Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

G-String - HL2 mod cyberpunk FPS gets standalone release

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Jul 8, 2020.

1. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More than 12 years in development. You can try beta version of the mod on ModDB: https://www.moddb.com/mods/g-string

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2020
    • Brofist x 3
    • incline x 3
    • Informative x 3
    • Interesting x 2
    • Yes x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Schlock Educated

Schlock
    Damn I am glad this is actually coming out. I played the original version after seeing the trailer for this one and while the gameplay was frankly shit, the atmosphere kept me hooked for the whole game. I hope this manages to find some level of cult success, sorta like EYE did.

^ Top  
  3. Lemming42 Arcane

Lemming42
    Yeah I remember thinking the mod was interesting - shit level design and shit combat but very strong atmosphere of unsettling weirdness. This is worth a look.

^ Top  
  4. taxalot I'm a spicy fellow. Patron

taxalot
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    It looks like an interesting mod, but who the fuck thought this was a good name?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 3
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Inclined or declined from the alternative title?

• Funny Funny x 6
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Anthedon Arcane Patron

Anthedon
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Posting here so I don't forget it when it comes out.

^ Top  
  7. Spectacle Arcane Patron

Spectacle
    I need to see a third person screenshot of the main character before I can say if the title is appropriate or not.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    "Myo Hyori, a gifted Korean teenage girl"

With the name of the mod, I think a Vietnamese girl called Thong would be better.

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Not certainly what I expected from that name. EYE: Korean edition?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Schlock Educated

Schlock

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Nyx Novice

Nyx
    I played this mod a suuuper long time ago and it's not like that at all. The level design was awkward at times but other than that it was pretty much Half-Life 2: cyberpunk K-pop edition. The audio balance was also terrible so I never heard what any of the characters said, like ever, but the pumped up action segments with accompanying music more than made up for that. Looking forward to playing this new version when it comes out, pretty much all studios have moved on from this kind of gameplay so it will be refreshing to play something nostalgic like this again.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Out now.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. JDR13 Prophet

JDR13
    This looks like it's worth checking out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Schlock Educated

Schlock
    I played it for a few hours last night and am really liking it. Considering it's a mostly solo project, the level of detail and polish in every scene is amazing (although some parts, like the handful of cutscenes, still have a modlike/amateurish quality). In terms of gameplay it's nothing revolutionary, but it is fun. It's still basically an HL2 episode, but somewhat harder (on the "Hard" difficulty setting at least) and more open-ended (it's still linear, but I found a few parts where the level branches off in two or three directions with loading screens to different levels which connect back around to each other). There's more exploration, and some nice secrets (the usual ammo, health/armor, and a few chances to get new weapons early).
    Only real annoyances are a few parts where I was exploring but inadvertently transitioned to a new level (not sure if I could make it back the way I came), and a pair of janky sections about jumping between physics objects above toxic waste.
    After 6 hours I just started the 5th out of 15 chapters, so it isn't too short. Needless to say it blows other recent sourcemod-turned-products (HDTF and Prospekt) out of the water. Some screenshots

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. iqzulk Savant

iqzulk
    Dark'n'edgy pop piece with Myst 3: Exile's aestheticism, R9VOLUTION's environs and Planet Risk's color scheme.

P.S. Simply put, loud cultural noise.
    P.P.S. Reference galore made deliberately haphazard to get attention.

P.P.P.S. The original G-String (Beta) could likewise be described as Biosys + Chaser + fr-041: debris.

P.P.P.P.S. Frankly put. You fucking care?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. FEDSMOKER hellbound and dumb as fuck Patron

FEDSMOKER
    the comparisons to EYE do make some sense. the major difference here is that the english writing is actually coherent and easy to follow, and there are no obvious inspirations from 40k and such

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.