Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gamer’s Bill of Rights

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
1. A gamer may not injure a publisher or, through inaction, allow a publisher to come to loss.
2. A gamer must obey orders given to him by publisher, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A gamer must protect publisher's rights as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

oh shit, wrong
read next and rejoice

1. Gamers shall have the right to return games that don’t work with their computers for a full refund.
2. Gamers shall have the right to demand that games be released in a finished state.
3. Gamers shall have the right to expect meaningful updates after a game’s release.
4. Gamers shall have the right to demand that download managers and updaters not force themselves to run or be forced to load in order to play a game.
5. Gamers shall have the right to expect that the minimum requirements for a game will mean that the game will play adequately on that computer.
6. Gamers shall have the right to expect that games won’t install hidden drivers or other potentially harmful software without their consent.
7. Gamers shall have the right to re-download the latest versions of the games they own at any time.
8. Gamers shall have the right to not be treated as potential criminals by developers or publishers.
9. Gamers shall have the right to demand that a single-player game not force them to be connected to the Internet every time they wish to play.
10. Gamers shall have the right that games which are installed to the hard drive shall not require a CD/DVD to remain in the drive to play.

http://www.stardock.com/about/newsitem.asp?id=1095

Atari an EA move to consoles already. Viva la revolution!

Hory

Erudite
1-10 = Gamers shall have the right to be consumerist pussies.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Gamers already have the right to expect and demand. What they need is for those expectations and demands to be fullfilled. So, as much as I agree: back to the drawing board and don't come back until you've written something that does not resemble a eleven year old's ramblings about expecting the right to demand to stay up late.

Mareus

Magister
Gamer has the right to pirate games in order to test them before buying, because our marketing department will lie and bribe it's way to good reviews, and demos are often not a good representation of the whole product.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
peace.jpg

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
11. If its not free I'm not buying it.

This is just a PR stunt though. That list pretty vague. What defines a "finished state"? What's a "meaningful update" and why would I expect them after release. If its in a released state why would I need anything on top other than possible bugfixes? Is this Enhanced Edition stuff? Is there a minimum fps for "runs adequately"?

The other stuff I'm down with though.

J1M

Arcane
That list could probably be paired down to about 5 items. There are a lot that are basically "DRM is bad".

That said, I love the implication of this list that gaming only happens on a PC.

Let's say this is just being done to get more sales, if they stick to it that is a good thing and should be encouraged.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
My variant
1. Gamers shall have the right to return games they don't like for 3-day period with compesation minus period rent sum.
2. Game should be not causing internet or any connection without gamer's acceptance. Also it should not be required if it's not needed for gameplay.
3. Gamers should have full information concerning hardware resources they need for game. This includes minimum hardware to launch game, for playing it adequately(b), and top notch req. All equipment type should be listed.
4. Gamers should be warned of any third-party tools forced for installation on computer for game just from plain view of box and when installing said tools, the reason for this should be described. Mentioned tools should be easy to delete, no restart of computer required and removed from computer by default after uninstalling the game.
5. Gamers should have a possibility to aquire verbatim or digital copy of game they own for five times.

(b)For FP-game it's average of 50 fps, for top-down it's 25fps.

Tear that apart. And sorry, English is not my first.

Elaboration on 4: Any publisher that chooses to embed DRM should be integrated computer chip in brain not enjoy rape he causes to consumer.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
1. Gamers have the obligation to pay $200 if they actually expect the rights listed above.

2. Gamers have the obligation to act like mature adults (possible exceptions apply for thsoe whoa rne't actually adults).

3. Gamers have the obligation to move on from games they dislike and don't harp on x game's 'failures' for years on end.

4. Gamers have the obligation to criticize in a civil manner, and stop acting like cavemen.

5. Gamers have the obligation to understand that if you attack a developer or publisher that they should ahev the right to attack you right back.

6. Gamers have the obligation to check their greed, selfishness, and 'me me me ness' to an actual reasonable level. ie. Don't pay $50 for a game, and expect to get the same level of service that you'd get buying that $25,000 vehicle.

7. Gamers have the obligation not to steal games whether the like the game or not.

8. Gamers have the obligation not to blame the publisher, and develoepr for fellow gamers' need to steal soemthing they don't need.

9. Gamers have the obligation to realize that games are not neccessities, and therefore not everybody is required to have them.

10. Gamers have the obligation to STFU.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Consumers should have no right to return wares in 14-day period. Thou should not be pussies and act like mature adults. Also consumers aren't required to buy goods coz it's not nessesarily to have them to be alive. And being alive is their choise as well, it's not demanded.

Zeus

Cipher
Was anyone else reminded of Graham Nelson's "A Bill of Player's Rights"?

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.int-fiction/browse_thread/thread/17f828b155297533

Instead of being an anti-DRM (and, coincidentally, anti-Steam) manifesto,
Bill of Player's Rights was a list of demands aimed at interactive-fiction game designers.

3. To be able to win without experience of past lives

Suppose, for instance, there is a nuclear bomb buried under some anonymous
floor somewhere, which must be disarmed. It is unreasonable to expect a
player to dig up this floor purely because in previous games, the bomb blew
up there. To take a more concrete example, in "The Lurking Horror" there is
something which needs cooking for the right length of time. As far as I can
tell, the only way to find out the right time is by trial and error. But
you only get one trial per game. In principle a good player should be able
to play the entire game out without doing anything illogical.

I had to quit Lurking Horror because of that puzzle. Everyone tells me it was a fun game, but I wouldn't know, because in the Cthulhu Mythos, burritos don't come with instructions.

Dire Roach

Prophet
1. Gamers have the right to play any game for free as long as nothing is physically removed from an inventory.
2. Gamers have the right to a pretty box, a hefty manual, and a cloth map when they desire to physically remove something from an inventory in exchange for money.
3. Gamers have the right to avoid purchasing a game until it can be bought at bargain bin prices.
4. Gamers have the right to avoid purchasing a game in anticipation of an Enhanced Edition release.
5. Gamers have the right to cry about the sad state of the gaming industry.
6. Gamers have the right to mod the hell out of an existing game in order to make it "bearable".
7. Gamers have the right to start their own indie developer studio in an attempt to prove that they can do a better job than the mainstream industry.
[/troll]

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
Dire Roach said:
1. Gamers have the right to play any game for free as long as nothing is physically removed from an inventory.
Those also have the right to remain silent as anything they say can be used against them in the court of law.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom