Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Free" AA at last?

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
morthological AA. Super sampling with a 9ms hit? (that's next to nothing btw.)

Originally an intel algorithm, but currently seen mostly in top tier first party PS3 games.

AA_003.jpg.jpg

Now it's coming to AMD's new Cards via a direct compute shader (will prolly be added in a driver update for older cards too)

morphological%20aa.png
morphological%20aa%20comparo.gif

There is a caveat to brute forcing it in drivers though, it currently adds the filtering to UI elements as well. But that can be fixed by developers.

morphological%20aa%20text.gif

racofer

Thread Incliner
Until they come up with a technology that makes the pixels on my display align in a perfect, smooth curve, it will always look jaggied to me :obviously:

spekkio

Arcane
Who fucking cares if 99% of new games are shit?
Enjoy your 16000x10000 anti-aliased crap.

:obviously:

spekkio

Arcane
Technical analysis then: so it's basically super-sampling on-the-fly 2.0 that doesn't affect performance and looks better than AA?
Holy fuck, that's probably awesome...

But who cares, actually?
PC gaming died ~ 6 years ago, why should I bother with hardware?

I'm not Skyway who thinks that PC gaming is better because PCs have better hardware than consoles...
Plus you have to install drivers and shit so you're by definition elite intellectualist...

[/troll]

:M

MetalCraze

Arcane
but currently seen mostly in top tier first party PS3 games.

You mean on Sony's bullshots?

Because I didn't know GeForce 6800 was capable of MarketingWord AA.

spekkio said:
I'm not Skyway who thinks that PC gaming is better because PCs have better hardware than consoles...
No. You are just a retard who thinks that I think that PC gaming is better because PCs have better hardware.

Or I guess I think that, say, Thief games have better stealth than anything on consoles because Thief requires GTX480 with a quad-core CPU

desocupado

Magister
chzr said:
morphological%20aa%20comparo.gif

i don't see any difference :M

The morphological looks uglier then no AA.

And if I get really close to the monitor and pay attention to the some parts of the picture, under the right lightning, when the moons are aligned, the supersampling looks a bit better.

I see no difference from no AA to 4x one.

desocupado

Magister
If I say that I am perfectly fine with playing games on 1280x1024 with no AA on a non-wide 19' or 17' (not sure) monitor, would you guys faint or something?

Also, I prefer non-wide-screen. Fuck that wide-screen shit

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
desocupado said:

You haven't experienced widescreen then. I wasn't sure how well I'd like it until I got one, but it really is a huge improvement. A standard screen feels like a huge step back in comparison now.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
desocupado said:
It's not so bad with (first person) games that properly adjust the FOV, otherwise it leads to headache-inducing tunnel vision (hi Borderlands; thankfully can be fixed with a quick ini edit). But, while I find it "cool", it hardly makes or breaks games. I played FO1 and FO2 with the high res patches without widescreen, only decided to use it now with FOT. The extra viewing space is nice.

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
desocupado said:
The morphological looks uglier then no AA.

And if I get really close to the monitor and pay attention to the some parts of the picture, under the right lightning, when the moons are aligned, the supersampling looks a bit better.

I see no difference from no AA to 4x one.
You need to see an eye doctor.

desocupado said:
If I say that I am perfectly fine with playing games on 1280x1024 with no AA on a non-wide 19' or 17' (not sure) monitor, would you guys faint or something?

No, thats completely normal. Wide screen is shit. My monitor goes up to 1600x1200 though :smug:.

DefJam101

Arcane
desocupado said:
That's what I do, except with AA on. CBA to upgrade my monitor

MetalCraze

Arcane
I have a widescreen monitor.
Having a bigger FOV = win

I can always go into 4:3 res when I feel like it too.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
desocupado said:

No, because until last year I was even fine with playing 1024x768, no AA on a 17inch CRT. Hate LCD and fucking hate widescreen. I only decided to upgrade my video card as knew it would be the only chance to make my computer useful for a few more years until the next technological leap with the new console shit.

MetalCraze said:
I have a widescreen monitor.
Having a bigger FOV = win

I can always go into 4:3 res when I feel like it too.

But since you play the butthurt defender of the 'old ways of gaming' then why do you need widescreen? AFAIK in ye olde days, games weren't made for widescreen.

MetalCraze

Arcane
In the old days games used 320x200 and 640x400 resolutions which are 16:10. And indeed look better on my widescreen and not stretched vertically like in 4:3 res

Try harder, newfag

Bruticis

Widescreen looks fugly on anything under 22" IMO. But 22" or up on a display and it's widescreen all the way. That said, I'm liking what I'm reading with the 6870/6850. If you keep in mind that these are mid range cards and not the the high end markets, they'll be a nice upgrade from my 5770's. I'm also reading they are scaling really well and have some nice, lower power numbers.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
MetalCraze said:
In the old days games used 320x200 and 640x400 resolutions which are 16:10. And indeed look better on my widescreen and not stretched vertically like in 4:3 res

Try harder, newfag

There was rarely stretching in old games as it was usually compensated for during programming. Wannabe oldfag....

MetalCraze

Arcane
commie said:
There was rarely stretching in old games as it was usually compensated for during programming.

Did you make it up yourself?

And what happened to old games aren't widescreen?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom