Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Free RPG engines/toolsets ("RPG makers")

sheek

Arbiter
I am looking for a engine to build an adventure I have in mind... I did some research and excluding from the multitude of JRPG ones I've narrowed it down to:

-DungeonCraft http://uaf.sourceforge.net/
-Explore RPG http://www.explore-rpg.com/ (not free)
-Runesword 2 http://www.runesword.com/rs2.html
-IsoWorld http://www.spritec.com/legacy/isoworld.html
-Hephaestus http://markdamonhughes.com/Hephaestus/index.php

Have you got any experience designing/playing adventures made with these? What are the disadvantages of each?

I have started with DungeonCraft (made a map with talking NPCs and encounters) and I think it's fine and allows me to do what I want (probably extend skill list using Special Item ownership checks) but people complain that the combat AI is still faulty and won't be fixed for a while.

Runesword was sucky to play and had quite limited editor last time I tried it, though I can't remember if that was version 1 or 2.

Isoworld was limited to I think 3 attributes and no skills last time I tested it and had limited interactions, even if it looks great. There is a scripting language for it but I think it would be a lot of work modifying it for my purposes. Not freeware, no community that I can see.

Hepahaestus looks too ugly, and I don't want to make my own art.

Any I missed? Would I just be better off sticking to the NWN toolset?

My requirements:
-mid range PC
-preferably 2D first person view or isometric exploration (Gold Box/Arkania)
-fairly extensive default character system, D&D 2nd ed would be the minimum
-some scripting ability to overcome hard-coding
-controllable party in combat (4+)
-easy map design, tilesets
-supports reading a fair amount of text (descriptions, dialog)
-limited branching conversation support
-'overland'/traveling interface, allowing random encounters that interrupt travel between areas
-hex/grid combat, turn-based
-support, forums etc
-extensive art resources (generic fantasy, my setting is Lankhmar)
-magic/spells don't matter since it's a low/zero magic adventure

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Can anyone recommend a few free games/campaigns/modules for such programs and/or RPGMaker.

Elzair

Cipher
Well, here are all the things I can find.

Adventure Creation Kit might be too old for you, but it does seem to be simple.

IT-HE Roleplaying Engine might be too primitive as well, but it might be worth a look.

Exult comes with a nice editor that could be used to create a new game (especially if you don't mind re-using Ultima sprites).

jClassicRPG, although it is 3-D, has a lot of what you seem to be looking for. However, I cannot testify to how playable the current product is or how usable the editor.

F.I.F.E might be too your liking, but I don't know how complete it is.

GemRB might be used to create a new RPG, but it is just a recreation of the Infinity Engine.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd make a modification to game than make new. Buy NWN or some other game with good toolset and make mod.

Elzair

Cipher
Konjad said:
I'd make a modification to game than make new. Buy NWN or some other game with good toolset and make mod.

That might be the best option if you cannot find a free solution. Personally, I am allergic to the idea of doing a company's job for them, but whatever floats your boat.

If you want to mod an exisiting game based on your requirements, I would suggest Temple of Elemental Evil. The Circle of 8 forum is a good place to look for more information.

sheek

Arbiter
I don't want to make a new game, I want a toolkit to make adventures.

Thanks Elzair though. Never heard of GemRB or jClassicRPG, look good.

DungeonCraft next update will be 1.0 and allow modification of ruleset (new skills, spells) so I will probably stay with that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom