Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review GamePro likes KOTOR II story

Jed

Cipher
That's so BioWare: I could influence HK & Canderous to be (somewhat) good, but I can't turn Mission evil?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Yeah. It's a horrible design decision to have characters be consistent and stay true to themsleves. Both HK (whose a stupid droid) and Canderous always remain true themslves. You don't turn Canderous "sorta" good and HK is auto loyal to you b/c you created him and is his master. What a doofus. You sound like Exitium. Not everyone should turn evil (or good) just because you 'tell" them to.

dipdipdip

Liturgist
I like the way it works in KotOR 2. Trust is earned through influence. Just as there's persuasion checks in KotOR, there's influence checks in the sequel. When talking to party members, they're not going to disclose much if you haven't gotten in good with them. The more influence you have on them, the more they'll like you, share with you, and follow in your footsteps (concerning alignment, anyway).

Of course, it works both ways. You can have a party member who disagrees with your perspective and a rift will grow between you. A party member of mine, Kreia, doesn't seem to like me. I'm acting the noble, ever-helpful, horse-riding hero, and she sees it as a negative thing - that I'm only helping the helpless become even more so.

Also, on a side note, I've see other "checks" show up in the dialogue, such as Wisdom, Computer, and Repair. Your party also seems to react differently to you according to your alignment.

Jed

Cipher
Volourn said:
Yeah. It's a horrible design decision to have characters be consistent and stay true to themsleves. Both HK (whose a stupid droid) and Canderous always remain true themslves. You don't turn Canderous "sorta" good and HK is auto loyal to you b/c you created him and is his master. What a doofus. You sound like Exitium. Not everyone should turn evil (or good) just because you 'tell" them to.
And you sound like a typical BioWhore: Linerity is good. Not effecting the game world is good. NPCs should just be extra bodies for combat. Multiple paths is exponential work.

And yeah, Bastilla. There's a consistent character: One minute constantly lecturing the PC about the dangers of the Dark Side, the next she's a Dark Side flunkie, and then all you have to do to turn her back to the Light is to tell her that you love her, even if there was never any pursuit of a relationship prior. To be consistent to the Star Wars universe, the power of the Dark Side should be able to tempt people. It's not about flipping a switch, but little by little. Mission is a young, impressionable Scoundrel, why can't I "cultivate" her to become my evil apprentice? If Juhani can be turned from the Dark Side in a single conversation, why can't she be turned back? Why can't I recruit Carth's son to strike down his father? Simple: Because (so far) BioWare sucks at Evil.

And by the way, Volourn, you're an anti-discussion smug dummy.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"If Juhani can be turned from the Dark Side in a single conversation"

Who says I approved of that decision? I lived with it; but it surely wouldn'thave been the way I handled it.

"And you sound like a typical BioWhore: Linerity is good"

Ahh.. Youa dmit you have no argument here sicne you flail about this lie.

Linearty is neither good or bad; but nice try. In the case of Mission it would simply be wrong for her to simply fall to the dark sie just ebcause the PC tells her to.

Batsila is a different story. She is conflicted from the very start. Mission isn't conflicted. She has a strong sense of "right" and 'wrong. You know, soemtimes it *is* a good thing for characters to have a blakc and white view in the world. Not all characters be faux deep.

"Not effecting the game world is good."

Of course, if you ahd played KOTOR you'd know there is AMPLE oppurtunities to effect the agme world but hey be delusional if you want. though you should play the game first.

Jed

Cipher
Volourn said:
"If Juhani can be turned from the Dark Side in a single conversation"

Who says I approved of that decision? I lived with it; but it surely wouldn'thave been the way I handled it.

"And you sound like a typical BioWhore: Linerity is good"

Ahh.. Youa dmit you have no argument here sicne you flail about this lie.

Linearty is neither good or bad; but nice try. In the case of Mission it would simply be wrong for her to simply fall to the dark sie just ebcause the PC tells her to.

Batsila is a different story. She is conflicted from the very start. Mission isn't conflicted. She has a strong sense of "right" and 'wrong. You know, soemtimes it *is* a good thing for characters to have a blakc and white view in the world. Not all characters be faux deep.

"Not effecting the game world is good."

Of course, if you ahd played KOTOR you'd know there is AMPLE oppurtunities to effect the agme world but hey be delusional if you want. though you should play the game first.
I can't understand a fucking word you say. Learn to type, then try again. Next :arrow: :roll:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I can't understand a fucking word you say. Learn to type, then try again. Next"

Learn to read English before joining an English focused board. Next.

P.S. Don't be sad because I keep turning you down for a night of sex and NWN.

errorcode

Liturgist
dude, you're butchering of the english language staggers the mind and you can sit there and tell someone else to learn to read english? that's fucking priceless...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"you're butchering of the english language"

One who can't even capaltilize the first word of a sentence should not throw stones at others. Sentences, by the way, end with one period not three. It's very easy to criticize others' writing on message board as less than 1% of the people on this board including myself type even close to properly. You are obviously not one of those 1%.

Spazmo

Erudite
You type properly? You, president of the semi-colon fan club? Setting aside the utter worthlessness of what you're usually saying, the way you say it could probably be argued to be classified as assault on the minds of English speakers worldwide.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Volourn said:
Sentences, by the way, end with one period not three.

Volourn, I take it you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling, so I'll try to explain this one to you. It's called an ellipsis, and it is used when supressing words in a sentence. So in ending the sentence with such a structure it implies he had more to say on the subject, but wasn't going to continue typing any more. Learn the language before trying to bitch at others Volourn, especially with your piss poor grammar, typing, and spelling.

errorcode

Liturgist
Transcendent One said:
Arguing with Volourn on any issue is useless, as she simply starts selectively ignoring all areas where she is getting pwned.
If i had a cookie, you would have just won it :)

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I have to take Volourn's side on this issue. You just can't expect every single NPC in the game to be Tabula Rasa.

Jed

Cipher
Who said every single NPC? How about one or two? I even made some examples of who from the existing NPC pool might be turnable. Did you even read the thread, Rex? Fuck, they could've at least given you a evil Jedi NPC--maybe that twilek from the Sith academy?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Exitium said:
I have to take Volourn's side on this issue. You just can't expect every single NPC in the game to be Tabula Rasa.

Why not? If I'm the UBER JEDI HERO or some such, why can't I use my UBER JEDI MIND POWAHZ and other abilities to make damned sure those drawn to me do what I want?

Then again, I'll settle for being able to kill the stand outs who don't agree with whatever I'm doing.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Yay, you got my quote! There are some excellent quotes from that show, I look forward to trying some more of them out when the context arises.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom