Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FOR THE BETH DEVELOPERS TO READ!

ExMonk

Scholar
Tristan da Cunha said:
ExMonk said:
Aack! Don't answer TES forum posters over HERE! Word will spread and the place will be inundated with more just like him: ("Hey, I complained over at rpgcodex and MSFD almost immediately answered me." "Really? Cool. I'm going there too.")
Personally, I don't know what the fuss is about. The two forums have different cultures. Diversity is a good thing.
True. The official forum primarily has a culture of immaturity, woeful and ignorant redundancy, and a constant tug of war between whining about and fawning over Beth; This forum primarily has a culture of maturity (with an unfortunate dash of childish perversity), intelligent discourse about rpg's (and many other topics), friendly disdain, and holding the feet of rpg devs and companies to the fire. Oh, how could I forget? This forum also has a consistent hostility toward, or amusement with, religion.

LlamaGod

Cipher
This forum also has a consistent hostility toward, or amusement with, religion.

TIME TO RUIN THIS THREAD

Oblivion is to RPGs as
Christianity is to Religion

it's the mainstream consumer graphics/image whore choice, with a ton of "me too" fans that like it just because some other fool likes it or because it's generally accepted as a "good thing" among buttfaces

ExMonk

Scholar
LlamaGod said:
This forum also has a consistent hostility toward, or amusement with, religion.

TIME TO RUIN THIS THREAD

Oblivion is to RPGs as
Christianity is to Religion

it's the mainstream consumer graphics/image whore choice, with a ton of "me too" fans that like it just because some other fool likes it or because it's generally accepted as a "good thing" among buttfaces

Sorry, I'm not biting. Cudface.

But if you demonstrate to me that you know even the basics of Christianity, I might nibble. I won't hold my breath...

Now back to your regular thread.

Data4

Arcane
You fucking douchebag. Do they need permission from you to post elsewhere? I can't speak for MSFD, but I bet if he were free to REALLY speak his mind without the hammer dropping, he'd probably tell you he likes the Codex because despite what anyone says about personalities, people here know their shit about RPGs.

Back, back, foul demon of stupidity!

-D4

Lord Mario said:
"I don't understand I see that the elder scrolls developers post on other forums such as the one I recently saw on rpgcodex, but I RARELY ever see them here or a post from them. I mean aren't these the official forums straight for the game? Or are their other forums where we can actually see dev input and not just player speculations?

More info: Even for Age of Empires 3, I had a couple of developers AIM ID's so we would be able to talk on aim basically daily and it was a lot of fun being able to ask DIRECT questions and feel that we were all heard. We were also able to contact them on AIM as well, one of the managers of the post-ship process. Not to mention they were constantly on their forums giving us information and nearly immediatly fixing any rumors with the truth. We need this, badly."
-From my post at YOUR official forums Beth.

Maybe it's just that you guys take us for granted in those forums, simply because you know where the most enthusiastic and hardcore fans for the series, and you probably know the majority of us no matter what would buy the game if not to at least try it out. Though still, that tactic is very displeasing, I understand that you want to inform the more dumbed down audience here towards the game, to appeal what you believe to be a "Greater' crowed then that of us hardcore TES gamers, but even in your official forums, are their newbies who just want some clear cut answers from the dev's. Answeres that OTHER forumers have to answer and most of the time answer through speculations and frankly only lead to more rumors and comments such as "well just have to wait and see for the dev's to respond" and it never happens.

Please post in this topic thread IN YOUR OFFICIAL FORUMS, why the hell else would you create them shit it doesnt make sense. Please feel free to make this ALL make sense.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... pic=215288

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
This is funny, a combination of some TES forumer's petulance and Llamagod's stupidity. I'd almost forgotten why the Codex was so entertaining! :D

LlamaGod

Cipher
kingcomrade said:
This is funny, a combination of some TES forumer's petulance and Llamagod's stupidity. I'd almost forgotten why the Codex was so entertaining! :D

you're just angry because you like alot of shit that sucks

Drakron

Arcane
Yes.

Several sites are run like kidengarden ... the people can talk to others, make pictures but no calling other names, using foul language.

RPG Codex have afwul things as freedom of speech, were people actually can insult without having someone grabing him and force him to apolize (editing posts) ... sure we look immature by the sheer volume of foul language, insults and attacks but we are adults, we know that is a part of live and that is why RPG Codex is simply the best place to debate a idea ... if you are adult enough.

TES official forums are a kidengarden forum ... most forums are.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
God damnit I clicked on the tubgirl link. I fucking hate you.

There are certain places where language might be worth censoring....on Counter-Strike servers, or such like, just so you (I) don't have to put up with 14 and 16 year olds typing "ONG U FUKING NIGGER JEW STPO CAPMING!!~~@ FUKCER!!~". Even then though, they're usually just a bother. Freedom of speech, maybe, but it's just incredibly silly. Oh noes you can't say "gay" because our server might lose its upstanding reputation in a frickin video game community. Besides, cursing doesn't hurt a goddamn thing.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Has anyone got some kind of guide to posting on the internet the poor schmuck who wrote the OP can read? Aimed at kindergarten level would be good. I'd take some shots but this is fish in the barrel stuff - he even forgot to mention God smiting evildoers. :roll:

Human Shield

Augur
I like this quote from the ES forums:

"I don't capish. Why is RAI essential for a joinable Dark Brotherhood guild?"

because your role-palying potenital is detemined by the suroundings of your character. so if the npc's are "smarter" you would have to role play in a differnet maner, you would not have to imagne that much, but role play while playing(even though a certain amount of imagination is still there-called immersion)

I guess seeing the NPC go to a market instead of walk the streets relieves so much brain power and I can have magically better dead-end decisions with wiki-machines (but now they take up 10x the CPU speed and the towns look less crowded, joy).

They can't even grasp the concept of a world with consequences. All they care about is having a large map where they can go and get tokens, like MMORPGS. They think that is what freedom in an RPG is, they want a big amusement park with different rides and its an RPG with freedom because you can go in any order.

No one should get mad at them without their permission, no one should kill them without their permission, no one should say "no" without their permission.

The basic "carebear" mentally that ruined the MMORPG genre ruins RPGs too for the same reasons. While the rest of the world finds conflict interesting, little kids prefer to ride around the merry-go-round and feel good with the shiny lights, bright colors, and simple motion.

I guess it is the prefect game for spoiled brats that always want to get their way, get crazy if a authority figure says no to them.

Kinda like the twilight zone with the little kid who had powers, but he is retarded enough to jump through hoops for nothing.

Mage guild recruiter: "Its real good that you are the leader of the assassin guild, real good."
Quest NPC: "It was good of you to kill everyone in the town, real good. Continue on with the quest please like nothing has changed and I'll give you a prize."
Player: "I have mage guild leader on my character screen, you better give me more quests fighter's guild so I can get more praise from people listed on my sheet, you better not be thinking bad thoughts unless I want to be a bad-ass character, my character sheet will have everything because I am the greatest.

Human Shield

Augur
This quote pretty much sums up their additude.

Vault Dweller: "Isn't it logical to assume that an organization focused on killing and an organization focused on mercenary services would cross each other sooner or later?"

Maybe if it was a persistant world. We are still talking about a game where the quests are designed and layed out for us though.

The reason why the quest you speak of would exist would be to force us to pick between guild A or guild B, which is a choice I believe we shouldn't be forced to make

They don't want reactive worlds, they want a custom built play room. They shouldn't have to make hard choices, they don't want to share, "Mine! Mine! Mine!".

The don't want any limits. If the game had a "complete quest now" button they wouldn't mine because you can skip it and imagine whatever you want.

Lumpy

Arcane
Lord Mario said:
I understand that you want to inform the more dumbed down audience here towards the game, to appeal what you believe to be a "Greater' crowed then that of us hardcore TES gamers

Imbecile

Arbiter
Human Shield said:
They don't want reactive worlds, they want a custom built play room. They shouldn't have to make hard choices, they don't want to share, "Mine! Mine! Mine!".

The don't want any limits. If the game had a "complete quest now" button they wouldn't mine because you can skip it and imagine whatever you want.

This is a recurring problem that was exemplified by Deus ex 2. If i recall correctly there were three factions, but it didnt really matter which one you chose because you could always butcher everyone in a faction and then move onto the next - and then back again. They forgave you every time. People want to be able to do everything first time around. They want to be able to do all the quests, join all the factions, get all the phat loot, create the ultimate character, and they want to do it in one go.

The problem is that without any permanent consequences, there are no real choices. I can sympathise with the need to be everything, and to do everything - because I'm something of a completist myself, and equally I can see that by giving the player the option to bypass content, the developers risk looking like they have created a smaller game, or will have "wasted time" producing content that some people never see.

But if you want real choice, and you want real replayability youre going to need to exclude some content.
By all means flesh the rest of the game out with some random quests, or include cheap gladiator style factions where you can simply put in "quests" that are essentially just combat - but RPGs should always be about more than choice. They should be about meaningful choice.

Sycandre

Novice
Most players of MW seem to come from different gaming traditions... and not that often from RPG. They are the core of TES forum, and I think it is quite hard to talk about RPG seriously there because most people who respond don't even know what it is all about!

I think there is a negative effects from people who think like in the good time of shoot'em ups: a game had to be played to achieve the highiest score, get all the possible bonus... to be mastered perfectly and COMPLETED.
In most gamers mind, playing is just the quest for the optimal way to play. The game is here to be fully discovered and beaten... in a single game.

The idea of simply being part of an interactive story, and change this story line because of your ideas and acts is not in their culture. As the idea of a game completely different according to the role you choose. Choosing a role being just a different tactical choice to beat the game completely. The good example being people who design warriors with the idea of still being able to join the mage guild and become its head.

Having so much people who won't be able to argue about RPG, and who flood most threads with bunches of immature replies is probably what both take the devs far from official forum, and what drow their few posts in the mass of unintersting whinnnig or hyping.

...though, I quite agree with the original poster, for it is sad to find the most interesting new infos from the devs, on other forums.

Zomg

Arbiter
Human Shield said:
Mage guild recruiter: "Its real good that you are the leader of the assassin guild, real good."
Quest NPC: "It was good of you to kill everyone in the town, real good. Continue on with the quest please like nothing has changed and I'll give you a prize."
Player: "I have mage guild leader on my character screen, you better give me more quests fighter's guild so I can get more praise from people listed on my sheet, you better not be thinking bad thoughts unless I want to be a bad-ass character, my character sheet will have everything because I am the greatest.

Good Twilight Zone reference.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Yeah I hadn't realised how prescient a satire that episode would become for this, the age of the all-powerful adolescent consumer who dictates so much media content.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom