Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info First Aliens RPG Leaked Footage

Shannow

Waster of Time
The vid was way too dark (do game devs ever get out at night?) and all that was shown was crap.

Little reason to assume that the complete game (that never will be) would have been significantly different from MEh gameplay-wise.

I don't see what the Obsidian-fanbois are getting their knickers in a knot for.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
b) Obsidian showed piece of shit 20 minutes long video full of mini-games and nothing but shooting in Alpha Protocol - oh but 20 minutes video is not enough to describe 10 hours and it's still too early to tell!

Nah, AP looks like a p. shitty RPG from what we've seen. That's a decent enough sample size to make a reasonable guess. We've seen enough dialogue to judge both the quality of writing and the oddball system, we've seen that it uses an Oblivion style lockpicking minigame game and we've heard talk of how the non gung-ho route essentially consists of sneaking past people or using a silencer (again eerily reminiscent of Bethesda's misunderstanding of the term non-combat).

All we know from that video is that is has a shooter-ish structure. Now, unless you're willing to commit to the statement that such a thing always makes a game a bad RPG (which would obviously include Bloodlines), you're just talking shit.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Bluebottle said:
All we know from that video is that is has a shooter-ish structure. Now, unless you're willing to commit to the statement that such a thing always makes a game a bad RPG (which would obviously include Bloodlines), you're just talking shit.

As a rule, such a system makes the game an action game, or a shooter, and nothing to do with a RPG genre. Exceptions are very few and far between and they need to have many RPG elements to redeem for a non-RPG combat.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Bluebottle said:

It would've made it a bad RPG - but it isn't RPG. There is not a single thing proving that it is RPG. It's just a fucking shooter like Mass Effect with slowpoke aliens that are nothing but meat and Obsidian proved many times that they are incapable of making anything that isn't a clone of Bioware/Bethesda games. Plus this is a -console shooter-.
That's more than enough to call it shit - if you see RPG in a game that plays exactly like Gears of War then what can I say?

And yes shooting made shooter parts of Bloodlines not only shitty but extremely shitty.
Fortunately Troika wasn't an absolutely talentless bunch like Obsidian and so Bloodlines had 2/3 of the game that was about everything else.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Callaxes said:
Doctor_model_views.jpg

Holy shit Zangief in a space suit, I'd totally but that game

denizsi

Arcane
From what I've seen of Let's Play threads, there does seem to be a certain characterization problem in NPCs of AoD, though. They are varied enough in their occupations and more importantly, motivations, but not so with personalities or so I've perceived. I may have also missed some of the stuff that might lead me to think differently.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom