Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News FO3 article at GameDaily

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Vault Dweller, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

<a href=http://www.gamedaily.com>Game Daily</a> decided to follow the trend and put together a <a href=http://www.gamedaily.com/fallout-3/pc/game-features/2924/?articleID=42791>Fallout 3 article</a>:
    <br>
    <br>
    <blockquote>With that said, we still have plenty of concerns about the new game. Bethesda has yet to give straight answers about viewpoint, interface and turn-based combat elements. Technically, the "Oblivion with guns" rumor could still be correct, but after looking at the trailer, and the fact that it uses real assets from the game's engine, Bethesda seems to be doing its best to stay faithful to the IP/franchise that it purchased April 2007.
    <br>
    <br>
    The two most major and confirmed announcements about the game were a relief. Fallout 3 will continue to use the series' SPECIAL (i.e. Strength, Perception, Endurance, Charisma, Intelligence, Agility, and Luck) character attribute system. We guess the system will contain a few small modifications, but the main character system will be in place. Secondly, <u>characters from previous games will make return appearances</u>; they would need to travel from Southern California (the setting for the first two games) to <u>Washington, D.C., the major metropolitan area in the game</u>. This change seems like a good move for Bethesda since it will help keep the game fresh and allow the development team to create a new history for the series (and cheap assets since the developer is located a few miles from the D.C. border).
    <br>
    <br>
    The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, another Bethesda game, perfectly balances between linear and non-linear. A main quest can be completed in increments, or players can walk away and find hundreds of hours' worth of quests unrelated to the main storyline.
    <br>
    <br>
    Fallout veteran Ron Perlman reprises his role as the game's narrator. Bethesda also signed Liam Neeson to voice the main character's father, who will play a substantial role in the game. The dedication to use high quality voice acting and high-end graphics show that Bethesda has lofty goals. This definitely bodes well for Fallout 3.</blockquote>Definitely.
    <br>

^ Top  
  2. OldSkoolKamikaze Arcane Patron

OldSkoolKamikaze
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I'm still banking on an uninspired National Treasure-esque plot.

^ Top  
  3. Rohit_N Prophet Patron

Rohit_N
    Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I hope Harold returns.

^ Top  
  4. Saxon1974 Prophet

Saxon1974
    Well at least this article did mention concerns about Gameplay....this one didnt upset me like the others.

^ Top  
  5. Jung Liturgist

Jung
    The seamy underbelly of your seamy underbelly
    Lofty goals, indeed.

^ Top  
  6. Princess Choboco Novice

Princess Choboco
    Revenge of the Tribals

^ Top  
  7. Fat Dragon Arbiter

Fat Dragon
    At least Game Daily seems to have intelligent writers, seeing as how they didn't start heralding Oblivion as the new Jejus, like so many other game sites have been doing in their FO3 articles.

I'm probably wrong though. Most game journalists these days possess the intelligence of an inbred redneck.

^ Top  
  8. miles foreman Scholar

miles foreman
    Wait... what?

^ Top  
  9. JoeDirt Scholar

JoeDirt
    Tandy's back... and she's pissed.

^ Top  
  10. Ion Flux Savant

Ion Flux
    Project: Eternity
    In her adult diaper.

^ Top  
  11. obediah Erudite

obediah
    To be fair, it's pretty sweet that SPECIAL will survive in some form. They have plenty of time to fuck it up, but it's fan-fucking-tastic that they aren't starting from the obivion stat system. That leaves some shread of hope that we won't have to spend hours shooting at birds with a sling shot to raise our "make dead from far away" skill without burning ammo.

The returning characters thing is exactly the stupid "totally missed the point" stuff we've all expected. The best way to really prove they understand what Fallout is about is to transplant some random characters across a shattered continent (any maybe even through time) in some assuredly implausible manner. Of course, wild-n-crazy FO2 completely opened the door for this kind of shit, so I can't really take Bethesda to town for it.

And besides, remember how awesome it was in the Star Wars prequels when Lucas shoehorned in every character from the original trilogy, no matter how badly it shattered plausibility! We love that kind of shit, right? :cofused:

^ Top  
  12. The_Nameless_Prick Scholar

The_Nameless_Prick
    To be somewhat positive, I will say that I'm glad Fallout 3 has SPECIAL, and I hope Harold does indeed return.

^ Top  
  13. Ion Flux Savant

Ion Flux
    Project: Eternity
    Great moments in cinematic history:

"Goodbye Chewbacca, miss you I will." - Yoda

George Lucas is a doofus.

^ Top  
  14. Red Russian Scholar

Red Russian
    True that it is sweet for the SPECIAL to make a return in some form, but it will not work unless they make MAJOR changes to accomodate RT with FPS. No? Afterall, wasn't SPECIAL designed for TB play rather than RT?

^ Top  
  15. Micmu Magister

Micmu
    Yes, they will keep the attribute and skill names so the system will continue to exist in an xbrick action/"RPG". :roll:

^ Top  
  16. HanoverF Arcane Patron

HanoverF
    MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    People are still in doubt this will be Oblivion with guns? PS3/360 + Fall 2008= Fallout FPS

^ Top  
  17. Excrément Arbiter

Excrément
    Why "Fall 2008"?

^ Top  
  18. OsirisGod Scholar

OsirisGod
    Anyone noticed how almost everryone considers SPECIAL to be the atribute system in Fallout instead of the rule set,
    i don't think you should get your hopes up since i doubt they will implement SPECIAL , maybe oblivion system with
    atributes named S.P.E.C.I.A.L. is more likelly so do not fall
    for it.

^ Top  
  19. Keender_surprise Scholar

Keender_surprise
    You mean George Lucase doofus is.

^ Top  
  20. Princess Choboco Novice

Princess Choboco
    Let's play a game called Fill In the Blanks. You get to fill in one blank.

Shooting
    P______
    E______
    C______
    I______
    A______
    L______

^ Top  
  21. Micmu Magister

Micmu
    P - Pillaging
    E - Exploding
    C - Corroding
    I - Imploding
    A - Annihilating
    L - Looting

^ Top  
  22. The_Pope Scholar

The_Pope
    Shooting
    Psionics (TEH FORCE!)
    E
    C
    I
    A
    L

^ Top  
  23. Mefi Cipher

Mefi
    waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
    The FO3 system is called "So-Fucking Special".

Names of attributes mean diddly squat if the system in which they are used is fubar. Think of it as eye-candy for the retarded - "look we've renamed the Oblivion attributes just for you Fallout fans". "Oh gee thanks Beth".

^ Top  
  24. Bloodlust Augur

Bloodlust
    SHOOTING
    PILLAGING
    EXPLORATION
    CRAFTING
    IMMERSHUUUN
    ADVANCEDGRAFIX
    LIAMNEELSHUUN

^ Top  
  25. Kingston Arcane

Kingston
    I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
    Shooting
    Psionics
    Exploding
    Cars
    Invunerability
    Autoaiming
    Left-clicking

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.