Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Forgotten oldies: Death Gate

Mareus

Magister
It's been some time since I posted a Forgotten oldie thread, since it is very hard to find almost completely forgotten games that offer something more than usual crap. Things that will not make you regret playing it. I believe all the games I mentioned so far in these threads are worthy of the title Forgotten oldie and I hope those who are willing to try old games will enjoy this new adventure which I have discovered not so long ago.

The game I am about to review is called Death Gate and it is based on the novels of Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman known as The Death Gate Cycle. It was made by the legendary Legend Entertainment in 1994, who were most famous by Frederick Pohl’s Gateway and Terry Brooks’ Shannara. I might do a review on those games some other time. Anyway this game surprised me the minute I started playing it.

The story of Death Gate starts with the gathering of some mysterious mages preforming a dangerous ritual that sunders the world apart into 5 pieces/realms. Apparently there was a war between the Sartan and Partryn sorcerers years ago and the Partryns were close to victory. In their desperation the Sartans decided to resolve to drastic measures which resulted in the aforementioned sundering and the deaths of millions of people (humans, dwarfs, elves are called the menschs). The realms were later known as world of air, firy, earth and water and they represented the 4 elements. The Sartan “mercifully” imprisoned the Patryn in the fifth realm, known as the Labyrinth. During centuries of imprisonment, the Patryn struggled to survive in the harsh enviorment of the sentient Labyrinth, which had a will of it's own. It tortured them with harsh environments,deadly traps, monsters, etc..

The game starts with you (Haplo - the name sure is stupid in my opinion, but no big deal) escaping from the labyrinth with the help of Lord Xar. He then asks you to help him in his search for the missing seals which were the cause of the sundering, so he could preform the ritual of restoration to fix the world into it's original state. Apparently the Sartans have also disappeared over the centuries and he wants you to find out what happened to them so he could destroy them for what they did. He also wants you to learn any new spells and to bring the knowledge to him so he could exact revenge on the Sartans when the time is right.

What surprised me the most in this game is it's size, although the story is a bit meh. There is incredibly well layered plot based on the 5 seperete realms, since each world features unique experience. From realm to realm everything is different. From different geography and landscapes, different life conditions to different history and societies. Each realm has their own royal families, guilds, merchants, etc.. each with their own ambitions and goals which are not connected to the main story. Also most of the people you meet will not have any knowledge about the story behind the Sartans and Partryns, since they have been missing for a very long time. Most of information you will get from Lord Xar who is the plot progressor and few notible figures through out the game.

Death Gate plays like a traditional point-and-click adventure game but you play it from the first person. I am not a big fan of first person adventures, since you can very easily miss some location and get stuck if you don't notice a different curve on your pointer, but in Death Gate this is not the case. It really plays like point-and-click adventure game, but you see everything from first person. You also have a compass which shows you all the rooms you can enter, so there is no way you can miss some location. The puzzles are great and there is a nice balance between puzzles and conversations. The conversations are also incredibly well done, but tend to be very long sometimes, especially if you want to ask every single question available. But what makes the conversations above average than other adventures I have played is roleplaying elements. I haven't tested out all the options, but you very often you have the ability to act differently towards people you meet. For example in the world of air the dwarves are being oppressed by some glowing beings (I won't say more), who made them believe they were Gods. When you arrive to the world of air you can pretend to be a God, or you can decide to be honest. Each option leads to different response and although there aren't any consequences it is a nice touch. The number of dialog options is also very impressive and when you take into consideration every character has a voice and many, many lines you start to wonder how did they manage to put the whole game on 1 CD. There is quite a bit of narrative text, diaries, historical documents, and dialogues to sieve through. They are all well written and are rather fascinating, since everything is directly connected to the quests the player needs to complete or the puzzles the player needs to solve. There is a fine dose of humor in the game too, but nothing so unsubtle that may distract you from taking the main story seriously.

The puzzles in Death Gate are perfect! They are all logical, not too easy and not too hard which makes the game extremely enjoyable to play. There was one puzzle which was tough to crack, but you can ask for help from the game. There is a lot of quests, subplots and plot twists, so you will never be bored like in some adventure games. For example I loved Discworld Noir, but Goddamnit most of the times I was going from one location to another clicking on the journal entries while talking with people. In Death Gate there is a perfect balance of the quantity of puzzles with the quantity of dialogs.

You can die in Death Gate, but it will not happen too often. Just be careful not to expect the game to keep you alive. The interface of the game is fairly intuitive. On the upper left side you have options like take, put, look at, use, etc... and occasionally you will get special option on some objects like kick, push, etc.. In the lower left corner you have a compass which shows you the options where you can move. Under the main screen you have items and use magic icon which allows you to cast magic. Ahh, magic.. almost forgot about that which is a wonder since magic plays a vital role in the story and puzzle solving. Magic works similar like in Arx Fatalis, but don't worry, you won't have to draw signs in the air. You can do that too by putting together the magical symbols, but there is an easier way which lets you just click on the magic spell you want to cast and the symbols will come together automatically. Magic is also explained very originally (at least i found it so). Basically the magic works by making possibility come into reality. If you for example see a wall in front of yourself, there is a possibility there was once or will one day be a door there. Magic wielder makes that possibility into reality, or something like that.

You can also have your own party. Well not literally in RPG terms, but you will sometimes have to bring certain people with you because they have certain abilities you need to progress in the game. Quite a nice touch for a game made in 1994.

The graphic in Death gate is amazing. Everything is drawn to the smallest detail and although there are not many animations, the descriptions used when looking at things, as well as good writing and good music make a nice tasty soup I believe every adventure fan will enjoy. If codex would have scores I would give this game 9/10, since the last world in the game is a bit short and because of the lack of animations.

Here are some more screen shots:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/death-gate/screenshots

Fez

Erudite
Not too shabby. I think I've heard of this game before. Don't know if I ever got around to playing it though. I find adventure games often age quite well, so anyone looking for one might consider giving it a go.

Thanks, Mareus.

Mareus

Magister
Oh believe me, this one is one of the greats. I never played it until recently and I enjoyed it so much I just couldn't help myself but to immediately make a short review. I have the full talkie version so if you can't find it, just give me a shout and I will upload it. We need to distribute these games so they don't get lost in time.

Hory

Erudite
Thanks for the recommendation. I obtained a non-inventory version of this game, and it's just great. Almost perfect, I'd say. In short:
  • Based on the work of "real" writers.
  • Good voice acting.
  • Graphics still good enough to be enjoyable.
  • Interesting magic system, with flexible usage. You actually feel like you have the (supernatural) power to manipulate the environment, rather than just "doing X points of damage to NPC Y".
  • Logical puzzles. If you think of something, it probably works, and if it doesn't, the reason why is logical too. Most "failed" actions still have custom explanations.
  • Interactive fiction / graphical adventure hybrid. You don't have the IF problem of "guessing the verb", and you don't have the dumbed-down interactivity of modern point & click adventures.
I will also be getting Shannara, but pretty much every Legend game seems worth-playing!

Mareus

Magister
Hory said:
Thanks for the recommendation. I obtained a non-inventory version of this game, and it's just great. Almost perfect, I'd say. In short:
  • Based on the work of "real" writers.
  • Good voice acting.
  • Graphics still good enough to be enjoyable.
  • Interesting magic system, with flexible usage. You actually feel like you have the (supernatural) power to manipulate the environment, rather than just "doing X points of damage to NPC Y".
  • Logical puzzles. If you think of something, it probably works, and if it doesn't, the reason why is logical too. Most "failed" actions still have custom explanations.
  • Interactive fiction / graphical adventure hybrid. You don't have the IF problem of "guessing the verb", and you don't have the dumbed-down interactivity of modern point & click adventures.
I will also be getting Shannara, but pretty much every Legend game seems worth-playing!
Glad someone doesn't think I have a bad taste in games, just because I like FF7. LOL! And glad you enjoyed it. I was just a bit disappointed with the end. They could have at least add some nice drawings, but the whole game is so great, you can live with the ending.

flabbyjack

Arcane
I've never truly forgotten about this title. It's about the only adventure/puzzle game I could ever play without getting stuck. And the setting was exquisite. Bag that snake!

pagey

Novice
Mareus said:
Oh believe me, this one is one of the greats. I never played it until recently and I enjoyed it so much I just couldn't help myself but to immediately make a short review. I have the full talkie version so if you can't find it, just give me a shout and I will upload it. We need to distribute these games so they don't get lost in time.

Dude, I would LOVE the talkie version. Do you reckon you could upload it please?

Mareus

Magister
pagey said:
Mareus said:

Dude, I would LOVE the talkie version. Do you reckon you could upload it please?
You can download it easily from pirate bay. People are still seeding it. Uploading it on RapidShare would take me forever, since the whole file is 650 MB big and I don't know how to split it on 3 files because it is in one ISO file. If you or anyone else knows how to do it, I will follow the instructions and upload it gladly, but like I said you have it on pirate bay and people are still seeding it.

Erebus

Arcane
Mareus said:
I was just a bit disappointed with the end.

Haven't played the game, but the same could be said about the book series. Endings are Weis and Hickman's weak point.

Do you know how close the game is to the series ? Do we meet Alfred ? The dog ? Undead Sartans ? Snake-like personifications of evil ?

Hory

Erudite
ACG said:
[...]Aside from Haplo and Xar, several other characters from the books also make an appearance in the game. Many of them, however, have been greatly simplified and reduced to only episodic roles with little development. Many major characters from the books are missing altogether, most notably Alfred, whose role is crucial in bringing out Haplo’s characterization in the literary originals. On the other hand, some of the memorable archetypes from the books are used in new, interesting ways. For example, a boy named Bane has been recast into a different child with a different life and social standing, though both share a very similar personality. The character that stays most true to the canon is the whimsical, crazy wizard Zifnab, who appears in all his pun infested glory. In general, the plotlines are less violent and happier than those in the books, and the characters show less moral ambiguity.
You do meet a snake, but it wasn't apparent to me that it is the personification of evil. There's a dog involved for a while too.

pagey

Novice
Mareus said:
pagey said:
Mareus said:

You can download it easily from pirate bay. People are still seeding it. Uploading it on RapidShare would take me forever, since the whole file is 650 MB big and I don't know how to split it on 3 files because it is in one ISO file. If you or anyone else knows how to do it, I will follow the instructions and upload it gladly, but like I said you have it on pirate bay and people are still seeding it.

Unfortunately I checked the torrent on Pirate Bay and the seed info was inaccurate. No one seeding at all it would seem. I'm also not sure how to split ISO files, unfortunately. Ah well.

I did find a download of a version purporting to be the full CD version here, but it's only 270MB, less than half what you say yours is. I've seen that before with games... don't have an explanation for it though.

pagey

Novice
I *think* I may have it sorted. I managed to get the game at the link I posted running, and there seem to be voices too. Which is confusing due to the discrepancy in overall size between it and the version Mareus says he us.

Can't complain really, if it's working.

pagey

Novice
And...working it is. Nice one.

Does anyone know if it's possible to hit dead ends in the game?

Mareus

Magister
pagey said:
And...working it is. Nice one.

Glad to see you found a way to download the game after all. You should also have a few movies, but they are certainly not big enough to fill the rest of the ISO file. Perhaps your version has compressed audio and video files. I did the same thing when putting Broken Sword 1 to my PDA, and the size of 1GB fell to just 375 MB :)

Anyway, you asked about dead ends. I am not sure what you mean, but there is one bug in the game when you enter the Labyrinth. Be sure to make a check point there. The bug appears if you take too long to save your people, and if you save at the wrong time, you won't be able to rescue them. Other than that, the game is pretty logical and there is no way to get stuck other than what I just described.

Have fun, cause it is really enjoyable. I especially loved the world of stone... err fire I think, the undead Sartans part :)

pagey

Novice
Mareus said:
Glad to see you found a way to download the game after all. You should also have a few movies, but they are certainly not big enough to fill the rest of the ISO file. Perhaps your version has compressed audio and video files. I did the same thing when putting Broken Sword 1 to my PDA, and the size of 1GB fell to just 375 MB :)

Thanks Mareus. Yeah, like I said I've seen it before with other games. I normally try and get the largest one possible, just to be sure, but this seems reasonably complete. i.e. it has the voices as well as SVGA mode.

Anyway, you asked about dead ends. I am not sure what you mean, but there is one bug in the game when you enter the Labyrinth. Be sure to make a check point there. The bug appears if you take too long to save your people, and if you save at the wrong time, you won't be able to rescue them. Other than that, the game is pretty logical and there is no way to get stuck other than what I just described.

Have fun, cause it is really enjoyable. I especially loved the world of stone... err fire I think, the undead Sartans part :)

By dead ends, I mean the chance of reaching points where, due to not collecting something or hearing something earlier, you can't progress without restoring to an earlier save game. The sort of thing that there was quite a bit of in old Sierra games.

I don't mind them (though I generally prefer games without) if I at least know they are there and can play that bit more carefully and save more studiously as a result.

From what you say it doesn't sound like being an issue with Death Gate, though. :cool:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
pagey said:
I *think* I may have it sorted. I managed to get the game at the link I posted running, and there seem to be voices too. Which is confusing due to the discrepancy in overall size between it and the version Mareus says he us.
iso images themselves can use compression, so quite possibly one is compressed, the other is not. in such an old game, where the files on the disk are probably un- or very lightly compressed, this might cause quite a huge size difference.

anyway, in case either of you needs to split files in the future:
grab an archiver (i recommend 7-zip), which will give you the option to add files to archives and have the archives split over multiple files.

in the case of 7-zip it will add a new option called 7-zip on the rightclick context menu in windows, which will show a submenu containing "add to archive..", clicking that will take you to a window with settings for the archive, including the name, the compression strength, and one of the lower options called something along the lines of "split into multiple files (bytes):", where you can either select from standard sizes, or type in the desired size for the archives (you want the resulting archives to be 220mb or less, type in 220M), and once you click ok, your file will be compressed and split into as many archive files as needed based on your compression and target filesize settings.

pagey

Novice
SuicideBunny said:
pagey said:
iso images themselves can use compression, so quite possibly one is compressed, the other is not. in such an old game, where the files on the disk are probably un- or very lightly compressed, this might cause quite a huge size difference.

anyway, in case either of you needs to split files in the future:
grab an archiver (i recommend 7-zip), which will give you the option to add files to archives and have the archives split over multiple files.

in the case of 7-zip it will add a new option called 7-zip on the rightclick context menu in windows, which will show a submenu containing "add to archive..", clicking that will take you to a window with settings for the archive, including the name, the compression strength, and one of the lower options called something along the lines of "split into multiple files (bytes):", where you can either select from standard sizes, or type in the desired size for the archives (you want the resulting archives to be 220mb or less, type in 220M), and once you click ok, your file will be compressed and split into as many archive files as needed based on your compression and target filesize settings.

Thanks for the info mate. Funnily enough I do actually have IZArc, though idiotically I didn't think of it when posting before.

Been playing Death Gate a fair bit this evening. It's very enjoyable so far. The writing and voice acting (particularly the former) are well above average, and the whole thing is enjoyably engrossing. The node-style navigation is always fun when done well (The Last Express comes to mind), and the magical elements so far are really well implemented. I'm pleased I came across this one.

flabbyjack

Arcane
pagey said:

Yes. I can recall at least 1 'timed' sequence where you have only a certain number of actions until 'game over'. But there are no real places you can get stuck in, no(Other than the Labyrinth bug mentioned above).

pagey

Novice
flabbyjack said:
pagey said:

Yes. I can recall at least 1 'timed' sequence where you have only a certain number of actions until 'game over'. But there are no real places you can get stuck in, no(Other than the Labyrinth bug mentioned above).

I'm just doing the Brotherhood section at the moment. Seems to be one of the bits you're referring to here.

Mareus

Magister
flabbyjack said:
pagey said:

Now that you mention it, I think it can also happen in the prison if you save at the wrong time. I didn't have a problem with it though, since I managed to solve it before running out of time, but if someone was just moving around and then saved at the wrong time, I think you would again be screwed since you wouldn't have enough time to save yourself before game over. The important thing is to always have a backup save.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I actually played this over the summer. It was a fun way to spend a couple nights. I'd say it's an above average adventure game. The plot is good even if you can figure out where it's going pretty quickly. The puzzles and dialog are better than the average adventure game.

Bonus points are awarded to the annoying dwarves. I drove my chick crazy in the other room with all the Kinksy Winksy lines.

Andhaira

Arcane
It was an ok game. Shannara was better though (you can get it inline at azn abandonware site)

Lightknight

Liturgist
Shannara was better though
Better - how ? Shannara is one of the most typical cliche fantasy you will ever read. And the game added those pointless travel/combat interludes.

Anyway, best Legend adventure is undisputedly Callahan's.

Andhaira

Arcane
The book series wasok, though IMO theoriginal trilogy wasbetter than the deathgate books over all. Death Gate boks werealso full ofcliches, they tried to disguisethem but they were there.

Oh and once again dragonas were supreme. Really I think Weis wants to suck on dragon penis or something.

Anyhow the combat was fun in Shannara; combats give you thrills.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom