Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review GameBanshee Reviews Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The death cinematic is the only new one I actually like.

BG1's story and writing kept itself simple, and that was all for the best. Not a single critical plot dialogue would last more than 5-6 rejoinders, unless you asked Gorion and his counterpart (the dying mage at the maze, I forget his name) anything and everything - and they were clearly meant to be exposition repositories. The Nashkel Mines, Cloakwood, etc. are all more about having an excuse to go dungeon romping with a 'boss' fight at the end, and the Iron Throne building is only marginally better with the talking heads on each floor as you go up. That's why the Chapter monologues and cutscenes were actually welcome, injecting much needed visualisation that, for its rarity and brevity, would be very effective at holding the game together.

As long as you took BG1/2/TOB's story at that level of pomp and seriousness I think it worked very well; I think TOB's problems had a lot more to do with (1) a reduced scope which made the 'travel to X then Y then Z' structure badly paced, (2) again, a reduced scope and the corpulent self-aggrandisation of a setting that any sequel suffers from that necessitated all the Solar-talking and dream sequences, etc; (3) the limitations of high-level D&D, though I enjoyed it and I think it's great we have one IE title that provides it.
It's funny because I can actually compare the game to Fallout in terms of narrative delivery: barebones story with a huge world to explore, and a plot you piece together on your own through exploration. The game does make things much more obvious (walk into town and character X says HEY YOU ARE AN ADVENTURER GO DO X) but the lack of direction is still pretty refreshing. I just wish they had set it up better and given you clearer reasons for actually wanting to solve the problems along the Sword Coast. It definitely captures the feel of being a band of adventurers out in the wilderness, far from civilization, but like I said, it feels at odds with the rest of the Bhaalspawn stuff.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Project: Eternity
Have they announced anything about DLC content?

I'm expecting very lulzy "gay romance packs", "portrait packs", "+5 sword of ultra death" or something like that.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Tigranes, I am not sure why you say BG1 kept its writing simple.

In BG1, everyone talks in such an extended, lecturing manner over the most trivial of things, that it is anything but simple.

That sculptor near Nashkel could have simply said, "A man called Greywolf is coming to kill me. Could you protect me while I finish my sculpture, which I can't leave unattended?" No, instead, he rambles on and on, almost like the coffin maker in Planescape: Torment.

Even the two men giving you directions to Friendly Arm just couldn't keep himself brief at all.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I liked it. :oops:

baldur_5555_1354135801.jpg

EG

Nullified
Tigranes, I am not sure why you say BG1 kept its writing simple.

In BG1, everyone talks in such an extended, lecturing manner over the most trivial of things, that it is anything but simple.

That sculptor near Nashkel could have simply said, "A man called Greywolf is coming to kill me. Could you protect me while I finish my sculpture, which I can't leave unattended?" No, instead, he rambles on and on, almost like the coffin maker in Planescape: Torment.

Even the two men giving you directions to Friendly Arm just couldn't keep himself brief at all.

Ah, the Bethesda School of Dialog. :lol:

Wyrmlord

Arcane
sea According to MMXI, Baldur's Gate was trying to emulate a Gold Box-style "investigation" plot. Travel to troubled area, find the bad guys that are behind the troubles, defeat bad guys, discover written evidence leading you to next troubled area, and so on.
It basically was. You can see a huge shift between Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II in terms of the player character's importance to the plot. Yes, you were tied to it in Baldur's Gate, but that only became apparent near the end of the game and for most of it you were just investigating the truth behind the problems plaguing the area. Very low key stuff that slowly escalates. Even the mix between set encounters and random encounters was kind of close to many of the Gold Box games. It had its own charm I guess. It's just a whole let less EPIC and a whole lot less about the CHOSEN ONE with a whole lot less PERSONAL DRAMA than anything BioWare (and most other RPG developers) did afterwards. Removing the stuff about being a bhaalspawn, it would have made for an excellent Gold Box adventure.
Come to think of it, the Twisted Rune plotline (never completed) in BG2 was in the manner of this investigative style.

You start by investigating slavers, and find their connection to magicians.

You then investigate the murders and skinning in the Bridge District. There, again, you find some assistance being given by magicians of the Rune.

You find a note to be given to a man in Umar Hills. Probe him enough and he says the Rune will take care of you.

And eventually, you stumble across the portal to the Rune headquarters in Athkatla.

Of course, that's not how it actually happens, but it seems like it also builds on trying to probe deeper into problems plagueing a particular area.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^I think that quest is completed either in SimDing0's Quest Pack or in Unfinished Business.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That's fan fiction then, the Twisted Rune was never intended to be more than what it was.
http://social.bioware.com/profile.forum/forum/1/topic/13/index/7637945/4
Lukas Kristjanson said:
Twisted Rune: We mined the setting for every useable tidbit we could find, as the size of the game shows, and some got more extensive treatment than others. The Rune Assassins mentioned can be seen to allude to something larger, but sometimes that allusion is itself the goal. Wrap up every little detail and even a world that big can seem small. So yes, they were up to stuff, but no, there is no plot detailing it.

waywardOne

Arcane
Honestly, people who need everything wrapped up in a bow at the end are idiots. The world/setting/story is far more interesting when questions remain unanswered. I'll go further and say that one thing that really intrigued me was whether (or how much) anyone on the Council (of Six? Eight? w/e) was directly involved with the slavers. Having those loose ends gives me the feeling that there's more without spelling it out for me one letter at a time.

I love simding0 but that's one thing I wish he'd never touched.

MetalCraze

Arcane
You know that when something is getting Enhanced Edition it will be a grand rape.

Also remember - Beamdog is planning DLCs. More shit quality content to ruin the game for money - how can anyone refuse?

And then they will get to Baldur's Gate 2...

How long before Fallout gets enhanced?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Refresh your memory.

I watched the original after that one, it's linked in the related videos. Apart from being a little shorter and the change in art style, I don't see much difference.
Here's why there is so much butt hurt:

The new intro is worse than the old one. It doesn't matter if it's 99% as good. It would still be 1% worse.

So, if you accept the new one is worse (it doesn't matter how little the difference is), then you realize they are charging money for something that is worse and calling it an "enhanced edition". The cynicism is off the scales even for the modern game industry. They literally could have taken the old animation fucking resized it using windows movie maker and had a better product. This is ridiculous.

Morkar Left

How long before Fallout gets enhanced?
They might introduce dialogue banter and romances with Ian.

Love will be expressed through weapons on Burst mode.

I don't think they will stop there. They will not further rest till the combat is realtime with pause vats. It will still be inferior to F3 but at least it will make it playable and shows how fallout was really meant to be played. Finally you can feel the tension real time shooting provides and run away from Ians uzi bursts. It's gonna be awesome!

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
This gonna be good.
http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/04...-feature-350000-words-more-than-the-original/

Did you Like Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition? I did. If you agree you probably already know that Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition is currently being worked on at Overhaul Games. What you possibly didn’t yet know is the sheer size of the additional content that the remake will bring.

Producer and Writer Phillip Daigle revealed on his personal Twitter account that the team wrote 350,000 words for of new content, and they’re going to try to get some of those many lines voiced.

Black

Arcane
Man, quantity of words really improved the quality of dragon age.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
God damn it, I didn't know they were already working on defiling BG2. Now it's only a matter of time before they get to Torment. :decline:

Lancehead

Liturgist
Their contract was to make EEs of both BG and BG II, if I'm not mistaken. So them touching PST would depend on the sales of these two games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom