Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Gamedec Released

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
alternatively september is the most common birth month.
Are rpgs released in september because devs have good time over xmas and new year eve?
Or perhaps tapping into paternity leave?
I'm sure there's a pregger meme out there birthing brand new baby games in September.

LOOK! IT'S A RPG!

Nah man... that's a VN... see it ain't got a combat thingy.

FUCK!!! My legacy is ruined.

Get back in there man and knock up another game. Maybe next year.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Wait until you run into these gamers:
VM.
Mobile111.jpg

I should have put that in the "other games" section.

I really haven't committed to DE or Gamedec. Why would I buy them, because they aren't traditional CRPGs. The lack of combat I guess but would it hold my interest like say a Kings Quest or Legend of Kyrandia game. Both look like dystopian futures. That'll depress ne eventually. I'll watch more vids.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This game is so fucking unpolished on release:
upload_2021-9-18_19-25-52.png

it's just one example of this crap. It's all over the place. And the devs whine on steam forums "we're just a small indie studio, can't have everything perfect". Funny how basically 2 dudes create Stasis (IMO comparable to this game), and it's pretty much perfect, but being a whole "indie studio" makes it impossible to QA text in a game that's all about text.

It's a real shame, because the world is quite interesting. The gameplay is not however - it's a visual novel with some walking added on top, pointleslly IMO. I'll probably try to finish it anyway, but overall I'm disappointed.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fuck this game, it wants the player to read such crap:
A1XoX1I.png

No in-game skill to make it look normal. If you're a programmer, the pc will say "I could create a script to translate it automatically, but I don't want to draw attention". How about running it purely client side, |gender"Mr.","Ms") Gamedec great programmer with a brain link? Seriously, what's wrong with the devs?

The longer I play the shittier this thing feels.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Honestly, it's not a buggy piece of Unity shit.

Which is a huge plus at this point, given how everything else is a buggy piece of Unity shit.

Plus PC Gamer hates it.

I'm having a really good time. The second mini adventure was really fun.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
A1XoX1I.png

No in-game skill to make it look normal.

No in-game skill? Great!

I haven't played the game, so maybe you're right about the other points you made about the gameplay, but this definitely is a non-issue. Always appreciate when a game lets you use player skill or effort to solve a problem rather than a built-in mechanic or die-roll. Reading leetspeak is not particularly skillful, sure, it's more of a daunting cringe experience, but this is a good sign that at least this bit of gameplay is not unnecessarily trivialized.

Disagree with you Rean. Player skill would still be reading the text, undestanding what it means, and acting accordingly. There is enough of that in the choices you are presented, sadly game is terrible on giving you information you are supposed to base your choice on. T
Having to strain my old eyes to read shit I didn't even found cool when I was 11 is not. Especially in a game where you have professions like "Programmer". If I had to read such crap irl I would make a script to fix it right away. The in-game explanation for why you can't use in-game skill, that the player has invested points in, is just a horribly written cop-out. This sequence feels like writers were so enamoured by their creation, that they really wanted the players experience it, in the one and proper way - their way.

The way this game presents information to you is my biggest gripe. The fabled deduction system is just box ticking, making sure you talk to as many people. It even summarizes the conversations into small tidbits, clues, so you don't have to think too much about what was said in any given conversation. It would be much better if you had the whole conversation log for each clue, so that you could get back to it at any time and make your own conclusions. Now that would be the good use of player skill, as it would allow you to actually play the detective. I'm still of opinion that relevant stats should provide additional hints as to resolution and understanding of the clues, so that stats matter. If stats don't matter, then you have an adventure game on your hand, not an RPG.

Small digression:
I generally don't like involving "player skill" too much. Imagine, on a systems with more traditional attributes you roll a char with low intelligence. In the game world you encounter, let's say a cypher. You, the player, being a person of reasonable intelligence, can decode it. However, the idiot you're suppsoed to Role Play at should not. So allowing player skill to override your character skills removes the meaning from the character system. And if it is ok to use player skill for intelligence, then why not for strenght or dexterity? (The simple answer here being is that computers lack periferals for easily performing test of those qualities).

I also don't see anything non-trivial in this game. It's usual min-maxing tripe, pick an approach and stick to it, to get to the highest tiers of your chosen tree. It's nice that puzzles have a lot of solutions, but lots of them seem not to make a difference. Here's an example: first investigation I incorrectly deduced to go to Paradise Beach, due to not stick to one direction of interrogating the whiny boy, so never learning the final secret. The moment I logged into PB, immediately I get info where the young miscreants actually went. As far as I can tell, that made zero impact on what happens in the world.

Anyway, just as the devs responded to my steam review, you of course have right to your opinion. If you like and enjoy this game, great. I consider it at best a mediocre game, plagued by techincal issues. At worst, I feel this is shite that will be sold for 5 quid come the next steam sale.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom