Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Freedom Force vtTR dev diary at IGN

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Freedom Force versus the Third Reich; Irrational Games

<a href=http://pc.ign.com>IGN PC</a> got Freedom Force vs. the Third Reich lead artist <b>Lorne Brooks</b> as well as a couple other guys from the game's art team to do a <a href=http://pc.ign.com/articles/570/570017p1.html>developer diary</a> about all the neato new stuff they're doing for the game's graphics. Here's a fascinating paragraph or two on dynamic lights.<blockquote>I mentioned in my previous diary about the inclusion of new dynamic light sources which we have now added to objects, power effects and even some of characters themselves. For example El Diablo now has fire coming off his hands that also cast a light source.
<br>
<br>
The dynamic lights are really just point (or omni) lights that have a falloff setting which controls the spread of the light's affecting region. Any terrain or object vertices that lie within the falloff zone of the light will become illuminated from that light source. We call this falloff zone the 'light bounds' and this can be seen visually in-game as a sphere of influence when activated using debug mode.</blockquote>Ya don't say.

Hajo

Liturgist
Dynamic lights are not particularly new, but a nice addition to any game. Used propely they can add a lot of atmosphere.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Hajo said:
Dynamic lights are not particularly new, but a nice addition to any game. Used propely they can add a lot of atmosphere.

Does that mean DynamicLightAngband is one of your side projects now? :D

Hajo

Liturgist
Now you've got me :)

Not so much IsoAngband, but the H-World engine should get dynamic lights. Unfortunately my current implementation of the shadowcasting code is a litle bit too slow to be used for lots of moving light sources. But I'm confident I can get it right. I should put it on the roadmap for the 0.5 version :)

kris

Arcane
the most important part in FF is in the end how much and in what ways you can destroy the gameworld. Not to fortget what parts of the gameworld you can use in fights.

that made FF one of the games where it felt really fun to have the big strong guy with you, nothing makes you feel as an badass like throwing a car at your adversaries. :)

LlamaGod

Cipher
Exitium said:
Dynamic Light sources? Wow! This is truly the best RPG of all time.

Funny you say that sarcastically considering you get all excited when an RPG has pixel shaders.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Dynamic Light Sources is all fun and good, but will it have Jiggletech?

That's what I want to know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom