Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frustrated with KOTOR2

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Eyeball said:
But yes. If the writers had attempted to make the character's attachment to the PC even remotely plausible, it would make some semblance of sense. Instead it's just "Oh hi, we're linked through the Foz, don't ask me why, lol, but you're stuck with my sour, old ass for the rest of the game. Oh, and I'm a backstabbing bitch."

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_bond

Uninformed newfag.

Drakron

Arcane
Havoc said:

Uninformed newfag.

You DO realize the article is pretty much entirely based on KOTOR2 only?

gromit

Arcane
Kreia said:
I'm a totally unlikeable fuckface that nobody in their right mind would keep around, so I'll just make up some bullshit reason for why the exile should bare-minimum tolerate me in his party and justify it with magical Force dickery, save his groggy ass, and make it obvious that I know more than I've told him at any given point.
This, thus being your / the PC's best chance of figuring out WTF is going on. You aren't intended to "like" her, as the "omniscient player" or the PC - this is why there are cutscenes of her making moves behind your back, she berates you for every decision you make, and it's not exactly difficult to get her to admit her career experience in evil (and weakness.) Now, whether or not you appreciate that particular idea or its telling, as a member of the audience, that's a matter of opinion and taste.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Drakron said:
Havoc said:

Uninformed newfag.

You DO realize there's a section of Appearances and Sources?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
CrimHead said:
So I'm playing KOTOR 2. The writing is good. I like the writing. The characters, hey, they're perfectly fine. The gameplay, RPG elements, user interface, and character customization, however, are all shit. 100% consolized shit.

You're a fucking retard. The RPG elements and gameplay is decent to good. So is the character customization, except for the ugly faces, but that's what happens when you make a sequel to a bioware game on their engine. The writing and characters are what's utter fucking shit. Making Kreia the final boss so I can punch her fucking face in was the only redeeming part of that shitfest.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Eyeball said:
But yes. If the writers had attempted to make the character's attachment to the PC even remotely plausible, it would make some semblance of sense. Instead it's just "Oh hi, we're linked through the Foz, don't ask me why, lol, but you're stuck with my sour, old ass for the rest of the game. Oh, and I'm a backstabbing bitch."

She's not even a real character. She's just Avellone in drag.

"The character must be someone who can give voice to shit that bothers me or is something I really, really want to write about. Kreia is my mouthpiece for everything I hate about the Force, and then I let her rant." ~ Chris Fagellone

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Drakron said:
Havoc said:

Uninformed newfag.

The Force bond was a MAJOR theme in the original KotOR. Remember Bastila and Revan? If you want to blame anyone, blame bioware. And besides, I thought they handled that particular theme very well and it didn't feel forced at all.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fuck, what's with these newer posters and idiocy.

Drakron

Arcane
Havoc said:
You DO realize there's a section of Appearances and Sources?

* Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
* Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
* Darth Bane: Path of Destruction
* Darth Bane: Rule of Two (Mentioned only)
* Outbound Flight (Mentioned only)
* Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (retcon)
* Dark Forces: Jedi Knight
* Dark Empire II
* Survivor's Quest
* Edge of Victory II: Rebirth
* Inferno (Mentioned only)

One is a retcon, one is the novel version of what is retcon and a lot of that comes after KotOR2.

Also I suspect most used the Luke-Leia bond we see when the Death Star II is destroyed as a basis that KotOR2 bullshit.

In fact ...

Sources

* Tales of the Jedi Companion
* "Wizards of the Coast: The Dark Forces Saga, Part 5"
* "Kyle Katarn's Tale, Mission 4: Showdown on the Sulon Star"
* Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide
* The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia

Notes and references

1. ↑ 1.0 1.1 Visible Force powers are only a gameplay element.
2. ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 The Sith Lords: Conversations with Mical.
3. ↑ The Sith Lords: Conversations with Kreia.
4. ↑ 4.0 4.1 The Sith Lords: Conversations with Zez-Kai Ell.
5. ↑ The Sith Lords: Conversations with HK-47.
6. ↑ Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: Conversations with the One.
7. ↑ Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: Conversation with Bastila Shan in the Temple of the Ancients.
8. ↑ 8.0 8.1 Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
9. ↑ The Sith Lords: Conversation with the battered protocol droid on Dantooine.
10. ↑ The Sith Lords: Conversation with the Jedi High Council in the ruins of the Jedi Enclave.
11. ↑ The Sith Lords: Final conversation with Kreia.

Thanks for playing ...

Lockkaliber said:
The Force bond was a MAJOR theme in the original KotOR. Remember Bastila and Revan? If you want to blame anyone, blame bioware. And besides, I thought they handled that particular theme very well and it didn't feel forced at all.

No, there was a lot of BS with Bastila and Revan so called "link" as she used it as a excuse to why Revan was remembering Malak betrayal.

Revan assumed Bastila to be dead until he encounters her in the Temple that further evidences there was no link, just BS to keep Revan in the dark about who s/he was.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The Force bond in KotOR 2 is stronger than others, but that is also explained in the game, by the Exile having a talent for forming them. There is literally nothing to it other than it being master/apprentice bond except it's a lot stronger. And no matter how much you want to deny it, the apparent force bond between Bastilla and Revan was a major theme in the game. Stop being a moron.

The idea of a force bond hardly came out of nowhere. Jedi have the power to feel the emotions of others, and can feel other close jedi from great distances if they have a close bond. A force bond is just an extension of that idea taken it its extremity. If your gripe is that something in the force is invented for the sake of a story then you should just ignore everything in fiction. You might as well complain about Arcanum's Magic vs Tech dichotomy and how its obviously invented to force players to chose a polarizing side in a conflict.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Force bond is so trivial it's hardly worth harping about. With so many awful things in Kotor2's story and character development, it seems like a silly thing to complain about. Much worse are the high level faggotry of Atton and Kreia. The only good characters in 2 are the ones that came over from 1 (HK, Mandalore and the R2 ripoff).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Darth Roxor said:
Roguey said:
I hope the resident KOTOR expert chimes in on this. That fellow who played the first one seven times and the second one four and likely thought it got better each and every time he played it. He'd surely provide a definitive answer.

You bellowed?

You're all right, I meant the bitter, burnt-out remains of this polite and happy-seeming guy.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Mastermind said:
CrimHead said:
So I'm playing KOTOR 2. The writing is good. I like the writing. The characters, hey, they're perfectly fine. The gameplay, RPG elements, user interface, and character customization, however, are all shit. 100% consolized shit.

You're a fucking retard. The RPG elements and gameplay is decent to good. So is the character customization, except for the ugly faces, but that's what happens when you make a sequel to a bioware game on their engine. The writing and characters are what's utter fucking shit. Making Kreia the final boss so I can punch her fucking face in was the only redeeming part of that shitfest.

:yeah:

Best poster since Jim profit

I support your efforts bro! :bro:

See Crimhead, you should be playing this shit for the stellar gameplay, you dillema was wrong to begin with.

I have to allow myself another :yeah: at this stroke of genius

CrimHead

Scholar
Yeah I'm just going to read the LP. The gameplay is boring as fuck. I'm typically categorized as a storyfag around here, but I really can't get into a game with bad character customization. I care alot about combat, but if it's bad at least give me some good loot, an interesting setting, cool skills, and stats that actually matter--it'll all round out in the end. I really can't get into the Star Wars universe, either. For some I guess there's an element of nostalgia attached to it, but the problem is that I never liked it, even when I was a kid. I grew up watching TNG (suck it haters, I thought it was a p. good show when I was little) Star Wars just feels so... plebian :smug: /Serious Business

Drakron

Arcane
Mastermind said:
Force bond is so trivial it's hardly worth harping about.

I know, the only reason is that how the EU is just a pile of shit because everything that have Lucas"thing" on it automatic makes it as canon as it can get ... its just becomes utter ridiculous with Force Unleashed.

I just despite the argument because we have crap like the Glove of Vader and other REALLY stupid things that is Holocron canon were the only freaking no-canon is Star Wars Infinities and crossover appearances.

With so many awful things in Kotor2's story and character development, it seems like a silly thing to complain about.

Its part of a bigger issue for me, granted it is silly but its just it taint also taints the rest because of their canon policies.

Much worse are the high level faggotry of Atton and Kreia. The only good characters in 2 are the ones that came over from 1 (HK, Mandalore and the R2 ripoff).

HK was the same but the joke already run its course (not funny anymore) and none of those 3 needed to be there, Mandalore was just there for Mandalorian fanboys.

I agree with Kreia, I hated everything about the character ... Atton was pretty much like the rest, besides HK and Mandalore (that were there for fanservice) and T3-M4 that was there for the very important task to remind us Reven was the best and the game is not about you, its about Reven.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS SERIOUSLT I LIKED KOTOR2 BETTER BECAUSE THE WRITING WAS A LITTLE BETTER AND BECAUSE THE INFLUENCE THING ADDED A LITTLE C AND C NOTHING GREAT BOTH GAMES WERE RELATIVELY DECENT AND FORGETABLE DIVERSIONS

Silellak

Cipher
Roguey said:
Darth Roxor said:
Roguey said:
I hope the resident KOTOR expert chimes in on this. That fellow who played the first one seven times and the second one four and likely thought it got better each and every time he played it. He'd surely provide a definitive answer.

You bellowed?

You're all right, I meant the bitter, burnt-out remains of this polite and happy-seeming guy.
MetalCraze said:
And I completed KotOR... 7 times (YIKES! - but I tend to replay short RPGs that many times)
Exploding-head.gif

MetalCraze said:
KotOR1 was a fairy-tale too. It was a good game to spend some time on, especially when you need some "romantic" story
Exploding-head.gif
Exploding-head.gif
Exploding-head.gif
Exploding-head.gif
Exploding-head.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom