Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Future Games at Blizzard

gamefan

Scholar
I have played diablo 1+ hellfire(hellfire wasnt made by blizzard thogh) and they were both amazing games with a great atmpsphere.

I beat diablo 2 around 3 times single player and maybe 10-12 times on battle net with the expantion. Diablo 2 was kind of crappy to be honest, but it was still decent fun.

I havnt played warcraft 2 or its expantion in around 10 years, maybe more so i cant remember it all that well. But it was good.

Warcraft 3 is a game i played earlier this year. WC 3+ frozen throne are so god damn long, not all that good i think only like 3 campaigns were any good in the whole set.

BigWeather

Augur
Was Leonard Boyarsky acting as Lead World Designer of Diablo 3 known before now?

My excitement went way up on this news.

BigWeather

Augur
I am watching the live feed from the WWI in Paris. I was shocked when he was the panelist discussing world lore.

http://www.blizzard.com/wwi08/streams.xml
Main Stage feed

Though he is done talking, currently Art Lead Brian Morrisroe is talking -- but I bet they'll cut back to him later.

BigWeather

Augur
Wow, people are quick. I went to update Leonard Boyarsky's wikipedia entry which just ten minutes ago said "unannounced title for Blizzard" and it has since been updated to be Diablo 3. Wasn't one of you, was it? =)

Norfleet

Grump said:
Diablo II wasn't that great a game. Certainly not up to the standards of starcraft or diablo I. This is from somebody who beat it several times. Blizzard could have gone the better path of daring to make something thats actually new but its clear that they are playing it safe and milking all three franchises till they're bone dry.
You say this like things have changed. Blizzard has never been an innovator. Not a single one of Blizzard's games has ever really broken new ground. Blizzard is all about the shiny packaging that they wrap old concepts in. And the nerfing. Never forget the nerfing.

Destroid

Arcane
I think starcraft was pretty innovative in that it had 3 diverse teams. Up until that point every rts game I can think of had two very similar sides (and I have been playing them since dune2).

You also forgot:

Warcraft and starcraft tabletop wargames from games workshop <- this would be hilarious.

Diablo boardgame.

Diablo and Starcraft CCG.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Up until that point every rts game I can think of had two very similar sides (and I have been playing them since dune2).

well you forgot about dune2 "sequels": C&C and Red Alert. yeah I know - two races, but very different still.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Even Dune 2 itself had enough variance: Harkonnen got super-strong tanks and excellent vehicles and infantry early, Ordos had unique super-fast scouts and nerve-gas and the Atreides, I think, got a cool sonic tank.

May not sound like much but they all played differently, more differently than Warcraft 2 at any rate, much more.

What a great game Dune 2 is.

Raapys

Arcane
Yah, Dune 2 is awesome; just lacks the 'select multiple units' thing.

Anyway, Starcraft did take it to a new level. It's not just the different units, but also how the different races construct the units and buildings.

Destroid

Arcane
Dune2 has 1 unique units and 1 unique ability per faction and all identical buildings. CnC and red alert I'll concede had a variety of units... for some reason I remember dune2 and the warcrafts much better than the CnC games of that era.

I too tried to play dune2 not that long ago and gave up due to only selecting a single unit at a time :(.

Starcraft was so annoying with its 12 unit max selection >_<

Any of you people Dark Reign fans?

AzraelCC

Scholar
War Wind was the first RTS to feature different playing races, but it didn't have the polish of Starcraft, hence it faded into obscurity. I really wish Blizzard would take a chance at something new, or at least, something unorthodox. Firaxis did it with Alpha Centauri, and they didn't exactly fold. moreso Blizzard, with it's huge resources. I remember somebody asking them during the announcement of SC2: "how much budget do you have for SC2?"

The reply: "What budget? i.e. no limit"

Ausir

Arcane
Earth 2140 units were pretty different, and it came out before StarCraft. But only 2 factions.

Raapys

Arcane
Uhuh, there's over 100 job openings at Blizzard. I only see one unannounced project though, and that's the 'next-gen MMORPG'.

Raapys

Arcane
Possibly WoS for a scifi MMORPG, whcih there might still be an untapped market for considering how few there are.

I'm pretty sure it'll be WoW2 though, but that it's still a couple of years away.

Taskmaster

Novice
all i play is World of Warcraft and World of Warcraft Burning crusade other than that i dont really play any Blizzard games i might consider buying warcraft battle chest but right now with the prices of the current subscription of World of Warcraft im pretty low on money but i guess i could manage to get warcraft but im here to ask some of you is it any good? But i might rather buy World Of Warcraft Wrath of The Lich king instead

Taskmaster

Novice
Also i have starcraft i dont play that much though well i hope they dont make a world of warcraft II because i enjoy the one they have right now if they just would add more expansion packs its fine with me i just dont want a new world of warcraft

bullbert

Novice
Raapys said:
Dark Individual said:
Epic win.

People will keep buying this shit because of the name alone. There is nothing remarkable about those games, especially not Diablo.
Nonsense. Warcraft 2 was excellent because of atmosphere and, for its time, original and fun gameplay, and so was and still is Starcraft. Diablo 1 and 2 are excellent because of atmosphere and gameplay respectively.

Of course if you've got something against the whole hack'n'slash-hordes-of-enemies thing in general that sort of excludes you from having a meaningful opinion on the Diablo games.

So let's put it like this; there's a reason they actually have a name.
Ah, Warcraft 2. Gotta love those Goblin Sappers.

We've got explosives!

You old timers (such as myself) just have to remember that most of those console click monkeys, that complain about PC fanboys and their PC-only games, had not even been born yet when Blizzard was founded.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Starcraft was so annoying with its 12 unit max selection >_<
OMG NO U R JUST A NOOB
WHY DO YOU SUCK AT THE GAME SO BAD HUH?
YOU JUST RACK SKIRRU AND DISCIPRINE

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom