Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

For those who played Fallout 2 before playing Fallout

A poll only for those who played Fallout 2 before playing Fallout. Which of the two do you like more

• Fallout

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Fallout 2

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I played Fallout first, I prefer Fallout 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I <3 Fallout 3

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Fallout 2 is a better game because i've replayed it way more times than the first one. Game over, man.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Gnidrologist said:
Fallout 2 is a better game because i've replayed it way more times than the first one. Game over, man.

I bow to your superior intellect and refined taste. Accept this potato as a symbol of friendship.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
I prefer FO1 for consistency and writing, but play FO2 more often because of its quest design and general replayability.
And I genuinely can't understand how anyone could disagree with that.

In any case, FO1 wins on writing and voice acting. Both Lou (hell, who can compete with Tony Jay anyway?) and The Master make my spine quiver when I replay it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Dark Matter said:
The fact remains that most areas in Fallout 1 had one defining characteristic, a few of which were 'token crap' like the Hub and the raider town.
Are you taking that fact out of your ass? You're mistaking communities that hate each other guts thus living in separate districts (raiders, ghouls, other humans) for retarded piece of shit of Fallout 2 a la "lol chinese kung fu town!". And many many buildings throughout the whole FO1 are made out of junk, which is much more logical than inconsistent Vault City and trash-y New Reno.

The areas in Fallout 2 had a lot more going on in them, in terms of different political conflicts.
You mean that political conflict where you blow up a toilet and cover the town with shit?

In Fallout 1, the conflicts within towns never went beyond "there's a good sheriff and a corrupt crime boss. the chosen one must choose!"
Sorry - the Chosen One is literally how your character is called in F2 - and hey at least your choices didn't seem stupid in F1 compared to "lol choose out of 3 cartoonish mafia clans!"

Secretninja

Cipher
1eyedking said:
Digging yourself deeper?

He said: "Why would anyone want to invade a setting with an insane potential with all the BORING "real world" crap in a most stunted, forced manner like a dog shitting in the middle of the carpet kind of way? I get sick of that crap right here, I wanted you faggots to give me more stuff in the spirit of the awesome PIPE RIFLE instead of the DESERT EAGLE."

You said: "First you ask for no "real world crap", and then you ask for more Desert Eagles?"

Questions?
What the hell? I won't answer this, I'd repeat myself. Read.
Oh, wow...

bhlaab

Erudite
MetalCraze said:
You mean that political conflict where you blow up a toilet and cover the town with shit?

No, I think he was referring to the quests where you influence the growth and development of several political factions in the game.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Skyway, I don't mean to speak for you, but I think what he means, bhlaab, is that a few well-done quests don't outweigh all the stupid and lulz content that is present in FO 2.

It's like Thief: Deadly Shadows - I don't think many who loved Thief 1 and 2 would call it a good game- yet it contains "Return to the Cradle", which is in my mind the best video game level ever made, and some others like it a lot too. Yet this one good level doesn't make up for how screwed up most of the rest are.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I bet most of you tards who badmouth F2 got to this mental condition only after reading the Codex and finding out how shitty it is, but thoroughly enjoyed it at the time when you were actually playing it.

Pre Codex:
Oh boy, this game is like so cool.
Ok, it's so cool i will go on an internet message board to post about it's coolness and read other ppl posting about how cool it is.
*goes to internet and reads Codex*
Post Codex:
Gosh, appears this game really sucks though. Ok, i will make some posts and make sure noone suspects me of having enjoyed the game.
*posts on Codex*
blah blah fallout 2 sucks blah incoherent setting blah blah worst than fallout blah i want bettar writing blaaah
*phew, i guess i'm with teh cool guys now*

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Mhm, yes I think that's exactly how it happened. Might I subscribe to your newsletter?

WholesaleGenocide

Liturgist
I played FO2 first, but recently played through the first Fallout completely a few months ago and found it vastly superior to the first one. While the interface is blatantly inferior to FO2's, the plot is a lot less RAAAAAAAAAGE inspiring. Then again, I've never actually beaten FO2. Every single time I play the game, I get to the oil tanker -- always the fucking oil tanker. The game just runs out of steam (i mean oil lol) at that point, though I blame this partly on the fact that the oil tanker city (unsure of the name) is so unbelievably fucking lame. Isn't it the one with the huboligists (give me a fucking break) and the two karate masters (massive facepalm on this in particular)?

Not that the first Fallout didn't have its own problems like having unbelievably lame npc companions (Fallout 2 is a little less guilty of this, in my opinion) and that stupid fucking Peter Pan-esque thieves guild in a basement in The Hub is vomit-inspiring. Not only is it a lame out of place reference, but even if it *was* a good idea (it's not) it has a distinct lack of any quests beyond the first one (odd for a so-called "guild" which makes the entire thing alien in the world of Fallout.

Oh, and personally I didn't mind (and maybe even liked) the time limit for the water chip. Gives a sense of urgency and purpose in the game...Though doesn't make much sense if you end up selling out the vault to the mutants because that makes it appear as though your character never really gave a shit about the vault anyways. Doesn't make much sense.

nasi

Novice
from what i still remember, i only plaid fallout 2 for a few days and then got bored off the concept. luckily i unwittingly bought pst as well and had a jolly good time with it. :D

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
I have only three grudges with Fallout 2. A big one, a medium one and a small one.

Small one is New Reno. Yes, yes, the whole mafia business is a bit misplaced. But the quests, politics etc all make up for it.

Medium one is the GECK. I'm supposed to believe that a metal suitcase is enough to make a piece of wasteland change into Vault City, or a tribal village into a thriving metropolis!?

Big one is San Francisco. Not only because (again) the yakuza doesn't quite fit, but more so because the whole location feels extremely rushed. While New Reno had everything great except the theme, San Fran doesn't even have good quests iirc, and the only moment I had a 'yes, that's interesting' thought was when I found out that YAKUZA EMPEROR IS A COMPUTER!!!!

But apart from these three, I still think that Fallout 2 is better than Fallout 1. First, the scale is a lot bigger. Second, the towns and their mutual relationships are a lot better.

I didn't mind the so called 'lulz' at all.

*phew, i guess i'm with teh cool guys now*

internet without circlejerks is a lonely internet

Medium one is the GECK. I'm supposed to believe that a metal suitcase is enough to make a piece of wasteland change into Vault City, or a tribal village into a thriving metropolis!?

Suitcase containing stuff that would help communities to worry about things other than gathering food for the next day. The "actual contents" section explains it better.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/GECK

So yeah, it's not a genie lamp but it's a pretty nifty thingie

yakuza emperor is a computer being interesting

The codex faceplamed at Eden, but I think hes a p. cool guy.

Double Ogre

Scholar
Darth Roxor said:
Big one is San Francisco. Not only because (again) the yakuza doesn't quite fit, but more so because the whole location feels extremely rushed. While New Reno had everything great except the theme, San Fran doesn't even have good quests iirc, and the only moment I had a 'yes, that's interesting' thought was when I found out that YAKUZA EMPEROR IS A COMPUTER!!!!
Yakuza (with samurai swords) appears only in random encounters around New Reno. San Fran has the Chinese kung fu masters.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
OgreOgre said:
\
Yakuza (with samurai swords) appears only in random encounters around New Reno. San Fran has the Chinese kung fu masters.

I see. I thought the kung-fu masters in San Fran called themselves Yakuza. Memory must be playing tricks on me.

Clockwork Knight said:
The codex faceplamed at Eden, but I think hes a p. cool guy.

I always facepalmed at Eden, because I thought it's an obvious rip-off of Fallout 2.

Suitcase containing stuff that would help communities to worry about things other than gathering food for the next day. The "actual contents" section explains it better.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/GECK

Yeah, the things this wiki has are all cool, but when you find the GECK it's still pretty much just a bloody suitcase.

Mackerel

Augur
The Yakuza is the Japanese mafia. The kung fu schools are a minor sidequest that is separate from the Shi and their computer emperor.

1eyedking

Erudite
Gragt said:
The GECK is a bit of a magical device and its real effects aren't really known but so be it. Yet I have trouble to find plausible a city in the middle of a hostile wasteland with nice little gardens and said benches and informations kiosks. If it firmly controlled a sizeable portion of the wasteland, I could understand people would want to develop such luxuries, but not really in a precarious position like Vault City's. NCR supposedly controls some sizeable territory, and it could explain some of its strenght. The way it is organized also seem more fitting to a town in the middle of a hostile wasteland. I doubt a small village like Shady Sands could attain the size of the NCR, not only the town itself but the totality of its members, in only 80 years, especially when you compare it to historical exemples like Rome or Greece, but I can suspend disbelief for this one — unlike Vault City that stretches it thin.
Garden of Eden Creation Kit. Did you even watch the intro? Also the information kiosk was a nod at the excessive bureaucracy that spawns from tight organization. It fits the style of FO2 perfectly.

And they were in no precarious position. They had vast amounts of medical supplies which they traded for other resources and a well guarded city with a well armed corps.

I wonder who is playing semantics there. As VD said, a set of zones with a theme each doesn't make a theme park, especially when they are coherent within the setting.
Yes, I understood that. But I still think FO1 locations are theme parks, and that FO2's zones are all coherent. They might not be cohesive with FO1's more serious take on the post-apocalyptic setting, but they all make sense. 80 years pass and something is supposed to happen, whereas in FO1 everything was in shackles FO2 shows civilization in some parts has evolved and in others not.

20 years to create a small backwater village and it can be turned in only 4 times that amount of time into a powerful federation of wasteland towns united under one banner? Tandi is a strong and charismatic leader but the NCR seems too advanced with such humble origins and with so little time. But again, I can persuade myself to accept it.
Yeah, that sounds better than getting stupidly nit-picky about how much material can be hauled over the course of 80 years and how a peaceful village would have had access to technology and if said trade routes would have been attacked by raiders, and how would a police force have evolved and where would it have gotten its weapons from if the Hub is a pretty long way away, and then there's the whole crops deal and would they have managed to support a large population and...

What the deisgners really meant to say was "some time passed and things started to look up again...or did they?"

I guess he meant that there wouldn't be much need for pr0n in a desolate place where daily survival is the main concern. If we consider pr0n as some kind of luxury, that kind of industry doesn't have its place in a post-apoc setting like Fallout's. As for the need for pr0n in NR, the mere presence place is highly questionnable.
*sigh*

I won't bother explaining FO2's comment about civilization's decadence again.

I know you like to play semantics but re-read Avellone's quote, and maybe copy it again, instead of cooking it to your own sauce.
There's no need. As if you didn't know developers sometimes save face in interviews. Had MCA said "I despise it. It was one of the worst locations, it absolutely had nothing to do with Fallout, and if I could go back I would have scratched it off completely" then it would have been a different matter. Semantics? Nah, politics.

/edit: removed a wrong quote. Three times.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
1eyedking said:
Garden of Eden Creation Kit. Did you even watch the intro?
A magic suitcase that makes green cities out of nothing. It comes with seeds, fertilizer, and a generator. You put the seeds in the hard wasteland soil, add the fertilizer, turn on the generator, wait 80 years and voila! A brand new city with laser gates, green parks, big ass guns, and one citizen Lynette will jump out of the ground when you're not looking. 'Tis the magic of Christmas and a philosophical undertone hinting that no matter what happens people will rebuild and restore, because you can break our cities, but you can't break our will!

Also the information kiosk was a nod at the excessive bureaucracy that spawns from tight organization. It fits the style of FO2 perfectly.
Excessive bureaucracy. In a post-apocalyptic "we nuked everything just be to sure" world. Yeah, this makes sense.

I wonder who is playing semantics there. As VD said, a set of zones with a theme each doesn't make a theme park, especially when they are coherent within the setting.
Yes, I understood that. But I still think FO1 locations are theme parks, and that FO2's zones are all coherent.
Then you don't understand, but only pretend that you do.

80 years pass and something is supposed to happen...
Are "something was supposed to happen" and "anything goes!" the same things in your book?

I won't bother explaining FO2's comment about civilization's decadence again.
And I won't bother explaining Dungeon Siege's social commentary that life is an endless struggle.

I know you like to play semantics but re-read Avellone's quote, and maybe copy it again, instead of cooking it to your own sauce.
There's no need. As if you didn't know developers sometimes save face in interviews.
Yeah. Save face by admitting design flaws. Happens all the time. Is it really that hard to accept what Avellone said without trying to weasel your way out, which is amusing and clear to everyone?

Had MCA said "I despise it. It was one of the worst locations, it absolutely had nothing to do with Fallout, and if I could go back I would have scratched it off completely" then it would have been a different matter. Semantics? Nah, politics.
Politics. :roll:

Zomg

Arbiter
Here were my reactions to finishing F1 and F2:

F1: "Jesus, this was the best game ever. I can't wait for more."

F2: "welp"

But I did finish it.

Multi-headed Cow said:
I'm surprised more people played Fallout 2 first, I have to say.

I am not surprised at all. Most people, unfortunately, did not play Fallout 1 or 2 when they were released. They played them later. If only they had bought them when they were released...we would have seen more!

In any case, many people that start playing a series years later often go for the newest iteration first. Whether it be due to graphics, UI or because it has a number after the name.

Mackerel

Augur
I always have to start at the beginning of the series, it just doesn't feel right otherwise. I'm actually more interested in that than this pointless and boring debate: Why, those people who played FO2 first, did you do so?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mackerel said:
I always have to start at the beginning of the series, it just doesn't feel right otherwise. I'm actually more interested in that than this pointless and boring debate: Why, those people who played FO2 first, did you do so?

Because FO2 didn't have a time limit. I generally don't like time limits and thus played FO2 first, liked it, and then gave FO1 a chance. Turned out the time limit wasn't bad at all (had over 100 days left when I found the water chip), but I already knew some things about Fallout from reading the discussions here.
I never finished any of the two Fallouts but I know very well who the end bosses are and how the game ends; probably too much reading about it before playing, heh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom