from watching some in-depth game footage, it's reasonable to assume that somebody out there is able to draw equally accurate conclusions from watching a trailer. If it's reasonable to draw conclusions from watching a trailer, it's reasonable to assume that somebody out there is able to draw equally accurate conclusions from browsing through a couple of screenshots and reading a few lines of game info.

A good example would be Fallout 3, where everybody of average intelligence individually came to the accurate conclusion that it would be shit, based entirely on the announcement that Bethesda had bought the rights to it.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
If it's reasonable to draw conclusions from watching a trailer, it's reasonable to assume that somebody out there is able to draw equally accurate conclusions from browsing through a couple of screenshots and reading a few lines of game info.

If it's reasonable to draw accurate conclusions from browsing through a couple of screenshots and reading a few lines of game info, it's also reasonable to assume someone is capable of drawing accurate conclusions about a game despite never having heard anything about it.

Some fucked up logic right there.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
St. Toxic said:
A good example would be Fallout 3, where everybody of average intelligence individually came to the accurate conclusion that it would be shit, based entirely on the announcement that Bethesda had bought the rights to it.

That's closer to the first, more reasonable argument; that a person considers a game not worthy of their interest because it's made by someone who doesn't make the kind of games they like. You can make a reasonable guess, but that's all. Of course this is the internet, and the internet is full of hyperbole, so 'not worthy of interest' or a reasonable guess morphs quite naturally into pure, white-hot rage or statements of utter certainty.

St. Toxic

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
it's the logical continuation

VentilatorOfDoom said:

When are you going to let me in on the conversation? :(

Bluebottle said:
That's closer to the first, more reasonable argument; that a person considers a game not worthy of their interest because it's made by someone who doesn't make the kind of games they like.

And what's so illogical about seeing a minute of footage showing off shitty third person shooter SPACE gameplay and coming to the conclusion that what you just saw would not have made a good RPG, NO WAI NO HAU, based on previous experience in that particular field?

Bluebottle said:
You can make a reasonable guess, but that's all.

Guessing is for when you don't have enough to go on. If you see some shit just lying there on the ground, I should hope you know it's shit without having to pick it up, examine it in depth and lastly putting it in your mouth before concluding that, hey, seems it really was shit! If not, hey, it's all subjective anyway right? Nobody knows anything and these are just words and opinions are like assholes and let's all just shut up and kill ourselves.

Bluebottle said:
Of course this is the internet, and the internet is full of hyperbole, so 'not worthy of interest' or a reasonable guess morphs quite naturally into pure, white-hot rage or statements of utter certainty.

It's all the same shit anyway, just presented in different ways. I know I have good taste, and I have full confidence in my own ability to discern between orange juice and cat piss. What reason would I have to present my convictions in the form of timid suggestions veiled in uncertainty? Do I have any doubts about Aliens RPG? No. Do I or should I care if you do? No.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
St. Toxic said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
it's the logical continuation

VentilatorOfDoom said:

When are you going to let me in on the conversation? :(

it's the logical continuation using the same fucked up logic you used. better?

Also it's true that it is enough to know the developer alone to make an assessment whether you're interested in a game or not, but I somehow doubt that your conclusions after having seen a couple of screenshot will be as accurate as if you actually had played the game in question.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
spock-logic-begninning.jpg

St. Toxic

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
it's the logical continuation using the same fucked up logic you used. better?

My logic dictated I stop, but you just kept on going. The whole point was that as long as there was ANY information, with proper analysis you're able to come to an appropriate conclusion. The argument people are throwing around, that 1 minute of footage isn't enough for anything is akin to saying that DNA tests on semen left at the scene of the crime aren't enough to prove that the suspect was there and that there would have to be a face-print on the victim's vagina that matched the suspects face + a message left by the suspect on the wall, in blood, clearly stating that he was there and had some fun, signed with name, social security numbers and the names of two witnesses that were present during the murder-rape.

VentilatorOfDoom said:
Also it's true that it is enough to know the developer alone to make an assessment whether you're interested in a game or not, but I somehow doubt that your conclusions after having seen a couple of screenshot will be as accurate as if you actually had played the game in question.

Somehow I don't doubt. A picture says a thousand words, you just have to know how to read. And I'm sure you consider unbiased reviews a good source of information on whether or not a game has the potential to entertain.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
My logic dictated I stop, but you just kept on going.
ok

Somehow I don't doubt.

ok. In your example there is less and less information available, but the accuracy of judgement stays constant. Weird. Anyway, AoD is shit, Alien RPG would have been shit, I understood. Shit.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
So then, great guru, give us your breakdown of what that video tells us about its RPG elements.

And while we're on obviously stretched analogies, if you're able to make an informed judgement on something based simply on the knowledge that it exists, could you tell me which of the dogs I should adopt, that I went to see at the dog-shelter this morning.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Bluebottle said:
So then, great guru, give us your breakdown of what that video tells us about its RPG elements.

At best it'd mimic SShock 2, get half-way and fall in on itself, but most probably it would fall in on itself first, then expand out of that and you'd get something foblivionesque. Essentially, skills that don't matter or just bug the shit out of you, "acceptable" inventory system but who gives a shit, combat is action oriented but not up to par with an actual action oriented game, run around fetching shit IN SPACE to fix broken circuits IN SPACE though it's quite possible they'd stoop as low as to include switch related puzzles, Bioware dialogue, though I can't be sure it's that bad and the story is glorified fan-fiction. Did I mention that they'd try to comply with all the current NEXT-GENZ standards and actively compete with NEXT-GENZ rpg releases, but fail even on that front of absolute failure? 3/10.

Bluebottle said:
And while we're on obviously stretched analogies, if you're able to make an informed judgement on something based simply on the knowledge that it exists, could you tell me which of the dogs I should adopt, that I went to see at the dog-shelter this morning.

Do you have a minute of alpha footage of this dog-shelter visit or am I simply to assume that it exists? Either way, I'd suggest you adopt a cat.

looked stupe, they might have added some RPG to it but since they hadn't yet, who cares.

The guy walks near the big button(with a big drawing of an arcade-style button EESHK) and pushes. Light goes on.
No good.
should have opened a SKILLS tab and using the hacking one he work the lights. And other skills to change something else. Then i would have regretted cancellation.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Bluebottle said:
Nor would Bloodlines had you you sliced 30 seconds of footage from many of its areas. It's pretty much impossible to tell anything about its potential as an RPG, from that.

No but 2 minutes are more than enough. And they were enough for SEGA to understand that they don't need two Colonial Marines games. And good riddance.

But it always goes with Obsidian fanboi like this:
a) Obsidian didn't show any "RPG" in Aliens "RPG" but gameplay that looks like Kill/Switch-Gears-of-War-Mass-Effect-and-all-other-corridor-console-shooters - oh but the video was too short to tell!
b) Obsidian showed piece of shit 20 minutes long video full of mini-games and nothing but shooting in Alpha Protocol - oh but 20 minutes video is not enough to describe 10 hours and it's still too early to tell!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom