Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First DoW2 Preview in a dutch magazine.

Yannos

Educated
Looks pretty cool, I wonder what the other races will be.

It's a Belgian magazine by the way, not Dutch.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
as long they cut down on spess marines and mettel boxes...i'll be darn happy. and please no more pointless skirmishes, ffs.

crufty

Arcane
Wish it was epic / 6mm scale. 40k has its place, but good lord, tallying up the dead at the end of an epic 40k game could be chilling at times.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The article had some other cool bits in it. Apparently you visit a number of planets with each their own terrain. The marines all have their own name, face and temperament to get you to grow attached to them.

The game is build on the idea that every unit is valuable and that you work to make them better. They want players to work towards a larger goal than the mission they're on. They want to implement this by the player being able to give squads and commanders acces to new gear, weapons and so on when you finnish missions.

The missions they descriped sounded like short actiony ones with clear goals. Defend a landing zone, one of you're units is under siege and must hold out for a certain time and so on. It all sounded pretty cool.

I hope they manage to pull it off. I had some defenite xcom and chaos gate vibes. That and I'm one of those suckers that love upgrading and improving his troops in a game.

PS There was also another article in the mag about a new aliens game. At first I thought it was that obsidian rpg but it seems gearbox is creating a tactical shooter in the aliens setting. Looked and sounded pretty good actually.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
This does excite me quite a bit, especially since there's a good chance Orks are getting a single player campaign! This means that I can equip my Boyz with customized snazzguns and turn them into Flash Gits!

obediah

Erudite
Trash said:
PS There was also another article in the mag about a new aliens game. At first I thought it was that obsidian rpg but it seems gearbox is creating a tactical shooter in the aliens setting. Looked and sounded pretty good actually.

Can anyone tell me WTF a tactical shooter is? I assume it used to be something like Operation Flashpoint, or the Old Rainbow Six games, where you commanded AI partners and got dead easily. But now every FPS seems to let you take 5-6 rounds to the face as long as you hide behind a rock for 5 seconds afterwards, and at most allow you to tell two morons to 'go where I'm looking' or 'stop'.

Is it as simple as a shooter uses the dpad to change weapons, and a tactical shooter uses the dpad to give your two commands?

There's a (I'm assuming) cinematic clip here where you can't see shit that was linked from here.

Since my German is lacking and you guys can do it better than the Babel, does the article confirm that this clip is for the game?

Also Der Shpesh Murheener:

1206700986jpggrrs2.jpg

Annonchinil

Scholar
I just downloaded some DoW demos, aye, I hope DoW2 plays more like CoH than the original.

obediah said:
Trash said:

Can anyone tell me WTF a tactical shooter is? I assume it used to be something like Operation Flashpoint, or the Old Rainbow Six games, where you commanded AI partners and got dead easily. But now every FPS seems to let you take 5-6 rounds to the face as long as you hide behind a rock for 5 seconds afterwards, and at most allow you to tell two morons to 'go where I'm looking' or 'stop'.

Is it as simple as a shooter uses the dpad to change weapons, and a tactical shooter uses the dpad to give your two commands?

Basically, yeah...it's been watered down (like everything else).

Instead of just running and gunning around, you have to use "tactics" like stealth, knowledge of terrain/environment/weapon characteristics, teamwork, etc. to win

Bah just realized the "smart" player uses that same shit in regular FPSs.

I suppose tacshooters are more dependent on those aspects for a victory condition as opposed to individual rambos who have good FPS skills.

obediah

Erudite
Tychus Findlay said:
obediah said:
Trash said:

Basically, yeah...it's been watered down (like everything else).

Instead of just running and gunning around, you have to use "tactics" like stealth, knowledge of terrain/environment/weapon characteristics, teamwork, etc. to win

Bah just realized the "smart" player uses that same shit in regular FPSs.

I suppose tacshooters are more dependent on those aspects for a victory condition as opposed to individual rambos who have good FPS skills.

Thanks for confirming the worst! :)

Fez

Erudite
I wouldn't want it to turn into CoH in space. If I want to play CoH, then I already have that series available to me.

I'm surprised that they are taking such a different route with this sequel. I expected it to be more of the same but with a shinier engine with extra bloom.

It sounds promising so far. Too early to tell how it will turn out, of course, but they seem to be trying to do something other than repackage the old and milk the franchise.

The campaign changes and co-op of all things sounds good. I hope that isn't cut before release.

psycojester

Arbiter
Tychus Findlay said:
There's a (I'm assuming) cinematic clip here where you can't see shit that was linked from here.

Since my German is lacking and you guys can do it better than the Babel, does the article confirm that this clip is for the game?

Also Der Shpesh Murheener:

1206700986jpggrrs2.jpg

Question: What the fucking hell happened to his arm?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.

Well, the two gearbox tactical shooters I've played were a lot of fun. But since they specifically stated that "you won't be going to flank aliens in this one" I suspect that which you describe will be a part of what the alien shooter will have. Arcade and shooter gameplau with some squad elements thrown in for good measure. Mind you, that might not be a bad thing. As long as the game has the tension and atmosphere it could be great. Since gearbox has a pretty good track record, I'm rather hopefull.

Deleted member 7219

I really hope DoW2 learns a few things from CoH. Less base building and more combat, that's what the 40k universe is all about... violence.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
exactly. the explosions the flying bodies, the shouts from your units as they lose morale and raining bolters on the xenos. I haven't felt the same sensation as I did when I called down an orbital bombardment on a mass of greenskins while my teammate called down the earthshakers from his basilisks.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Ah, fuck it, reinstalling Mark of Chaos; maybe no orbital ombardment but still the Skaven Big Ben

Nael

Arcane
VonVentrue said:
Frankly, I wish the game would be turn-based - Chaos Gate wasn't the greatest title I have ever played, but I did enjoy it thoroughly.

Frankly, you're a fucking idiot. No one thinks you're cool because you still wish they made turn based strategy games. Go play some chess if RT makes your head hurt or whatever.

Disconnected

Scholar
Nael said:
Frankly, you're a fucking idiot. No one thinks you're cool because you still wish they made turn based strategy games. Go play some chess if RT makes your head hurt or whatever.
Yeah, what's with that fucking idiot?! How dare he even think of a video game implementation of a tabletop wargame that stays true to the actual turn based tabletop wargame?! He must be on crack. And a fucking idiot to boot!

Yes, that was sarcasm, Neal. Now go play Dune2 you fucking idiot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom