Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GamePro previews Fallout 3

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://www.gamepro.com/microsoft/xbox36 ... 6388.shtml

GamePro is one of the dumbest sites I've ever seen and thus its FO3 preview deserves a special thread.

Now that we've seen a new and improved version, we think Fallout 3 may be a surprise critical hit and top-seller...in other words, the BioShock of 2008.
Was that a compliment?

Developed by the same minds behind hit role-playing game The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Fallout 3 is an action-RPG...
Well, at least everyone seems to agree that FO3 is an action RPG.

Ghouls come in three varieties: harmless, "Feral" ghouls who consume human flesh, and "Glowing Ones" who absorb radiation and heal other zombies.

...many of the battles and events are unscripted and random. For instance, you'll meet a friendly companion called "Dogmeat" sometime early in the game, but the time and place of that meeting depends on chance.
Translation: regardless of where you go, you'll run into Dogmeat within the first 10 min. Like totally randomly and unexpectedly. After all, major and overhyped features like an amazing dog-that-can-actually-die are never scripted.

Yet despite the slick first-person combat, Fallout 3 is first and foremost a role-playing game.
A mandatory "even though it looks like a shooter, it's an RPG because it has stats!" statement.

Boosting your Strength and Heavy Weapons abilities opens up options such as this nigh-impenetrable armor and wicked minigun.
I'm getting dizzy from all the options. Can u help me maek a charactar plz?

Judging by the success of Oblivion, we wouldn't have it any other way.
This sentence should be a proud recipient of the prestigious Bethesda Curative Fluids award.

Grindstone_82

Novice
FO3 looks promising enough, considering how few quality RPGs have been released for the single player market these last years. People aren't replaying 8 year old games for nothing

They obviously didn't preserve the catchiness of the old Fallouts that made up some of their charm, instead going for the more bleak looks of the TES games (that's nothing positive). Am I the only one who's reminded of Giger when looking at those character sketches?

That said, I'm looking forward to it. They might finally release a game that has a little more role, and, well, more playing in it as well

Starwars

Arcane
One of the comments:

they even have the 1920's ad's like biohock had with, you know the out dated flyer's that displayed the different powers, check the website its almost like bioshock

Sad and amusing at the same time.

As for Fallout 3? Well, I think it will Bethesdas best yet in terms of c&c and that stuff for sure, though of course that's not saying much. But the unfortunate thing is that the good stuff seems to be buried under a mountain of "wtf are they thinking?" decisions.

Whenever I look at the game, I get the feeling that we're looking at the Elder Scrolls with Fallout sort of pasted onto it.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Thanks VD for bringing another dose of dumbfuck straight into my brains. The writer saying "lots of unscripted stuff" followed by an example that is clearly scripted, with a couple of variables to make it "random", made me laugh/cry.

BioShock fans, take note: Fallout 3 may be your next obsession.

THat says a lot.

. Much like real life, the mysteries quickly begin to stack up. Where did your father disappear to? What's happening outside the Vault? What's the secret behind the Vault's enigmatic Overseer?

Much like real life?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Comedy gold. thanks VD for crushing my hopes in humanity but making me laugh at the same time.

Fallout 3: We'll Have Your Fluids!

fastpunk

Arbiter
Starwars said:
One of the comments:

they even have the 1920's ad's like biohock had with, you know the out dated flyer's that displayed the different powers, check the website its almost like bioshock

Hah, this should be a common situation in the following months. Next-gen gamerz complaining how FO3 ripped off Bioshock's 'trademark' illustrations. :lol:

Lumpy

Arcane
Kingston said:
. Much like real life, the mysteries quickly begin to stack up. Where did your father disappear to? What's happening outside the Vault? What's the secret behind the Vault's enigmatic Overseer?

Much like real life?
Where did my glasses disappear to? What's happening outside my basement? What's the secret behind the school's enigmatic bully?

Section8

Cipher
Boosting your Strength and Heavy Weapons abilities opens up options such as this nigh-impenetrable armor and wicked minigun.

In original Fallout, Nigh-Impenetrable Armour boosts you!

What a crazy messed up world...

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The best part about Fallout is that people are reading in it whatever they want.
One sees a sequel true to Fallout, another sees Bioshock, and both are happy.

Ironically, someone who identified as never having played the originals noticed that the new game looks very different.

PS:

By the way, can someone tell me how Tactics' char creation differs from Fallout? Because apparently it's unbelievably superior.

Lingwe

Liturgist
That's the most uninformative preview that I have ever read.

The comments make up for it though.

Chork

Scholar
Claw said:
PS:

By the way, can someone tell me how Tactics' char creation differs from Fallout? Because apparently it's unbelievably superior.
It's pretty much exactly the same aside from a handful of eye-candy options and the Ironman toggle.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Claw said:
Apart from playable deathclaws/ghouls/supermutants and stats that can go higher than ten? None, that I can remember. Tactics was focussed on combat so that is obviously superior in an RPG-char-gen.

Ghoulem

Erudite
It's at times like these I consider the possibility that Fallout Tactics had more roleplaying-content than Fallout 3 will have.

Amon Gesoto

Educated
Everytime I read the comments for one of these previews that little bit of me that still holds on to some form of hope for humanity dies a little bit more.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
yeah this looks kool... & the post-nuke war setting keeps it somewhat grounded in modern day possibilities. now what about the online multi-player?

Wow, just what in the fucking hell are these kids doing with their time these days? I mean good fucking lord... *slams the keyboard repeatedly in fear and desperation thinking about where the world is going*

MetalCraze

Arcane
hmm not a bad idea actually. the only thing F3 needs is an online multiplayer - you know - running around shooting other players with slo-mo vats (more like aids). with it the retardation of fallout franchise will be complete. but it won't happen unfortunately, because online gaming is something bethesda can't do at all.

Comrade Hamster

Liturgist
Sid Shuman said:
The meat-and-potatoes combat looks impressive, too, with miniguns and rocket launchers that will make shooter veterans sit up and take notice. Yet despite the slick first-person combat, Fallout 3 is first and foremost a role-playing game. Upgrading your equipment and choosing the best skills are as important as having a speedy trigger finger (emphases mine).
Shooter veterans? W...T...F? Why are you trying to appeal to THAT crowd in particular for a Fallout game? Is the "insipid boomfest" crowd your primary audience? And seeing as how the combat system mechanics are supposed to be working "behind-the-scenes" and beyond direct player control, what does a speedy trigger finger have to do with anything?

MetalCraze

Arcane
I like his statement that role-playing is upgrading your equipment and choosing the best skills more.

Che za bazar!!! FALLOUT the BEST v lybuh formah!!! Vu kogda nibyt buli v Chernobele???!!! Ya tam RODILSIA!!! S.T.A.L.K.E.R and FALLout - the best in the world!!!! Sosite kto protiv!!!!

best comment EVAR

Texas Red

Whiner
Ktonibut zastrelite menia! Kakdanibut budit shtonet HAROSHEIA bakazona pra Fallout? Kakoi hui mne do FPS, kazhdaia 2 igra FPS iept.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
The Walkin' Dude said:
Ktonibut zastrelite menia! Kakdanibut budit shtonet HAROSHEIA bakazona pra Fallout? Kakoi hui mne do FPS, kazhdaia 2 igra FPS iept.
Got dumb dialoge options because of low intellegence?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom