Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games where you uncover mysteries of lost ancient space civilization

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Obviously only contenders need to have impressive graphic and scale, imagine going into a chamber of several kilometers where there's underground ancient city. Are there even such games of at least AA quality, possibly AAA quality?

Arbiter

Scholar
Doom 3 - ancient Martian civilization that fought demons before you
UFO: Enemy Unknown - you learn that life on Earth was created by aliens
X-Com: Terror from the Deep - an ancient underwater alien race is awakened by a signal sent from Cydonia
StarCraft - Xel'naga
Alpha Centauri: Alien Crossfire - you learn that the planet was created by an alien race named Progenitors who later split into 2 hostile factions

Sorry, I only now noticed that this question was posted under adventure gaming.

I believe the Dark Seed series qualifies and at least some of Lovecraftian adventure games.

Last edited:

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
X-Com: Terror from the Deep - an ancient underwater alien race is awakened by a signal sent from Cydonia
StarCraft - Xel'naga
Alpha Centauri: Alien Crossfire - you learn that the planet was created by an alien race named Progenitors who later split into 2 hostile factions

I believe the Dark Seed series qualifies and at least some of Lovecraftian adventure games.
It doesnt have to be strictly adventure game(i just felt that adventure games would fill this criteria best), any rpg or arpg or just regular game themed like that is welcome too. I feel like mass effect had not enough of this and it was poorly done, with more of a hectic shooting game than actually being in awe of actually exploring million year old ancient advanced civilization remnants of gargantuan scale.

Ryzer

Arcane
StarCraft - Xel'naga

It doesnt have to be strictly adventure game(i just felt that adventure games would fill this criteria best), any rpg or arpg or just regular game themed like that is welcome too. I feel like mass effect had not enough of this and it was poorly done, with more of a hectic shooting game than actually being in awe of actually exploring million year old ancient advanced civilization remnants of gargantuan scale.
Subnautica? I guess.
Nier
Horizon Zero Dawn

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
I'm not aware of any new games with that premise, only 2 oldies come to mind.

Schizm: Mysterious Journey
Impressive graphics no, but great art direction
The game takes place in 2083, a habitable planet has been discovered in a distant galaxy, they named the planet Argilus, and it is about a planet with obvious signs of a lost civilization.

I'm not sure if it fits your criteria, but in URU you get to explore the underground lost city of D'ni

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I've always felt there's a lot of scope for that sort of thing. I've mentioned before that Vance's "Dying Earth" scenario would be ideal for it: in that scenario, Earth has been around for hundreds of thousands of years, giant space empires (often encountering aliens and their technology) have risen and fallen several times, both technology and magic have risen to dominance and fallen several times, and there's an unknown amount of archaeological remains of all that, underground facilities, etc., from all those periods, dotted around.

In fact, one of the DE stories itself is about a vast underground museum built by an advanced civilization roundabout the middle of that whole timeframe, maintained by what we would now call an AI, housing untold wonders, that the protagonists stumble on and accidentally destroy. There's another DE-period story about a "lost city" out in the wilds, built as a science utopia, whose inhabitants had forgotten how to use the tech and had fallen to a petty tribalism around coloured tokens - very typical sardonic Vance :)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Martian Memorandum.

It's a point 'n' click thingie released around the time of The Dig, so it got overshadowed.

Two guys (three?) explore ancient ruins on Mars.

Iucounu

Educated
Crysis has a single but nice underground level. When Crysis 2 was announced I hoped for more like it, instead we got New York. :negative:

Mass Efect Andromeda has several undergrounds, but uninspiringly done.

Last edited:
Heaven’s Vault sort of meets the requirements.

Primordia, although not based on interplanetary travel, also does the “uncover the secrets of a lost civilization” thing very well.

But yes, The Dig is the obvious one here.

Spukrian

Savant
The Solus Project. Single player survival game. A big part of it is exploring ruins of a dead civilization.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I'm not sure if it fits your criteria, but in URU you get to explore the underground lost city of D'ni
The Myst series in general fits this description, minus the whole space part.

Otherwise, I guess I'd say the Gateworld games and the fan-made Stargate SG-1 adventure game, maybe. Both cases are less about the lost civilizations and more about general exploration though.

Dr1f7

Scholar
Amnesia: Rebirth kinda has this going for it, you should really give it a shot

edit: actually thinking more about it, rebirth probably really is the closest to the game you're looking for

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
+1 for The Dig. Fantastic game.

There's also Cydonia / Lightbringer IIRC:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom