Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fuck!! Creative Assembly goes console

Fez

Erudite
If CA made a RTS out of it, it might not be half bad, Saint. ;)

whitemithrandir

Erudite
Actually, Sega has repeatedly assured its fans Creative Assembly will NOT be abandoning the PC market. A sequel to Rome: Total War is in the works and the next Total War game (85% likely will be set in the early-mid Napoleonic era) is already on the table. Of course, a developer known to make historically accurate (lorica segmenta wearing late legions aside and the magically invisible Arcani aside) games churning out Spartan: Total War (Hey, is that a hydra in that screenshot?) makes me cry.

Balor

Arcane
85% likely will be set in the early-mid Napoleonic era
Napoleonic era? I wonder they'll manage to make Russia not overpowered, and yet historically accurate :). Poor Napoleon was a great commander... but invading Russia was his worst mistake.
*Scratches head* On the other hand... I they'll remove frostbite damage in winter and ability to burn your own towns before enemy captures them - that would be a serious nerf. :D

whitemithrandir

Erudite
Balor said:
Napoleonic era? I wonder they'll manage to make Russia not overpowered, and yet historically accurate :). Poor Napoleon was a great commander... but invading Russia was his worst mistake.
*Scratches head* On the other hand... I they'll remove frostbite damage in winter and ability to burn your own towns before enemy captures them - that would be a serious nerf. :D

Hehe, I thought they handled Rome pretty well in Rome: Total War, which was supposed to be at the height of Roman power. Splitting it into 3 families (4, if you count the SPQR) culminating in an eventual civil war made playing one of the other factions quite fun - if you can outlast the early alliance, you can easily take advantage of the civil war and sack a few cities from right under Roman noses. CA did a decent job at balancing the factions; well, the ones that were meant to be playable, not the ones that were playable by downloading the all factions playable mod. If you tried to play Numidia or Scythia, prepare for an uphill skate.

Saran

Scholar
Or the parthians,while they were an official faction it seemed to take forever before i could build units capable of defending my territory, nevermind conquering my enemies.

I hope that they either fix the squalor problem in the expansion/sequel or remove it completely, once you get to a certain point you need whole armies just to keep your larger cities in line.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Hmmm... I never found Squalor to be that bad of a problem, for the Romans anyways. You just had to build the right buildings, and keep a few Town watches to keep the peace. Oh, yeah, and cut taxes. Definitely cut taxes and give them entertainment. That might be realistict, too. There was high unemployment in Roman urban centers and leaders routinely used public games to maintain good will.

Saran

Scholar
In that case you were very lucky, even playing as the Julii i had to keep the capital city full to the brim with Roman legionairies just to maintain control.

But i will say this, at least there wasnt a Pope, in M:TW i once made the mistake of capturing Rome, every other turn i would have to contend with an uprising lead by the papacy.

Im lucky i didnt have my windows open at the time or else my neighbors would have heard me shouting "BASTARD POPE, WILL YOU EVER FUCKING DIE!" :lol:

Seven

Erudite
Do you have plots? Hell haven't PC games always been a niche audience? God to love the internet, where you can say all sorts of facts, without a damn thing to back them up.

Don't bother asking for evidence; this joker just posts shit and claims it to be fact. It's not as annoying as it used to be. What is slightly more annoying is how he'll just slink a way when you turn up the heat. :wink:

Fez

Erudite
Saran said:
Im lucky i didnt have my windows open at the time or else my neighbors would have heard me shouting "BASTARD POPE, WILL YOU EVER FUCKING DIE!" :lol:

Perfect time to start up another game of M:TW, I'd say. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom