Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

For programmers: Which scripting language is better and why?

cardtrick

Arbiter
procrastinator said:
So my question to you is: Would you rather script the game in C# or JavaScript?

Sounds like they're probably using Unity for a game engine. That's the only reason I can think of for Javascript and C# to be the two options. (Unity uses Mono to run C# and Javascript as its primary scripting language. It also supports Boo, which is a Python-ish language for .NET/Mono.)

It's not a bad choice, silly though it sounds. Unity is a really solid engine.

thursdayschild

Educated
:retard:

I wondered why they the co8 mods were like 26 years in development and still not working.

Now I know!

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
the whole recreated ToEE engine is coded in c# iirc (had a look at the source code once), so why not using it for scripting too? Don't see any advantage javascript could possibly have over c#.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I googled "scripting language" and got this.

Hope it is of some help.

T7A9f.jpg

MCA
Lots of programmer butthurt ITT :smug:

And well, maybe if you actually put your spectacular knowledge of hardcore programming to an actual use, like, I don't know, making games? then maybe you wouldn't be so butthurt about some guy who finds Javascript or C# easier and faster to learn and use than sinking years into low level programming to achieve the same result where performance is unlikely to be an issue for the objective (rewriting ToEE engine) at this point of average hardware available. So, gently shove your IT elitism up your stinky assholes and try to be glad that someone has what it takes to try making one of the Codex favourites more playable and possibly future-proof, as opposed to the resident lazy assholes who aspire to be programmers with all the knowledge and skills but couldn't be bothered to even try.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
maybe javascript as scripting language will be easier for module makers to pick up

btw you're the only one sounding butthurt itt

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
So a guy asks for opinions whether to use javascript or c# for scripting, I say I'd prefer c#. Then you come along and excreed some inane drivel about butthurt and how every programmer should make a game in his spare time and whatnot.

Are you on drugs you blathering idiot?

Alex

Arcane
I don't know either of these languages, but my favorite language for creating scripts is Perl. So whichever is closer to that, I guess.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Re: For programmers: Which scripting language is better and

Ninja Cartographer said:
The ToEE Engine recreation project guy extended the question at Co8, and I thought it wouldn't hurt if some of the programming geeks here weighed in.

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?p=107873

It is truly moronic to start a engine recreation project and don't use the scripting language that the original game and mods used, that is even forward compatible in major versions - in the interpreter, not the bindings - python (and i don't even like untyped languages).

The same kind of retardation was considered for the resurgence (lol, more like burial) project for VtM:B.

And you know what? The bugs aren't in the scripting language. Changing it won't make your project attract more people or easier to mod. It won't do a fucking thing. Except make you more work and introduce new and interesting bugs that didn't exist in the original game because you had to rewrite EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF GAME LOGIC. And turn the modding community against you of course - they would have to choose to mod your engine or the original game. Guess what i would chose.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Oh they are using a automatic converter.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Btw, i managed to insert python 2.7 from python 2.2 (or 2.1 can't recall) in bloodlines recently.

:M

This in the original engine, not a reimplementation.

:M

I probably could have gone to 3.2 if was part of a "reimplementation project" and if I used the py2py3 conversion utility in the scripts. It would actually be a kind of good idea because python 3.X has real unicode strings so internationalization becomes possible for the dialogs and fucking weird runtime charset errors disappear.

Shemar

Educated
villain of the story said:
And well, maybe if you actually put your spectacular knowledge of hardcore programming to an actual use, like, I don't know, making games?
Because I make a whole lot more money building business apps than games.

So, gently shove your IT elitism up your stinky assholes and try to be glad that someone has what it takes to try making one of the Codex favourites more playable and possibly future-proof, as opposed to the resident lazy assholes who aspire to be programmers with all the knowledge and skills but couldn't be bothered to even try.
As someone already said, you are the only one who sounds butthurt...

MCA
You keep telling yourself that, lazy asshole. You can't even bring yourself to admit that you have become a soul-wretched entity who has stopped caring about anything much less RPGs. And why so desperate to claim that someone other than you is butthurt? Sounds like a typical case of butthurt to me :smug:

mister_matt

Educated
You keep telling yourself that, lazy asshole. You can't even bring yourself to admit that you have become a soul-wretched entity who has stopped caring about anything much less RPGs. And why so desperate to claim that someone other than you is butthurt? Sounds like a typical case of butthurt to me :smug:

0/10

eugene2k

Novice
Javascript or C# easier and faster to learn
Quit comparing Javascript to C++. Compare it to Python or Lua instead. Then maybe you'll understand the butthurt that you think you have detected.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
cardtrick said:
procrastinator said:
So my question to you is: Would you rather script the game in C# or JavaScript?

Sounds like they're probably using Unity for a game engine. That's the only reason I can think of for Javascript and C# to be the two options. (Unity uses Mono to run C# and Javascript as its primary scripting language. It also supports Boo, which is a Python-ish language for .NET/Mono.)

It's not a bad choice, silly though it sounds. Unity is a really solid engine.

He's using Mono, but not Unity.

P.S. OP is me (my Blackspace alt).

Shemar

Educated
You keep telling yourself that, lazy asshole. You can't even bring yourself to admit that you have become a soul-wretched entity who has stopped caring about anything much less RPGs.
I can't speak for anybody else, but in my case I just care about too many things, so caring about RPGs specifically is pretty low on the list.

And why so desperate to claim that someone other than you is butthurt? Sounds like a typical case of butthurt to me :smug:
The only thing I am desperate for is for the time to pass, since it is a slow day at work, which is pretty much the only time I would waste posting on an internet forum. :lol:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Sitra Achara said:
He's using Mono, but not Unity.

P.S. OP is me (my Blackspace alt).
So why not use ironpython or something.

Oh i see it's not the engine that is C#, but the script interpreter.

Tell the dude, just use python, don't split the modding community.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom