Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with good ship-to-ship combat? Sea, space or other.

deuxhero

Arcane
X4: Foundations. Every ships relies on a role rather than hard rock>paper>scissors trinity. All combat roles overlap between multiple ship types, and there's even a few that break class in mechanics (for example the Terrans have a corvette that's more of a superheavy fighter than an actual corvette). You can pause the game at any time and give rather complex orders to your fleet. Since the enemy actually has an economy and limited ships, it's an entirely valid strategy to cripple an enemy by attacking their shipping/mining (either destroying them outright or by capturing them to use yourself) or launching hit and run attacks on outlying factories to peel away response groups. These things actually working and having a point helps add variety to battles while making some craft types more viable (burst damage equipped corvettes are really good at running into enemy territory, locating miners/traders, and killing them before reinforcements arrive).

Gostak

Educated

Debatable if it fits in this thread (honestly not really) because this is not a focus point/ core or sophisticated feature (it's pretty simplistic, still can be risky for you, though and feels fair; some ships for harder glory level missions also are invulnerable to this)
but it's in and the game is ace one way or another.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Debatable if it fits in this thread (honestly not really)
No need to worry about purity. I know I don't.
Only reason why I haven't included Bounty Train into this thread is because I haven't seen any evidence of train vs train combat encounters (I should play the damn game to find out.).

Gostak

Educated
It can be 1vs1 or squadrons:

https://github.com/tuomount/Open-Realms-of-Stars#deep-space-combat
Also, add to that what the developer wrote in a post from the end of 2020: "Combat has got new feature where previously passive components can be overload if ship has extra energy. Shields can regenerate faster, engines allows ships move faster, cloaking devices prevents enemy locking on your ship. In one of the test games I was able to beat more powerful fleet by using cloaking devices and destroying one ship per turn and then running away from the combat just to get back energy reserves before attacking again."

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I found the ship-to-ship combat in the Lost Horizons mod for Pirates of the Caribbean to be quite good... until I encountered the bug where if you were chasing them, and they got out of sight, they disappeared off the face of the earth requiring a console command to get them back. Fuuuuuck that. Boarding the ship after you captured them had you facing off against a single overweight captain. Maybe City of Abandoned Ships didn't have these issues? The later Black Flag did boarding tactics right by having your entire crew face off against their entire crew, like it should be.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Couple of games which have been mentioned on this thread have been fully released.

Destroyer: The U-boat Hunter

Starfleet II: Krellan Commander Version 2.0

I might've missed others.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wh40k rogue trader has ship to ship combat. Sure it's a tacky addon(though fun enough), but it's there.

Modron

Arcane
Anyone ever try this? Despite being a movie license people say decent things about it and it's basically helmed by the people who made homeworld.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom